Opeth are no longer my fav.

bleed for me

Sep 9, 2001
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I have realized that like Novembre more than Opeth. I never thought this would ever happen but it has. Even though "I wish i could dream it again" was terrible, there is no album i like more than Classica and Novembrine waltz is fucking stunning.

Reasons:
First of all, the vocals are better, clean and screaming. It simply has more emotion in them. THe clean vocals have more range and i prefer the screaming of Novembre to the growling of Opeth. Personal Choice

Production of Classica and NW is amazing, perfect balance of intruments, very VERY atmospheric (check out 'nostalgiaplatz'). The latest three Opeth albums have really good production but Orchid and Morningrise feel 'hollow' to me.

The guitar solos are much more emotional and i LOVE the lead guitar tone (check out 'Tales from a winter to come' at 5:09).

They are more diverse than Opeth. Opeth tends to stick to the extremes, Death vocals and then acoustic passages with clean vocals. They don't fill in the gaps as much as Novembre do.

Novembre are more creative. They experiment with sounds and have some really cool sounding parts. (check out 'Distances' at 3:02)

The songs are shorter so they're easier to get into.

Opeth are still one of my favourites and the still and always will fucking rule!!!!!!! but i am starting to enjoy Novembre's music more.

Coincidentally I just got Classica and Novembrine Waltz today. I've only heard a bunch of random mp3s from both albums before, and it seemed excellent (hence me ordering the CDs).

I haven't listened to the albums yet (they are in the pile of CDs with the rest of the order, awaiting to be ripped to mp3 since I have no CD player) so I can't comment on the "better than Opeth" thing yet. I doubt it, but it doesn't have to be to still be excellent.

I am intrigued. This thread could be very useful to me, but i will not know that for sure till ive had time to think.

I still rate Opeth above Novembre for a number of reasons, yet i havent heard that much novembre to judge fairly, so i wont state my opinions just yet and i shall have a listen to the few songs i have got first.

(Distances, Winter 1941, Cold Blue Steel, Come Perriot, From Winters to Come....... would you say thats enough to fairly judge them from?)

Novembre is an excellent band, but their songs just don't speak to me like Opeth's. I love listening to "Classica" from time to time, but I love listening to Opeth ALL the time. That, to me, is the key difference.

At least Opeth didn't get replaced with some POS band as your favorite, though.

I have a feeling Agalloch may take the reigning spot of Opeth. Even though Opeth is my favorite band, it seems sometiems I can't stand them, and sometimes I can. Lately its been Agalloch, and Arcturus.

I think its very hard to compare Novembre and Opeth, but since Novembrine Waltz is one of my (if not the only one) favorite albums of all time, and Opeth's albums are a little farther down my list, I'd have to take the stance of the first post in this thread. :)

That's your oppinion man :D I dont' hate you for it. But all the things you've said you liked about november, is what I like about Opeth.

I've never really heard Novembre...now im really interested to. But I dont' know what the vocals are like...but Im thinking they're more black metal from your description. Now I listen to A SHITLOAD of black metal. I love it...so I kinda grow tired of the demonic sceeches. That's why I love Opeth, Mikes has very nice growls. And they're breat of fresh air to me. Just like when I go...
"MMmm...let me throw on Dying Fetus."

Second Opeth is the ONLY band...where I listen to them and find myself LOST within the music. It's like I listen to it...zone out and Im completley into it. It's like a vacation, or a journey of some sort.

Production wise....ANYTHING sounds better when you listen to Dark Thron Blaze in the Northern sky 3 times a day :D So...prodiction doesn't bother me all that much. Yeah the last 3 albums had better and warmer production...but ANYTHINGS better then The cold produciton of the second wave of black metal. But I love that too...so go figure :D

Well, this is a great post, Im going to go look for some Novembre...sounds like they're bad ass. So thanks for posting it.

Has any of you heard the band Rapture from Finland, they're on Spike farm. REALLY REALLY GOOD STUFF! Check it out :D

Laters all have fun :D

Man I have truly only really liked one Opeth album and that one was Orchid......My arms, your hearse wasnt much of a great album and neither was Blackwater Park.To me Blackwater Park was as boring as staring at a wall.....What is happening to the great acoustic melodies and powerful lead guitaring.Orchid had shown much of that.But its just my opinion!

Nothing wrong with admitting your musical tastes - that's cool.

And I didn't read anywhere that you hate Opeth, just that they aren't your favorite.

I have to agree in some aspects with "bleed for me". I like so much Opeth, but sometimes their music sounds boring to me cause they're too long and, if you realize, Opeth is rehearsing on each album...there's one difference here and there but they're following the same recipe always.
I hope they'll bring something really new in the upcoming albuns.

Originally posted by Xtokalon
The guy who does vocals is a screaming idiot half the time. And the compositions could use some temperance in my opinion. There's something juvenile and miniature in scope about the way they handle musical ideas. But, other than this, they have a lot of potential. I rarely listen to their music.

I agree with that 100%, although I feel his vocals are better than Agalloch's vocalist, as much as I love Agalloch. I listen to Agalloch 10000000000 times more than Novembre, Novembre are cool, but I find myself listening to them when I have nothing else to listen to.

to be honest I much prefer Camelo's clean vox over Mikaels...and I find nothing immature about Novembrine Waltz anywhere, (in other albums of course yes), whereas there are still shaky moments in BWP... the melodies on NW are much more memorable and moving than a lot of those in Opeth also...the bands are so different though!