new Opeth fan

-Vintersorg- said:
i reccommend you buy an album .. YOY FUCKING PIRATE!

and that album should be my arms, your hearse.

hey its not like i do it ALL the time, most of the time i prefer taking the magical trip to the cd store and listening to the cd on the way back home. Burning and downloading is sometimes a good way to get more fans anyway.

But I think im gonna go with Still life or Orchid, then deliverance, then ghost reveries, then all the rest. HA! Thanks guys. :headbang:

YES, Still Life is their finest album in a catalogue of spectacular albums. So yeah, if you like BWP, Still Life is definitely the way to go - the most similar for sure, but more layed-back and jazzy at the same time (which is one of the many thing I love about the album - the warm, jazzy atmosphere.)

Then, I'd go with MAYH (truly kick-ass album!) and Ghost Reveries (this one actually has alot of similarities to Still Life at times - mindblowing album!)

midevil elf said:
But I think im gonna go with Still life or Orchid, then deliverance, then ghost reveries, then all the rest. HA! Thanks guys. :headbang:

If you go with Orchid first and you don't like it or 'get it' right away, just remember your plan to collect the rest of the albums. It took me a while for Morningrise in particular to click, but once it did, it was pretty impressive. Cheers.

Same here. I love it when I listen to it, but when I'm thinking what I should listen to I never think of MAYH. But its always a nice surprize when I listen to it!

Opeth have not made a bad album. Not even a so-so album. But they do grow a bit with each album. I'd recommend going chronologically, even though that isn't how I did it. I was told to check out Opeth, went to the store and had no idea what album to buy. Damnation had a great review sticker thingy, so I thought, what the hell, I'll get this one! What a weird way to begin! Then I got Deliverance. Then I finally went backwards, downloading off of emusic (great deal, it's legal, and if you get a trial membership, you get something like 40 free downloads... you can get lots of Opeth that way!) They didn't have Still Life, so it was a while before I got that one. It has become one of my favorites though. I will get anything Opeth release at this point. Opeth "Jazz Odyssey" (for all you Tap fans)? I'm totally there...