OPeTH and the Acoustic Guitars

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
Ok people Opeth is cool ,so I like the acoustic guitars on Opeth albums, not just the clean sounds from the electric. SO I am saying please Mike use a shit load of acoustic guitars on the next record, and not just clean electric sounds.:loco:

Ok people Opeth is cool ,so I like the acoustic guitars on Opeth albums, not just the clean sounds from the electric. SO I am saying please Mike use a shit load of acoustic guitars on the next record, and not just clean electric sounds.:loco:

I honestly really don't think Mike will consider your post, and good for him, but hey... nice try.
I just think his writing goes with inspiration and not with suggestions.

On my side, I will just love whatever Mike will come up with, he simply has it all.

All i am saying is don't forget the acoustic, some of the best Opeth riffs have been on the acoustic.
On Ghost reveries Mike used a certain guitar effect on his electric guitar to make it sound acoustic, I think he should of only used that effect when playing live and not on a studio album. Using a real acoustic guitar would make it sound better and more clear, the acoustic guitar can speak more clearly than an electric with no distortion. I really wish Mike could use a real acoustic guitar when playing live on some of the old songs, but I know it would be a hassle to pull off.

In the end the acoustic is magic, its an instrument you can take anywhere with you... a foresty hill, a swamp, or a dark mountain side and let nature write songs for you through your body... and it helps add to the magic of Opeths music. I know I know ...Opeth is fucking Brutal and that element is of course a must have ingredient. Looking to hearing the next album regardless of this complaint.

I thought he used a decent amount of acoustic guitars on Ghost Reveries, middle section of Harlequin Forest comes to mind. Didn't he write the album on his 12-string acoustic also?

Actually, I agree - I'd love to have more acoustic parts. Blackwater Park and Still Life had the perfect mixes of both, I reckon.

But even if he doesn't, I'm sure I'll still be happy with whatever he writes.

I'm sure whatever Mike comes up with will sound good. But of course, acoustics always sound beautiful.

I do love the acoustic guitars...but the clean electric tones are by far my favs...love them way more than distorted riffs.... they're more complex and rich sounding...linda like a good wine.... but everything has it's place and the distorted parts add to the coolness of the clean ones and acoustic ones when in transition from one to the other...

It's you who doesn't know what the hell you are talking about.

They used loads of acoustic guitars on GR! Of course they will
continue with that because they've always done it!

Dear Brilliant Genius

We are talking about Acoustics Vs Electric clean sound Vs Acoustic guitar effect for electric. thank you and tanks for popping by.

I would love to hear an album that consisted of the core sound of Benighted, The face of Melinda and Harvest. Damnation is an amazing album, but it didn't quite scratch my acoustic itch.

I would NEVER use a acoustic guitar simulator in the studio. I have 2 beautiful Martin 000's that I just play straight into a good microphone, or rather several mics. I think we used 3 different ones in different positions on Ghost reveries. No simulator could match that sound in a million years.

Live however I use the acoustic simulator that's in the GT6 and now GT8 (this one is better). We have used acoustic guitars on stage before but it's always a hassle and I wouldn't want to use them geeky acoustic guitar stands. Basically we all use what's convenient live while in the studio we always go for the real deal.

Mike

Acoustic guitar, in my opinion, is a much better tool to convey emotions, skill and a sense of dread and darkness

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6397952 said:
I would NEVER use a acoustic guitar simulator in the studio. I have 2 beautiful Martin 000's that I just play straight into a good microphone, or rather several mics. I think we used 3 different ones in different positions on Ghost reveries. No simulator could match that sound in a million years.

Live however I use the acoustic simulator that's in the GT6 and now GT8 (this one is better). We have used acoustic guitars on stage before but it's always a hassle and I wouldn't want to use them geeky acoustic guitar stands. Basically we all use what's convenient live while in the studio we always go for the real deal.

Mike

thats awsome, thanks for posting man:headbang: