Suggestions for good orchestral metal?

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
Being a fan of orchestral music and metal, I'm a sucker for when the two merge. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I'm not talking about synths with orchestral sounds. I'm talking about bands that have worked with actual orchestras and have crafted songs with the orchestra in mind. Also, I'm not talking about orchestral or string quartet "tributes". Nor am I talking about songs that have been reimagined with orchestral parts, a la Metallica's S&M.

My understanding of this is that recording with a real orchestra is expensive as hell, so it's rarely done. Honestly, the only one I know of is Death Cult Armageddon! :erk: Help me out, here, folks! Throw me a lifeline.

Oh, and I'm pretty ceratin I wouldn't want Opeth to ever do it.

Therion has done it, as have Pain of Salvation on "Be".

As for something over-the-top orchestra in your face... none come to mind immediately. i'll think more on it

One track that's really cool is the Final Fantasy Advent Children version of 'One Winged Angel'. Sadly I don't really know of any bands that mix metal and orchestral very well. Most I'm familiar with have just done it as a gimmick and it ends up sounding cheap like one.

Well put! Exactly my problem. I actually think Dimmu did a good job on DCA, especially on "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse". The orchestra is integral to the song.

There's some Italian power/fantasy metal band that recorded with Christopher Lee that uses real orchestra, isn't there? I've only heard of them and can't recall the name...

And CoF have used a real orchestra on albums too, as well as Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, and Once by Nightwish, maybe the one before it too, but I don't remember, and its not really what you are after I guess!

But there is an instrumental version of a song off once and its just the orchestral parts or something, and it sounded alright. But then I like all those bands anyway, I can't think of any others at the moment, and I know you would probably want more "respectable" bands, but its only the Dimmus and CoFs and Nightwish's that can really afford to do that stuff album after album.

Moonlapse said:
One track that's really cool is the Final Fantasy Advent Children version of 'One Winged Angel'. Sadly I don't really know of any bands that mix metal and orchestral very well. Most I'm familiar with have just done it as a gimmick and it ends up sounding cheap like one.
that song is *awesome*

Soundave you're looking for Rhapsody, cheesy band that they are, they're an example of this and Christopher Lee was involved

Yeah. You have to have the money to do it. What shocks me is that Blind Guardian still does shit with synths and complained that it was too expensive to record with a real orchestra. Blind Guardian can't afford it but Dimmu can? I guess I overestimated BG's popularity...

Kenneth R. said:
that song is *awesome*

Soundave you're looking for Rhapsody, cheesy band that they are, they're an example of this and Christopher Lee was involved

Right. Thanks. Any good, even if it is cheesy?

You prolly know about this one, but check out Metallicas 'S&M' cd. A live collaboration with Michael Kamens Orchestra...gd stuff

off topic but Dream Theater just closed their tour with a second set with a live orchestra which will be coming out on DVD and CD... from my understanding they performed all of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance and the songs Sacrificed Sons and Octovarium with the live orchestra... fuck that must have been EPIC

FUBAR said:
:lol: I have a habit of doin this...:erk:

No worries, FUBAR. Again, not really what I'm looking for, but pretty entertaining nonetheless. Think I'll watch the DVD now. Haven't seen it since I got my new home theater setup. My 1 yr old should enjoy it...

Iwas just listening to a sample of green carnations light of day day of darkness and - although im sure its fake - there is some orchestral stuff on there...

malmsteen - concerto for guitar and orchestra

weak orchestration, but yngwie has some ridiculous solos on this one.

derbeder said:
malmsteen - concerto for guitar and orchestra

weak orchestration, but yngwie has some ridiculous solos on this one.

Right... forgot about that. That one's easy for me to get my hands on. Thanks.