Opeth - Two Styles

Originally posted by Moonlapse
The occassional mellow song (or mellow CD :)) is good but if they were to keep it as their style I think that they would get a bit monotonous, despite Mikael's amazing ability to write layered music.

Why would you think that a mellow Opeth would get monotonius, Mikael has proved that he´s a pretty talented song writer and I bet he can hold my attention with only mellow music. I mean I really like katatonia and they are rather mellow and Anathema as well.

Yes I will still support the band but honestly I don't think that the mellow record will sell that much, maybe 150,000 copies but not more. If you look at a band like Porcupine Tree, they have everything to be commercial and sell a lot but unfortunately they're still underground, if you don't have the support of radio's stations + MTV + the record company it's impossible for those bands to reach a wider audience.

It's my opinion.

BTW, Paul your new album is great !

i am pretty sure if they will made only mellow music they will sell less copies not more.

'cause they are a metal band and the majority of the fans listen only to heavy music(dumb metalheads:puke: ).

so better question is if they will made electronic music...
what will happen?

:lol:

Opeth isn't seperating their two styles. The heavy album is going to be traditional Opeth, heavy, but with mellow and acoustic moments. The mellow album, though is all mellow. So basically its the regular style and then a totally new venture for them.

I am looking forward to both albums plain and simple. I think that the mellow one will perhaps attract them more attention from more main stream areas (which could end up being horrid to have everyone raving about how wonderful this 'new' music is. Oi!) however I really hope that doesn't happen and something tells me that it won't because the band won't let it.

However, since I am an avid hoarder of all things Opeth I won't mind if they lose the growl and obviously it won't feel like the same 'old Opeth', but every band does have to evolve.