Controlling a hardware synth module with a MIDI controller and a computer

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hey guys I just got a roland xv 5050 rack synth module. I'm confused on how to control it with a MIDI controller but also be able to control it with my computer. I want to be able to play the synth by hand with the MIDI controller and but also be able to play anything from my DAWs sequencer. I can't figure it out. I have a saffire pro 40 which has a MIDI interface built into it.

I haven't worked with multiple midi hardware, but I had worked with single synth keyboard (old casio)
in single hardware situation (computer - module / computer - synth keyboard) it's easy as connecting midi cables (in my situation I don't have interface with midi IO, so I have midi-usb cable, but situation should be the same) and routing your midi IO in DAW.
But since you want to have computer - controller - module, maybe you need to put them in chain (someone with more knowledge can fix me there) from interface out to controller in / controller out to module in/ module out to interface in ?
I don't know if your controller will pass further midi from your computer in such situation.

from interface out to controller in / controller out to module in/ module out to interface in ?
I don't know if your controller will pass further midi from your computer in such situation.

Yeah I tried that chain and it doesn't work. I can use the controller still but the MIDI from the computer won't have an affect. Thanks for your help though.