Opeth are no longer my fav.

Originally posted by Stultus
I find it very simple. Novermbre are more archtypally Death-metal than Opeth. It simply happens that Opeth are more archtypally beautiful.

There is a quality to Opeth's music that is missing in Novembre. That's probably not a bad way to describe it.

Originally posted by brightoffski

There is a quality to Opeth's music that is missing in Novembre. That's probably not a bad way to describe it.

it's proved to me day after day how much personal preference can change a person's outlook on two bands in very different ways... I feel the exact opposite of this quote...

I still can't get into Novembre... a few weeks down the track, their music just bores the living fuck out of me... the growls sound like me taking a shit, and the clean vocals I can virtually do myself. I haven't really listened to their music to the point that I can analyse it fairly, but I can't help falling asleep every time it's on... so I guess you'll have to stick with my biased, Opeth opinion :).

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
I am intrigued. This thread could be very useful to me, but i will not know that for sure till ive had time to think.

I still rate Opeth above Novembre for a number of reasons, yet i havent heard that much novembre to judge fairly, so i wont state my opinions just yet and i shall have a listen to the few songs i have got first.

(Distances, Winter 1941, Cold Blue Steel, Come Perriot, From Winters to Come....... would you say thats enough to fairly judge them from?)

NOSTALGIAPLATZ!!!!!!

Originally posted by Stultus
I find it very simple. Novermbre are more archtypally Death-metal than Opeth. It simply happens that Opeth are more archtypally beautiful.

i feel the exactly the opposite to this quote. I think Novembre are definetly more beautiful than Opeth, the vocals, the lead guitar. I think it's because i feel that Opeth's music has a lot of the same emotions conveyed in each of their songs, while Novembre express a wider range, which in turn is what makes the music beautiful to me. Just listen to Nostalgiaplatz. In terms of beauty and emotion that songs runs rings around Opeth. Which is saying alot because Opeth are pretty damn beautiful too. Also, most of the beauty in Opeth songs come from only the acoustic passages.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I still can't get into Novembre... a few weeks down the track, their music just bores the living fuck out of me... the growls sound like me taking a shit, and the clean vocals I can virtually do myself. I haven't really listened to their music to the point that I can analyse it fairly, but I can't help falling asleep every time it's on... so I guess you'll have to stick with my biased, Opeth opinion :).

which albums have you been listening too?

A few mp3s... like Cold Blue Steel, Distances, Tales from a winter to come... etc.

It seems very monotonous to me. Like Opeth's style seems to be alot more varied, as opposed to this which all sounds very much the same to me.

oh but I really like the start of Tales from a winter to come... about a minute of it, but when it goes into the growling, I can't stand it. I don't know, I suppose I just have to listen to it more so it gets through my head...

I bought Novembrine Waltz some months ago, and I didn't like it...... I gave it a decent chance (a week of walking around listening to it). If an album doesn't grow on me during a week of pretty devoted listening, then it just won't.

....I just don't like the music or the vocals :D

Originally posted by Moonlapse
oh but I really like the start of Tales from a winter to come... about a minute of it, but when it goes into the growling, I can't stand it. I don't know, I suppose I just have to listen to it more so it gets through my head...

listen to nostalgiaplatz. a very beautiful emotional song. and the end of Tales from a winter to come is really good (the guitar solo)

Originally posted by bleed for me

i feel the exactly the opposite to this quote. I think Novembre are definetly more beautiful than Opeth, the vocals, the lead guitar. I think it's because i feel that Opeth's music has a lot of the same emotions conveyed in each of their songs, while Novembre express a wider range, which in turn is what makes the music beautiful to me. Just listen to Nostalgiaplatz. In terms of beauty and emotion that songs runs rings around Opeth. Which is saying alot because Opeth are pretty damn beautiful too. Also, most of the beauty in Opeth songs come from only the acoustic passages.

I have heard Nostalgiaplatz at least 20 times and i can't hear really what everyone is talking about. It is pretty good, but there is nothign special about it to me. I am actually listening to it right now...

Originally posted by Morningrise
I have a feeling Agalloch may take the reigning spot of Opeth. Even though Opeth is my favorite band, it seems sometiems I can't stand them, and sometimes I can. Lately its been Agalloch, and Arcturus.

I've heard a couple of songs of Agalloch, and i must say that they rule!

i don't get it, how is novembre better? sure, you can have your opinion, but when i got Novmbrine Waltz i was VERY dissapointed. Distances was like the only good song on there, which i already had on mp3. conveying more emotion than opeth? all i got out of NW was bouncy, almost happy sounding songs with growls.

as for some of the other bands mentioned being better than opeth, the only one i can agree with is arcturus, but you can't really compare the two. divina enema, while good, is almost to demented. agalloch's production was not good and i hope the new cd has more varied drumming...although i suppose none of opeth's drumming is all that difficult. my dying bride is awesome, one of my fav's, but come on, akerfeldt's growling and clean singing is better.

For me, Opeth just seem to make it all sound so easy. Not easy to play, just easy for them. Its not forced. They sort of move from lazy, distorted strumming to quite technical riffs with such ease and fluidity. Apart from Morningrise and Orchid which had a different composition to the the later albums.

Like its been said before, they may not be the most technical band around but from a purely emotive sense, they own me.

Novembre's harmonisations, chords, scales all seem very standard metal to me. And thats one of the area's where opeth stand out.

Novembre seem to use a lot of guitar effects to create their music as well. Seems to be what most of their experimentation is.

I like their music, but they are nowhere near opeth in the things i look for in music.

Some interesting progression of riffs. But then each song i hear they progress riffs in the same way (opeth do a lot of song structure things over and over as well though).

To me opeth are far more 'beautiful'. Far more interesting.

"First of all, the vocals are better, clean and screaming. It simply has more emotion in them. THe clean vocals have more range and i prefer the screaming of Novembre to the growling of Opeth. Personal Choice"

This guys voice is nice enough i guess, but i prefer Mikael by a huge amount. And i find mikael's voice far more emotional, its a personal choice.

"They are more diverse than Opeth. Opeth tends to stick to the extremes, Death vocals and then acoustic passages with clean vocals. They don't fill in the gaps as much as Novembre do."

To me it sounds like Novembre ONLY do the inbetween stuff. I certainly havent heard the extremities you can find in a song like Serenity Painted Death for example.

I mean they are a really nice band, and if you like them better then thats cool, but i wouldnt call them better because there are many many things that are standard about them. They do concentrate on a few areas that opeth dont seem to be interested in, or arent good at, so they are better at a few things.

can anyone hook me up with some mp3's for NOVEMBRE so i can educate myself more in this band, i have never heard any of there stuff, but this thread has sparked my intrest.