Anyone else think New Opeth is better?

klownpoet

New Metal Member
Mar 23, 2003
Visit site
I do.. I just think everything sounds so much tighter, so much more polished. Old Opeth to me is amazing, but it often times seems as if the songs were just 13 min long riff marathons that dont quite flow together as well as they should. The newer material (to me that is from Still Life to Damnation) seems to flow much better. Of course im going to get flamed from all you Tr00 Opeth fans, but thats just my opinion.

Scourge of Malice said:
i agree with your points about it being more tight and flowing together better.. but i can't say one is better than the other

Its cool I mean it is all kick ass phenominal music of course. I guess I wouldnt really say one is better than the other since its totally subjective, but I just like the newer stuff more.

klownpoet said:
Its cool I mean it is all kick ass phenominal music of course. I guess I wouldnt really say one is better than the other since its totally subjective, but I just like the newer stuff more.
So doesn't that mean the new stuff is better?

Well see, structure and emotion, I feel, have an inverse realtionship. If I llok at the more structured stuff, it is much less emotional than the stuff like morningrise/orchid which had no structure at all, but I must say, I love them both, so I wont argue for either side.

I love everything from My Arms and on.

I loved Advent in concert (I think it was Advent), but I can't get into Morningrise at all. I was considering typing up a big thing on that sometime, maybe now I will.

And I haven't heard Orchid yet.

Both "Opeths," to put it that way, are quite different, and I can't say which one I prefer for sometimes I love listening to Orchid and Morningrise, other times, like yesterday night, I need an extra of hardness, so then I go for MAYH... What I like about Opeth is they have tried to do different things in their career and so I can choose different albums for my different moods.

I love Opeth's new stuff. Deliverance is my second favourite after Morningrise. So I also love their old style. Now I am confused.

:zombie:

I didn't like Orchid at first, (I agree with that part about riffs), now its my second favourite album...(right after SL) Force yrself to listen to it over and over again;) !

Maq said:
I didn't like Orchid at first, (I agree with that part about riffs), now its my second favourite album...(right after SL) Force yourself to listen to it over and over again;) !

Ahh well, the first Opeth album I ever owned or had the pleasure to listen to was Blackwater Park which is an amazing album, but since then I have become more a fan of Still Life and Deliverance. I have only been listening to Opeth since BWP came out so that may be the reason I am partial to the newer stuff.

I have listend to Morningrise and Orchid numerous times and I would have to say that they are far below everything from MAYH or in musical content. On the songs on those albums the band will play a series of riffs and completely stop and go into an acoustic part which if isolated from the song and played seperately (as in a different track all together) would share little relationship to the song it was taken from. I would even argue that you could switch mix the songs up and they would be no better or worse for it. (of course I realize there are musical parts that MUST be there, but im refering to Orchid more than Morningrise in this particular instance.)

I also think that the interplay between the guitars is much more interesting in the newer stuff. (I will include MAYH with my definition of "newer stuff".. yes I know its a bland and general term to use) On Orchid and Morningrise, Peter and Mikael generally playing beautiful, blistering harmonized melodies sometimes with one altering the rythmic pattern and placement of the said notes to create tension, something we all know is important to Opeth's music.
From MAYH on there seems to be an effort to move away from that and to move into what is in my opinion more interesting guitar interplay. While the newer music is in no way lacking in harmonized melodies, there is more of a focus on having one guitar play and outline and play actually chords, while one guitar focuses on creating melody. This evolution in the music may just be due to the fact that Opeth seems more willing to explore multitracking options in the studio, or it may actually be a caculated move. I think that much of Opeth's earlier music could be better associated with Iron Maiden ( some of the lighter parts on Orchid sound as if they are kin to Rime of the Ancient Mariner; not a bad thing of course :loco: ) than to modern progressive rock acts.

With all that being said, as long as you enjoy the music, no matter what the time period, band, heaviness, non heaviness ect., it doesnt really matter what I or any of message board jackass thinks :loco: :headbang:

Feel free to criticize my post in the fullest. I am always open to new ideas and perspectives that can change the way I think about something.

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Well, I'm not supplying a long answer. Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, and BWP are all tied for my favorite album. Still Life is a close second. I don't like Deliverance as well, and I love Damnation, but it's in a league of its own, so it can't be categorized into my organized favorites.
blah.