New strings

I've never boiled guitar strings, but I once did it with flatwound bass strings with some succes.
If I'm not recording, I can last a couple weeks (3-4) with the same set of guitar strings.
The DR seems to me that they live longer than the Dean Markley I used before. Maybe it's just me.

Good call, my brain is totally not where it usually is; wisdom teeth removal and the subsequent vicodin prescription have taken a toll!

Hope you don't get dry sockets....

I got them and that shit is painful.

I haven't broken a string in years...

I don't know why or how. It seems like it's a pretty common thing amongst guitarists.

I use .013's in C standard with 1.14 mm dunlop jazz picks

I think I've broken one string in the last 3 years or so and it would have to have been a dud, because I usually change my strings well before they get weak and corroded enough to break.

I did boil bass strings until I learned that's it's actually much better to just leave them in a bath of methylated spirits over night.
I do not restring my guitar to record an IDEA but for recording I totally think the extra 25$ are worth it.
actually, if a band comes in without some spare sets of new strings or without new drum skins I'm sending them to the next store, if they don't wana buy new strings/skins I'm sending them home

Fast%20Fret.jpg

This stuff works for me, with my acidic fingertips. Play 20 minutes, stop and clean the strings, then repeat. I can get about 1-2 weeks out of a set of strings if I use this shit - if not, it's like 3 days before they sound dull.

On my 5th day of elixir's and they're almost still perfect, my d'addario's would be sending out distress signals after a few hours. Never going back.

I am used to getting about 6-8 months out of my Elixirs before they lose their new/good sound, and another 4-6 months before they start to sound really muddy and lose their ability to hold pitch. I LOVE THEM.

You fucking snobs!
I can play with the same set for 6 months or more... 8 gigs more or less... and my home guitar's strings have been played for the last year.

And yes, i sweat like a beast and never used those cleaning products.

A pointer to you all: In Sweden there is a product called "Absolut Torr", which you apply to what ever part of your body you dont want to sweat any more!
Ive tried it for a week now and it works great.. my guitar strings lasts twice as long with the "new sound", because i have absolutely 0% sweat coming from my hands.

Im sure theres a similar product in most countries.. its a mix of alcohol and aluminum chloride.

There are lots of factors as to why strings change their tone over use and time. Personally I keep strings on my home practice guitar until they break because I don't really care what they sound like after 3 months of playing on them every day. My guitars get new strings after two live sets just for the piece of mind as I've never broken a string after hundreds of gigs. But for recording I change strings after 8 hours of tracking - period, if only for tonal consistency.

Fast%20Fret.jpg

This stuff works for me, with my acidic fingertips. Play 20 minutes, stop and clean the strings, then repeat. I can get about 1-2 weeks out of a set of strings if I use this shit - if not, it's like 3 days before they sound dull.

Fast Fret is the shit. I love that stuff. I've got a tube for each of my guitar cases and two on my studio desk. Waaayyyyy better than that Finger Ease shit; you might as well spray cooking spray on your strings.