instrumentation inn Hard-Rock/Rock-Metal

Apedrakt

New Metal Member
Dec 31, 2015
Norway
Hi

I`m usually writing melodic death metal stuff, but i have resently started on a Hard-Rock type of project. I like to use alot of MIDI synth in my metal stuff and there is basicaly no parts in any of my songs without a synth part in the backround. i Have recorded the synth parts for one of the Hard-rock songs, with a distorted Hammond organ sound loaded, but that sound does not fit the next song, so i wanted to ask if you had any tips for other instruments that is fit for use in hard-rock/rock metal.
A couple of examples i was thinking about and wondering what they used ( Real instruments, MIDI? )
* Accept - Shades of death ( String part )
* Metallica - The memory remains ( The instrument Marianne Faithfull is playing in the music video, i have also seen monkeys playing this thing i think:) ) Do you have any such examples you like?

And also i feel a little imprisoned by feeling i have to have synth parts for every riff throughout every song because i'm afraid the songs would sound inconsistent from part to part or song to song. Any thoughts on that?

Thanx

for hard rock, wurlitzer's and rhodes are killer. piano's go really well with guitars IMO. mellotron is a classic and again blends with the guitar awesome. strings, brass, shakers, tambourine, cabassa. Anything goes really!

Great thanks!

i bought the mellotron to EZ keys from Toontrack and will be trying it on the track this weekend. Do you highpass the shit out of the Pianos and the other key instruments or do you leave some low end inn there?