I just spent fifty dollars on four sets of guitar strings.

JBroll

I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!
Mar 8, 2006
San Antonio, TX, USA
Just under fifty dollars. Four sets. Fucking goddamn guitar strings.

Okay, so the story is that I felt like not dealing with high E strings anymore. I don't need the five notes that I can't get to without it, and it just doesn't feel all that nice anyway. On top of that I don't have the money for an eight, and won't anytime soon, but I really like having way too much lower range - I'd rather have too many low notes than not enough (everyone has to learn to exercise restraint sometime... I think... now whether or not I actually can is a different issue) and I like the way that insane low end sounds on the newest Meshuggah, Divine Heresy, and Mnemic stuff. So... in case you haven't figured out where this is going, I'm putting my Blackjack 7 down a fourth.

Since I also like heavy strings (standard+B set is 10-52+70) I had to custom-order shit from JustStrings.com - and go heavy. My Dean, which is currently in B standard, is strung with 14-18-24p-36-52-70, and while I like the low strings (more or less) the unwound strings could be a little lighter when I factor in the extra 1.75" on the Blackjack's scale... I lightened them up to 13-17-22 - the 24p is just weird, it sounds too different to blend well with the other strings and took too long to stretch, so I'm not going to bother with plain strings thicker than 22 anymore.

The heavy strings didn't need to change much, but the A could be a little heaver, and I had to figure out what to use on the F#. I promptly gave up on actually figuring out what to use when I had a choice between 80 and 90... obviously the 90 would be a better choice if I wanted to have anything near similar tension. Only thing to note... at JustStrings the GHS DY90 is three fucking dollars. One guitar string, three fucking dollars. The DY70 is a little less, but that bloody F# costs me as much as the E and A put together.

So, anyway... I'm just pissed because I spent enough on four packs of guitar strings to buy ten packs for just about anyone else. Maybe if I clean them like an operating table those will last me half a year. I guess I'm not buying gas, or eating out, or getting that hookah, or anything like that for a good fucking while... fuck me.

Order.JPG

Jeff

u got it hard? i baught a 5string matt black fretless about a year ago.. and still havent baught new strings for it. they cost around £50-£60 ($100-$120) and they were a light gauge... :( if anyone can find cheaper ones from around 45-135 gauge please let me know!

haha

i got a pack of these for my normal 5 string, and cost me £45.. and the 130 didnt even fit into the bridge!

Ok, just wondering why all the wound strings say the gauge, then the DY number (0.54, DY54). But the last string has a gauge of .074 and the DY number is 90. So wouldn't that imply that the DY90 string is actually only a .074 gauge? Maybe it's a typo, but I'd say double check with them Jeff that you're gonna get 4X .090 gauge and not 4X .074 gauge strings.

Yeah, I've been told that DY90 is in fact a 90 with a typo. If not, I told them to cancel the order and let me know if it was just a mislabeled 74. Worst case scenario, I just reorder with a few bass strings and use the 74s somewhere else.

Jeff

Sure, it's better to have too much warning than not enough.

Picstory of fret polishing, fretboard oiling, cleaning, and possibly high fret scalloping when it's in.

Jeff

u got it hard? i baught a 5string matt black fretless about a year ago.. and still havent baught new strings for it. they cost around £50-£60 ($100-$120) and they were a light gauge... :( if anyone can find cheaper ones from around 45-135 gauge please let me know!

haha

i got a pack of these for my normal 5 string, and cost me £45.. and the 130 didnt even fit into the bridge!

What about getting them from Musician's friend?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass-guitar-strings

there's musicstore and thomann- they sell strings for pretty cheap, do an order with some mates and get it over a certain amount and shipping becomes free