Suggestions for good orchestral metal?

i tend not to like blending orchestra with metal. usually the orchestration is very poorly done and resembles music for sci fi movies.
the new satyricon album Now, Diabolical has a brass section playing on the last song, 'to the mountains'. it really works. did anyone listen to the webcast of their concert in the norwegian national radio two days ago? i missed it :cry:

after maybe like two years i am listening to ynywie's concerto. fuck i thought i didn't like it. i am really enjoying it right now. i thank this thread for reminding me that i have the cd.

Hmm, I like Yes, and they did not really do it with an orchestra, neither did bands like Deap Purple (showing my age). The reality fo rme is to have an orchestra is a gimmic, it can all be done - better, with the modern technology with keyboards.
In my defence I do like some classical, mainly the atmospheric type of stuff.

Kenneth R. said:
new one? :D im intrigued.

i just remembered Trans Siberian Orchestra employ a small orchestra for their material...

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]her some news for ye ken[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]10th March 2006 - PRESS RELEASE from THE END RECORDS:

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Virgin Black to release three albums in 2006

The music world is rife with bold claims that deliver little. Virgin Black is a band that has historically not only avoided that pitfall, but soared above it. The scope of its latest offering is ambitious almost to the point of absurdity. In a groundbreaking endeavour, Australia’s premier experimentalists will release three albums simultaneously. Each is a separate entity, but each is also linked through recurring musical themes and artistic motifs. When fully unfurled in all its grandeur, listeners will experience a grandiloquent two and a half hour requiem mass with three stages of evolution.

Requiem – pianissimo is an entirely classical album with instrumentation performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, and featuring spectacular choral arrangements along with tenor, mezzo-soprano and soprano solo voices. Requiem – pianissimo forsakes guitars and drums in favour of the melancholic tragedy and bombastic dynamics of classical composition.

Requiem – mezzo forte is where the band joins the orchestra and strikes a balance more reminiscent of previous Virgin Black outings, albeit with greater epic breadth.

The final album, Requiem – fortissimo, unleashes a sound infinitely heavier than anything in Virgin Black’s history. While still retaining an air of classical sensibility, it concludes the series with an intense dose of death/doom.

With Virgin Black, ambition is a given. Requiem is beyond ambition.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]10th March 2006 - To coincide with the announcement of Virgin Black’s Requiem, the band will be giving fans an inside view of the production process by revealing excerpts of string arrangements performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra - (available soon for download, and to be featured on The End Records sampler).[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]20th November 2005 - Virgin Black's U.S. label The End Records have just signed a distribution deal with the monolith that is SONYBMG/RED division, effective 27th Nov. They were voted distributor of the year in 2005 and promise to push the label and its bands to the next level.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]31st August 2005 - Virgin Black are set to amaze us yet again with the promise of an extraordinary next release. The largest piece of the puzzle to be unearthed thus far is the revelation that they have just finished recording with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra, featuring principal violinist Michael Milton and conducted by the A.S.O.'s Bruce Stewart. The sessions were recorded in the lush environment of Adelaide's Grainger Studios with composers Samantha Escarbe and Rowan London said to be overwhelmed by the experience of having "notes that were so long paper-bound, leaping off the page". Word is that it should see the light of day early next year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
aso.jpg
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Ken Lyall said:
Hmm, I like Yes, and they did not really do it with an orchestra, neither did bands like Deap Purple (showing my age). The reality fo rme is to have an orchestra is a gimmic, it can all be done - better, with the modern technology with keyboards.
In my defence I do like some classical, mainly the atmospheric type of stuff.

Yes did use an orchestra at one point didn't they? I seem to remember something like that on a DVD with some computer animated thing and stuff...

Linkin park - Breaking the habit, they used a real mini orcestra for that :) and guess what? there are TWO guitar riffs in that song! yes you heard me...TWO! what an improvement for linkin park :)

Mumblefood said:
not QUITE metal, but quite "metal" in character is Elend.

Get either Winds Devouring Men (more ambient, minimalistic) or Sunwar The Dead (more violent).

If you like modernists a la scelsi, bartok, ligeti, etc. You'll like Elend.
You know I do!

Getting lots of good stuff here. A number of bands I've never heard of, which is what I was hoping for. Gotta write these down.

probably gonna get a bunch of people trying to be cool by mocking this one but I like it so who cares:

Extreme - III Sides To Every Story

Alteredmindeath said:
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]her some news for ye ken[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]10th March 2006 - PRESS RELEASE from THE END RECORDS:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
WOW PSYCHED :kickass: I loved the first 2 albums.

Hollenthon- With Vilest of Worms to Dwell

I find it has somewhat of an orchestral feeling at times. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Note to self... read ENTIRE post before replying. This is more likely to be orchestral sounding synth... a solid record, regardless!

cheechonaleash said:
Hollenthon- With Vilest of Worms to Dwell

I find it has somewhat of an orchestral feeling at times. Even if it's not exactly what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Note to self... read ENTIRE post before replying. This is more likely to be orchestral sounding synth... a solid record, regardless!

Yep. Have it and enjoy it, even if it does sound synthy at times.

Goober said:
Linkin park - Breaking the habit, they used a real mini orcestra for that :) and guess what? there are TWO guitar riffs in that song! yes you heard me...TWO! what an improvement for linkin park :)

Shame, shame, I know your name. Why would you listen to a full Linkin Park song!?