Suggest some Opeth music

I'd have to completely disagree with you when you say Mikael is misusing his great voice by growling. By growling he significantly enhances the song in the passages that emotionally require some tension or anger. If he were singing Deliverance or Blackwater Park with all clean vocals, he would lose a ######## of fans. I never thought I'd like growling about half a year ago, but then I discovered Opeth, disliked most of what I heard, but after giving it several chances, they've become my favorite band period over just 3 or 4 months. (Though Tool managed to hold that position for like 3 years so we'll see if Opeth lasts that long for me - I bet they do) It took me a bit just to like most of the songs on Blackwater Park, and probably took me like 5 or 10 times through Ghost Reveries before I loved it, but ultimately, I loved it.

As far as all clean vocals I think your options are..

Damnation (the album), To Bid You Farewell (I think), Benighted, Face of Melinda, Harvest, Still Day Beneath the Sun, Patterns in the Ivy I&II, A Fair Judgment, Atonement, Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years, Coil, Burden, Porcelain Heart (meh), Hex Omega, and some little instrumentals on Orchid and MAYH..

But as others have said you'll be seriously missing out on some tracks that will absolutely blow you away once you can tolerate growling. If you want to hear a few heavier riffs without much growling (but some..), I would definitely listen to Harlequin Forest, Hessian Peel, The Lotus Eater, The Drapery Falls, and Godhead's Lament.

Am I seriously the only one noticing that he likes Ghost of Perdition?? So come on people, stop mentioning only the songs without ANY growls :p ...

And well, my friend, just think, so many people including these great musicians who listen to so much music (and even your beloved Dream Theater) do like the use of these growls in Opeth ... it's ok for you not to like it, but your tone in the last post was very negative about it, and sounded pretty much what people on this side of the spectrum already think about most Dream Theater fans (that they are full of themselves and think they know everything). Kind of funny that a Dream Theater fan describes growls as "gimmicky" and bashes it in that sense, while DT uses a lot of musical gimmicks ...

Am I seriously the only one noticing that he likes Ghost of Perdition?? So come on people, stop mentioning only the songs without ANY growls :p ...

GoP is a good song, and I can tolerate the growl parts because the rest of the music is so good. It does have more growling than I am looking for, though.

And well, my friend, just think, so many people including these great musicians who listen to so much music (and even your beloved Dream Theater) do like the use of these growls in Opeth ...

That's perfectly fine that people like it. It doesn't mean I do. Even if LaBrie showed up at my door and told me Opeth had the best vocals in music it wouldn't change the fact that I just don't like it.

it's ok for you not to like it, but your tone in the last post was very negative about it, and sounded pretty much what people on this side of the spectrum already think about most Dream Theater fans (that they are full of themselves and think they know everything). Kind of funny that a Dream Theater fan describes growls as "gimmicky" and bashes it in that sense, while DT uses a lot of musical gimmicks ...

It sounds to me like you've got incredibly thin skin when it comes to others opinions of bands you like. I simply said I don't like growling. If that means I'm full of myself and think I know everything in your eyes then I don't know what else to say.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

GoP is a good song, and I can tolerate the growl parts because the rest of the music is so good. It does have more growling than I am looking for, though.

That's perfectly fine that people like it. It doesn't mean I do. Even if LaBrie showed up at my door and told me Opeth had the best vocals in music it wouldn't change the fact that I just don't like it.

It sounds to me like you've got incredibly thin skin when it comes to others opinions of bands you like. I simply said I don't like growling. If that means I'm full of myself and think I know everything in your eyes then I don't know what else to say.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

euh no, you didn't just say you don't like it, you were very negative about it ... and read what i say, i said you can dislike it obviously.
what i mean with referring to these other people is that maybe you should be openminded that there is a reason for it and that it is not "gimmicky" and all. but well, you got yourself all covered with stating that anyone responding to your bashing and diminishing of these kinds of vocals is just them not tolerating anything negative about opeth. I don't care if you would hate them, that's just fine, but show respect, and you didn't do that.

and all songs of Opeth are amazing musically, so if you can listen beyond it in GoP, then you can in others as well. what's the problem then? use internet ... listen more, you'll find out ...

damnation is an okay album but not a very accurate reflection of what opeth can do. the majority of their sound has to do with the duality of the heavier and softer parts focusing on the theme/lyrics of a song.

I'm walls1441 and i approved this message.

