OPeTH and the Acoustic Guitars

Totally off topic here... I keep noticing the use of the word "noone" on these forums. Do you think people are accidentally forgetting to hit the space bar or is that how it's done in some countries? I'm not being a smart-ass here, I seriously wondered at first - what this noone word was - my brain didn't pick out "no one" the first few times, I just saw "nooooooone". :)

Acoustic guitar, in my opinion, is a much better tool to convey emotions, skill and a sense of dread and darkness

True, same goes for the piano... I hope the new Opeth includes much more "Per" in the mix. Let's not focus too much on "waah waah" Downer Dude with the "dread and darkness" comment, though, and not forget that it also can convey beauty, light and hope as well. I think it's safe to say that many acoustic stringed instruments just plainly allow humans to express emotion, period; especially the human voice.

The two times I've seen Opeth live I thought that the usage of the acoustic simulator sounded great. I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't want to use one in the studio. My guitarist has a simulator as well, along with two beautiful Martin acoustics, and there's just no replacing the acoustic guitars. Same goes for piano. Many of the keyboards out there do a GREAT job of replicating piano sounds, but nothing beats a real grand piano in the right room.

I'm sure other people may not feel this way, but I would LOVE to hear an all acoustic Opeth album. What really inspired me to desire this were "Still day beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II" - two amazingly beautiful songs that really put me in the mood, not to mention all of another amazing acoustic gem.."Benighted". An entire album dedicated to that amazing folk sound that Mikael pours forth from his soul, with some acoustic bass and some light drums or hand drums...something...oh that would light my fire..something to fill my ears as I lay underneath a dying tree in the middle of the forest surrounded by the brown and red falling leaves and the smell of fall...ahhhhh:)

True, same goes for the piano... I hope the new Opeth includes much more "Per" in the mix. Let's not focus too much on "waah waah" Downer Dude with the "dread and darkness" comment, though, and not forget that it also can convey beauty, light and hope as well. I think it's safe to say that many acoustic stringed instruments just plainly allow humans to express emotion, period; especially the human voice.

The two times I've seen Opeth live I thought that the usage of the acoustic simulator sounded great. I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't want to use one in the studio. My guitarist has a simulator as well, along with two beautiful Martin acoustics, and there's just no replacing the acoustic guitars. Same goes for piano. Many of the keyboards out there do a GREAT job of replicating piano sounds, but nothing beats a real grand piano in the right room.

Dread and darkness do not necessarily have to be a "bad" thing..life is not everything you were taught, all emotions have a place in the great wheel. It is possible to feel dread and darkness and appreciate it. But I do agree that soft spoken acoustics as well as pianos can portray hope, beauty and light.

I'm sure other people may not feel this way, but I would LOVE to hear an all acoustic Opeth album. What really inspired me to desire this were "Still day beneath the Sun" and "Patterns in the Ivy II" - two amazingly beautiful songs that really put me in the mood, not to mention all of another amazing acoustic gem.."Benighted". An entire album dedicated to that amazing folk sound that Mikael pours forth from his soul, with some acoustic bass and some light drums or hand drums...something...oh that would light my fire..something to fill my ears as I lay underneath a dying tree in the middle of the forest surrounded by the brown and red falling leaves and the smell of fall...ahhhhh:)

+1

Plus, everyone seems to have forgotten about "Credence" which is an awesomeness by itself.

In all fairness, Damnation isn't really an "acoustic" album. It's "mellow". Lots of clean electric sounds.

That is true Soundave Damnation actually is not 100% acoustics album, therefor it should not be considered a acoustic album, but a clean album with no metal parts. I still want to know if these guys have heard Damnation though, their comments make me curious. Damnation would ease some of their thoughts if they are virgins to this record.

That is true Soundave Damnation actually is not 100% acoustics album, therefor it should not be considered a acoustic album, but a clean album with no metal parts. I still want to know if these guys have heard Damnation though, their comments make me curious. Damnation would ease some of their thoughts if they are virgins to this record.

True. I guess I can't imagine them not having heard it. That would be :erk:

I still want to know if these guys have heard Damnation though, their comments make me curious. Damnation would ease some of their thoughts if they are virgins to this record.

If I'm included in that "newb" bunch, which I'm assuming I am, then YES I've heard Damnation, about 500 times! I got that sheeat the day it came out and I've been listening to Opeth in general since 2001. I was able to convert many friends and family into Opeth fans via the Damnation album.

My agreement about an acoustic album comes from the fact that I just love listening to Mikael sing and play the acoustic guitar. A great example would be the intro to Closure off of Damnation. I'll reiterate that if he were to compose an entire album of lullabies, I'd be a happy camper.

Everyone should convert their families into Opethians. My dad is 56, and I got him into Opeth with Blackwater Park, he digs them and he was a 1st generation metalhead so he's in heaven big time with some of these new metal bands.

Yes an 100% all acoustics album would be interesting, they should even record it in the woods like Satyricon did. I don't know about the lullabies but an acoustic album for sure.