Best MIDI setup for two keyboards?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting an 88 key controller as a keybed upgrade to my old 76key synth. I want to record and/or monitor audio into the DAW from the two keyboards, either separately or combined (triggering the two keyboards simultaneously while playing on the controller), and having a midi flow without erratic behaviors.

I don't care much about controlling parameters on the slave through the controller (although it would be nice) as I'm not using them live, but I'd like for the midi to trigger the notes and velocities in either -or in both- keyboards correctly.

The controller has midi in, midi out, and a usb connector. The synth has midi in, out and thru, no usb connection.

Would this routing be correct:

Computer MIDI out -> Controller MIDI in, Controller MIDI out -> Synth MIDI in, Synth MIDI out -> Computer MIDI IN

Or is the synth going to get confused by midi data from the controller?
I have this USB midi interface with 2 separate ins and outs lying around as a spare, I'm wondering if it's better to use that, or if a daisy chain is the way to go. Fwiw I have midi available on the DAW either through a FF800, or with a Scarlett I'm using as a secondary audio interface.

Since I'll be using just two keyboards I'm not sure if making use of the thru on the synth would represent any advantage (as it is the controller the one with no midi thru).

Sorry if the question seems somewhat basic but it's been ages since I saw MIDI at uni so I'm a bit rusty, and what I've been reading around sites is somewhat contradictory.

Thanks much for your help :)