I hope you check Blackwaterpark and Watershed (and maybe Damnation too = the mellow album), if you like what you're hearing, you should like the rest too. Still Life and Ghost Reveries have quite a lot clean singing too, but apart from Damnation, Watershed has the least growls I think. Actually, just one song there with just growls and no cleans, which is Heir Apparent and which is musically amazing too.

I'm not sure if he'd like to hear Blackwater Park so early, if he's yet to enjoy and appreciate growling.
Blackwater Park's a lot of percent growling, maybe even more than any other album they have released.

It is my favourite album, but it's also probably their heaviest.
Anyway, try to hear a few of the songs on that album, if you can't relate to them, try again in a couple of months, after you get used to growling / heavier songs and riffs.

I'm going to give Damnation a listen now and then go from there.

euh no, you didn't just say you don't like it, you were very negative about it ... and read what i say, i said you can dislike it obviously.
what i mean with referring to these other people is that maybe you should be openminded that there is a reason for it and that it is not "gimmicky" and all. but well, you got yourself all covered with stating that anyone responding to your bashing and diminishing of these kinds of vocals is just them not tolerating anything negative about opeth. I don't care if you would hate them, that's just fine, but show respect, and you didn't do that.

and all songs of Opeth are amazing musically, so if you can listen beyond it in GoP, then you can in others as well. what's the problem then? use internet ... listen more, you'll find out ...

Lets just agree to disagree.

Lets just agree to disagree.

*sigh* internet filled with idiots acting as if I'm the idiot ...
whatever, all the time you spend on this forum you could have used to listen to 5 of their albums already and decide for yourself! just listen already ... how else do you get to know bands? by asking people to recommend a certain song? listen for yourself ffs ...

The thing is mate (dgr6), a lot of death metal enthusiasts think that Akerfeldt should focus more on his growling, so really, you should probably just be thankful that Opeth do have 'clean' vocals. I'm not having a go. Just try and imagine that mike's harsh vocals are a guitar... a distorted, evil guitar, crafted in the firey pits of hell by musical, prog-influenced geniuses (Don't let unfamiliar vocals stop you from experiencing Opeth's music)... With this method you will soon be using heir apparent as a lullaby.

The thing is mate (dgr6), a lot of death metal enthusiasts think that Akerfeldt should focus more on his growling, so really, you should probably just be thankful that Opeth do have 'clean' vocals.

It's funny, because after listening to some of the suggestions here and realizing just how well he can sing, it's that much more disappointing that growling is such a large part of their music. There are some really great songs mentioned in this thread, and I've still got several to go.

I welcome any additional suggestions. I've got a great start to a collection going.

I hate you. :)

Anyway, check out Atonement/Reverie/Harlequin forest (not sure if it can be found as a whole song, but atleast Reverie/Harlequin forest) and The drapery falls.

Not sure if someone else mentioned, but try Drapery Falls from BWP. The first half of the song or so is clean vocals.

Also what I love about Mikael's growls compared to others is that they seem to have melody within them, a musical chord (er, not a musician so I hope I am expressing it correctly) and not just a flat growl. Approach it with an open mind, not from previous experience with growls. But anyways, I am glad you are giving Opeth a try even with your distaste!

soft:hope leaves,in my time of need,credence,porcelain heart,coil,face of melinda,to bid you farewell
heavy:demon of the fall,grand conjuration,blackwater park,ghost of perdition,forest of october

It's funny, because after listening to some of the suggestions here and realizing just how well he can sing, it's that much more disappointing that growling is such a large part of their music. There are some really great songs mentioned in this thread, and I've still got several to go.

I welcome any additional suggestions. I've got a great start to a collection going.

Lets be thankful Opeth doesn't go by your suggestion :lol:

First Opeth song i'd ever heard was Master's Apprentices, because my bro wanted to show me how Akerfeldt could go from growl to soft singing.
After hearing that i was hooked, its my favorite song and Opeth is one of my favorite bands. Deliverance and Still Life were the first albums i really listened to all the way. I dont think being introduced to the growling first will turn people off of opeth, since its mainly taste. I try and introduce non-metal listeners to softer Opeth songs, but people i know like metal i give them the heavier songs.

Personally, i love both sides of Opeth's vocals, and I would suggest to anyone just to listen to whatever you can get your hands on.

Heavier songs i suggest would be: Master's Apprentices, Wreath, Deliverance, Serenity Painted Death, The Grand Conjuration, Demon of the Fall. Heir Apparent.

Softer: To Bid You Farewell, a Fair Judgement, Harvest, Hope Leaves, Burden, Face of Melinda, Death Whispered a Lullaby.

Others are: Bleak, The Drapery Falls, When, the Lotus Eater.....etc.