Opeth, best band ever?

Opeth = best band.

I feel like im comin out of some closet or something

'high my names bleakest, and im an opeth listener'
'hi bleakest'

on a bloody opeth forum!

@pac1288 only- I will express my "little views, but lets try to keep this civilized. OK?

Whiner? Why is a person is constantly called a whiner for telling the truth? Hm. Makes me wonder. Oh well, here we go.

Originally posted by pac1288
@Dreamlord:

We are on the Opeth forum right?
Obviously

So whats the big deal if members here talk about'em to a high degree?
There is a difference in "talking about them in a high degree" and total cock sucking and ass kissing.

isn't that the whole point?
To kiss the band's ass?

I wouldn't praise Opeth somewhere else but I don't see anything wrong with doing it here.
Why not?

Personaly I see nothing wrong with it, its all done here on the Opeth forums so who gives a fuck, if it bothers you so damn much then don't browse these forums, its as simple as that.
Perhaps, but reading this stuff is amusing at best and simply pathetic at worst.

For those people that are open about there sentiments regarding Opeth then good for them, the band deserves it anyways.
They desrve for people to kiss their ass?

I know of no other metal band that has captured the magic that Opeth currently have,
You need to explore more bands then.

and that makes me proud that there not like the majority of these stupid metal bands that are out right now.
What makes the "majority of these stupid metal bands" so stupid? THe fact that you don't like them?

I seriously don' t blame members here on the Opeth forum for liking them to such a high extent.
I would never blame anyone for liking a band's music, but where I draw the line is when people start worshiping the band members themselves.

Damn if it weren't for Opeth I probably wouldn't even give a fuck about metal and would be more focused in prog-rock, reggae, latin rock, general latin music, jazz, tropical, bass guitar oriented music/fusion, and various others.

That's nice

If anything I believe most Opeth fans are beginning to realise that most metal sucks and theres more to music than just metal.
There has always been more music than just metal, before and after Opeth.

And they have Opeth to thank for that.
Not exactly.

One more thing: IF other bands don't get a lot of praise on there own forums its probably because there not as "special" to qualify for such a high degree of praise like Opeth do here on there forums, I guess that would explain that.
Actually every forum on UM has its fair share of fanboys. Quite amusing really

So for those of you that contradict Opeth all the time fucking get over it and see it from a different perpective.
Whose perspective? Yours?

Again, these comments were for pac1288, no one else. Lets keep it civilized. Like men.:)

Dreamlord: One flaw in your argument is that they are kissing Opeth's ass. Mikael does post occasionally, but I doubt Opeth will ever see this huge praise.

Opeth is my favorite band, but the phrase "best band ever" is laughable always. I don't blame Dreamlord for being somewhat cynical about it, but I do blame him for acting as if he was surprised. ;)

Originally posted by TheLedTool
Dreamlord: One flaw in your argument is that they are kissing Opeth's ass. Mikael does post occasionally, but I doubt Opeth will ever see this huge praise.

Opeth is my favorite band, but the phrase "best band ever" is laughable always. I don't blame Dreamlord for being somewhat cynical about it, but I do blame him for acting as if he was surprised. ;)

Fair enough. I shouldn't be surprised in the Fanboy Capital of the Internet.

Dreamlord, you're a winner. I don't understand how someone liking Opeth and naming them their favorite band makes them closed-minded and naive to what's out there. I'm sure as fuck i know pretty much every band you know and i still put Opeth on the top. What's wrong with that? Can you explain to me what it is that makes Opeth so bad to you? PLEASE?!?! because i know I want to hate them too like you, it's so cool.

Since Iced Earth's probably going straight down Opeth's taking over the throne... Hell, they're taking over it anyway.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Fair enough. I shouldn't be surprised in the Fanboy Capital of the Internet.

That is a completely baseless statement. If you actually spend time reading this message board instead of making sweeping generalisations, then you'd find that most people here are as open minded as you could possibly get relating to music. Do you think, that on OPETHs message board that there would be no praise for them? If so then you are stupid.

Nobody here thinks that Opeth is the be-all and end-all of music. They are a unique metal band, nobody else does what they do. That is why they are held in such high regard.

Originally posted by pac1288
I know of no other metal band that has captured the magic that Opeth currently have, and that makes me proud that there not like the majority of these stupid metal bands that are out right now.
This is where this kinda stuff goes a bit too far. Turning what is a subjective opinion into some objective fact. Calling Opeth gods is one thing, putting down other bands is another. If someone loves a band and expresses that then ive got no problem (well, sometimes its funny, but many people go through a period of fanboyism, especially with the first metal band that they find since they're usually so much better than radio stuff.. but with time most get over it). But when they start putting down other bands and making it sound like a objective thing (when really its largely a subjective opinion) is when it gets rather silly. None of this was present in the first post however, he even said "To me..." which shows he knows its a subjective thing, so no problems here. Theres no need to always state that its just your opinion or whatever, and most people dont, but many people just dont realise how big a part their own likes/dislikes play in their opinion of music.

If anything I believe most Opeth fans are beginning to realise that most metal sucks and theres more to music than just metal. And they have Opeth to thank for that.
Most metal sucks? Opeth do some things better than most other bands (well, they're amongst the best). However they do many things worse than most other bands (eg. repetition of riffs). This is what its like for EVERY band, they're all good at some things, worse at others. It all comes down to what you want from music and how much a particular band fulfills those wants. But because a band doesnt fulfil your desires doesnt mean they suck.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
I would never blame anyone for liking a band's music, but where I draw the line is when people start worshiping the band members themselves.
I dont think there was anything too wrong with this first post. Opeth have a pretty unique range of skills (as do many many bands), and for me a few years ago these skills exactly matched what i was looking for, and so for me they were the best band ever (and even though i dont love them as much anymore nothing has come close to that first few months with opeth). For this guy its probably the same, its something many people go through when they find the first band that really fills all their desires from music (and of course every band is slightly different and everyone will have a different band that this will be), calling them the best band in the world may be a bit extreme but its not something that needs arguing against, maybe a bit of assistance in understanding the subjectiveness of the opinion (to prevent the person from sucking up to bandmates when its the music they like, or prevent them from not seeing how other music is just as good, or to show them their own favourite band isnt perfect), but really theres nothing harmful or unusual about such a post as this guys.

I used to argue with someone about how much better Opeth were than Tool, now i realise how they are both good bands with quite different skills and are doing quite different things and hence shouldnt be compared in some aim to prove which is "better". I discovered Opeth were my favourite band, but that that didnt mean i had to prove they were the best at everything, i realised my subjective opinion had little weight in the objective world. I think thats the only important lesson that needs to be learnt, and calling someone a fanboy and telling them to go away isnt going to help in that lesson.

I prefer not to give the tag of "best band ever" to any band, because lets face it - it's just one persons opinion, and more realistically, you cannot have possibly heard every band or artist around or that has existed, making it a pretty redundant and meaningless term.

I'm content with "Opeth fucking rule" and thats good enough for me.

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
I wonder WHY this would be considered the fanboy capital of the internet? hmm? it couldn't POSSIBLY be that Opeth has something that is really exceptional could it?

Yet another one of my posts being criticized for telling the truth. Does truth hurt, my friend?;)