Berklee show the Best Opeth show EVER!

ddicosmo

Apr 30, 2001
Nashua, NH USA
Visit site
The 7/19/03 Opeth and Porcupine Tree show at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston, MA was the best Opeth show ever. It was performed flawlessly in a perfect setting. The acoustics were unbelievable. The perfect setting for the softer Damnation material. Benighted and Face of Melinda were ablsolutely heavenly as was all of the Damnation stuff they played as well as the unbelievable rendition of Deep Purple's Soldier of Fortune. Mikael was perfect with the crowd. What a show! This will be the best Opeth bootleg ever! (I hope someone taped the show!)

I was there too, and it was definitely an amazing show. I also left before PT, not because I hate them, I've actually never heard them, but my g/f wanted to leave and I didn't really care either way. Did you guys see Martin and Martin hanging out right in front about an hour before the show? Right when I turned the corner I saw Mike and Pete heading to the bus, but I would have had to run after them to catch them before they got on and that would have been pretty gay, so I missed meeting Mike by about 10 seconds. Damn!

DOH! Shit, man. Next time run! Run like a little girl! :lol:

Great venue indeed. Sitting down felt a little weird, but it was a welcomed weird. There wasn't any random shifting of bodies, people standing RIGHT in front of me or the occasional feel up from an unknown source. :err:

They played all of D2 except Death Whispered A Lullaby and Ending Credits. Weakness, most unexpected, was like a rarity to see live. My highlights: I wished to see Windowpane live since the day I got the CD. Finally. Fish fish, I got my wish! :p AND To Bid You Farewell! I never thought I'd see this. NEVER. And with Benighted finally recorded forever in my brain's movie viewer, I will die happy.

I'm usually so overwhelmed by their shows, the tracks never stay clicked in my head. I let myself get o_O by the music and can't really think straight until I leave the building. It's most euphoric. Besides the gay call outs and the lack of understanding by some of the crowd (that it was going to be a mellow set w/no request) that was THE most intriguing night of music I've ever seen. Bravo!

The only thing I didn't like about sitting was how many people kept coming and going and getting in the way, and also for such a small place I can't believe how many people stood in the aisle for 5 minutes looking for their seats, even with the ushers and their little flashlights. It was pretty distracting at a couple points. But seeing them in such a small place, and with such amazing sound, definitely made up for any minor complaints. I am seeing APC there in a couple weeks, and I imagine people will be standing like at a regular show, so it won't be so distracting when people are getting up and down and walking by etc.