Opeth, best band ever?

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
Dreamlord, you're a winner.
Thank you. I know.

I don't understand how someone liking Opeth and naming them their favorite band makes them closed-minded and naive to what's out there.
Simple. It doesn't. But when people say stuff about every band sucks, or other music is stupid compared to Opeth, then yes, I'll call you out.

I'm sure as fuck i know pretty much every band you know
Maybe. Maybe not. I doubt it though.

and i still put Opeth on the top.
Congrats.

What's wrong with that?
Absolutely nothing.

Can you explain to me what it is that makes Opeth so bad to you? PLEASE?!?!
If you had cared to read the thread, not one of my posts was directed at the band, but at the fans on the forum. I actually enjoy the first two albums (although I don't listen to them much), but the subsequent three have been less than stellar IMHO. Happy?

because i know I want to hate them too like you, it's so cool.

Ah, yes, the ever so present "I hate them cuz it's KeWl!" argument. C'mon, you can do better than this. Merely laughable. Again, not one of my posts was directed at the band. Read up.;)

Guys it's no use, you can't compete with Dreamlord's flippant one-liners. He's obviously far too smart for all of you, and his tendency to call anyone who likes any Opeth album besides Orchid and Morningrise a fanboy does not at all make him look like an idiotic hypocrite who's just as bad as the "fanboys" he constantly flames on here. And I'm sure he's so smart he's just going to quote my post and respond with another infinitely wise one-liner of his. Dreamlord is your god, bow down.

Yup. Mm-hmmmm. I knew this thread was gonna be trouble the moment I saw the topic.

Only one band is better than Opeth: Agalloch. My freakin' opinion, of course.

Originally posted by IanDork107
Sacrilicious is my god thanks to the best damn selection of mp3's on the hub and an awesome selection.... :)

Uh oh man, I think Dreamlord is going to smack you down with another patented DREAMBURN like ":rolleyes:" or "I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you."

Thanks though :)

Opeth is tied for my favorite band (along with Pain of Salvation). But I don't think one can name (or attempt) the best band, that's like saying "God looks like..."

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
This is where this kinda stuff goes a bit too far. Turning what is a subjective opinion into some objective fact. Calling Opeth gods is one thing, putting down other bands is another. If someone loves a band and expresses that then ive got no problem (well, sometimes its funny, but many people go through a period of fanboyism, especially with the first metal band that they find since they're usually so much better than radio stuff.. but with time most get over it). But when they start putting down other bands and making it sound like a objective thing (when really its largely a subjective opinion) is when it gets rather silly. None of this was present in the first post however, he even said "To me..." which shows he knows its a subjective thing, so no problems here. Theres no need to always state that its just your opinion or whatever, and most people dont, but many people just dont realise how big a part their own likes/dislikes play in their opinion of music.

Yoyak: I DID NOT say that all metal bands were stupid I just said the majority NOT ALL, I don't know maybe you missed that part. Of course theres many metal bands right now that intrigue me quite a bit if not a lot, But to be honest I'm pretty frustrated with the majority of the metal/death metal bands that are currently out in the market, and believe me I have exposed myself to a LARGE number of metal bands and there are not many that impress me all that much, there just nor really executing anything that is all that special and new, nothing fresh its just the same old shit and to me it gets kind of irritating to be honest, but like I mentioned there are ones out there that make me go " wow interesting" but theres not many. The only ones that really draw my attention are the technical bands, fusion metal bands, and bands that have distictiveness but thats about it. I mean in the early 90's the only death metal bands that I really cared for were Atheist, Cynic, Death, Carcass, Carbonized, Pestilence, Demilich, Nocturnus, Mercyless, Sadus, and several other tech-death metal bands which at the time were very unique and interesting and they still are.

Most metal sucks?

Like I said most not ALL, there are bands that impress me. please remember this is my opinion.

Originally posted by Dreamlord

Whiner? Why is a person is constantly called a whiner for telling the truth? Hm. Makes me wonder. Oh well, here we go.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man you are so lost..literally.:lol:

The only reason why I defend people that advocate Opeth wether its a little or a lot its because I feel that theres nothing wrong with it for the reasone being that there on the Opeth message board...get it or do you not get it. If you were on another message board talking shit all fucking day about Opeth I personally would not give a fuck and I would not say anything about it..get it. :lol:

Its not your so called "truth" that bothers me its the fact that you make it sound like its some bad thing for individuals to like a band to such a degree, when realistically its not, just to yourself.

Dreamlord just face it your a fool if you think all this praise is some negative thing when its done on a bands message board, this is the only place I praise the band I don't do it much but theres times that I do...so what... I don't do it anywhere else, due to the fact that I believe it would be idiotic elsewhere.

I'm also not obsessed with Opeth, I just defend forum members that are attacked un-necessarily for praising Opeth on the bands message board, got that pussyboy or do you not undertand yet do I have to elaborate further because if I do just holler. :lol: :lol:

:cool:

so for me they were the best band ever (and even though i dont love them as much anymore nothing has come close to that first few months with opeth).

So true Yayo, so true. *clicks fingers*

When I first got into Opeth I used to blab away to my friends, 'Opeth is so good because they do this better then that band, and this better then that band...etc...' and Opeth was all I listened to...I was an obssessed fanboy. I began to hate Tool and almost all other metal bands and deemed them all inferior, Opeth are the best of all bands ever, I would think. But after a while I discovered lots of other good metal bands and after being such a huge Opeth fanboy for so long I know realises all of the great stuff I was missing.

Opeth is undoubtably a great band but they can't do everything. Sometimes I find myself a bit bored of their tried and true formula and find even something more accessible, like say Deftones, to be a nice alternative. Sometimes Opeths songs epicness makes it feel like its a bit of an effort to bother listening to them, so I put on something else.

If you are are 'fanboy' who thinks Opeth is the BE ALL AND END ALL OF METAL...its ok, because I was like that too. Almost everyone who discovers Opeth after listening to 'crap metal' for so long go through this phase. It will pass. As for me I'm left with the feeling that Opeth are one of the greatest bands ever in terms of innovation and brilliance, but saying they are the best is irrelevant. They cannot be the best at everything, like Yayo said. Have an open mind and listen to other things, because I'm sure you will find there is a wealth of metal out there almost ;) as good as Opeth.