Favourite old and new Opeth riffs?

Hey,

I am aware this has been done but I wanted to know what your favourite Opeth riffs are from old Opeth (Anything before Deliverance and Damnation) and newer Opeth.

For me it would have to be:

Old - That bit in Serenity Painted Death, the riff at 3:16 is absolutely amazing.

New - Ending bit of Deliverance or Baying of the hounds start.

Yours?

By your definition of old, then that Serenity Painted Death riff is my second choice, behind the main riff of Bleak. Although there are some great riffs in Blackwater Park (the song. That song is ALL about the riffs for me).

And 'new' Opeth, well yeah, the closing riff of Deliverance is unique, and awesome. I also really like the riff in The Grand Conjuration as Mikael growls the title of the song. Thats probably the best bit of the song for me.

Funeral Portrait. Was the first Opeth song i ever heard, didn't realise at the time but that riff is really mainstream for Opeth. All i could think at the time was... :Owow.

New album? Ghost of Perdition, Baying of the Hounds, Reverie/Harlequin Forest? Take your pick.

Black rose immortal the riff that when it ends mike whispers "black rose immortal"
the moor when it gets heavy
A Fair Judgement-before the last solos
Ghost of Perdition (my all time favorite) the whole "to se a beloved son in despair" segment

i'm just gonna name a few, but there are SO many

OLD-twilight is my robe acoustic interlude

tnatsw acoustic interlude

the part in black rose immortal after you hear the water

advent acoustic parts

acoustic break in "karma"

beginning of april ethereal and the rain was waving goodbye part

"when" the and i cried part

dotf, the runaway part

amen corner acoustic interlude

2:35 of moonlapse vertigo :worship:

the part after the spiraling to the ground below in tdf

the part in the leper affinity where the tempo suddenly changes before going into the acoustic interlude "lost are the days of spring"

NEW-ghost of perdition solo riff, and 6:58 to 7:37 right before it....ok basically the whole song

intro to beneath the mire

to rid the disease chorus

a lot of parts in deliverance

riff at 2:05 of masters apprentices

riff at 5:18 of masters apprentices

I really like the acoustic raping solo in Demon of the Fall. First time I heard it I was all, "WTF is this!?" Now I've grown to love it.

As for the newer stuff, I really like the starting riff of Deliverance, I can't help but bang my head every time I hear it.

I think that "old" opeth riffs are exclusively ones from Orchid/Morningrise, cause they are a radically different style than EVERYTHING AFTER, but MAYH style riffs aren't really all that different from current ones. Anyway old would be that part in nectar where the riff is half acoustic with a distorted lead and then all distorted (8:07), for some reason the acoustic arpeggios and the bass there are the prettiest thing ever. New, too many choices! I guess the obvious (lame) choice would be the "chorus" on Demon of the Fall, quite an original and intense riff! For super melodic new stuff, 7:38 of Ghost of Perdition is about as good as it gets. And then there's the really strained riff at 9:09 of Baying of the Hounds, rgh there are too many good riffs in newer Opeth to pick favorites.

Uh, Im not sure I can pin-point many of them, but here are some of my favorites:
About a minute into the Moor, once it gets heavy.
Ghost Of Perdition's 'melody' (highhherrr)
Blackwater Parks' ending
Around 3-4ish minutes into Advent I think

Thats off the top of my head, there are others.

Old:

I've recently fallen in love with the "main" riff in Under the Weeping Moon (when the vocals first come in)

The bass part in To Bid You Farewell that's played at about 5:12 and on for two mins or so

The clean/muted riff in Advent after the bass sliding part with the distorted guitars, then Mike goes "AOH"

most of the riffs in BWP

The clean vocaled part in Bleak

New:
most of Deliverance
the acoustic/clean part of Master's Apprentices
Windowpane's bass part
the solo in A Fair Judgement
the distorted bass part in Grand Conjuration
not a riff, but the drum part during the clean vocals in Baying of the Hounds (where he sings "drown in the, deep mire, with past desires..")
the extended outro bit on Closure
a lot of Hope Leaves

The difference between Rock and Hard Rock is that Rock comes directly from the roots of Blues, the guitars on the Hard Rock are bazed on Riffs, on Rock the guitars are bazed on Chords... mmmm, my English sucks... an example: Led Zeppelin is Rock... the guitars are bazed on Chords... Deep Purple is Hard Rock... the guitars are bazed on Riffs (is just an example, remember)... the same appreciation we can use it with Opeth... Opeth is the Led Zeppelin of the Death Metal scene... and another band... like Arch Enemy for an example can be the Deep Purple of the Death Metal (Or the Judas Priest!!!!)... understand????, my english really sucks :( ...so I think that is a mistake to say The Best Opeth's Riffs... Just listen Benighted!!!!... or the complete Morningrise...

That's all... somebody agrees with me????

Sorry... My English Sucks!!!!

Bleak- main starting riff
Leper Affinity- Riff before the first solo
Black rose immortal- Riff at 13:37
Baying of the hounds - Riff where mike sings' everything you believed is a lie...'
Baying of the hounds- riff after the first quiet bit running into the solo.

i am absolutely blown away that no one has mentioned the outro for masters apprentices! from about 8:10 onwards i just cannot help but play air guitar, drums and headbang and growl... all at the same time!!! my old one though... mmm its tough but i think i agree with the first post: serenity painted death. simply fantastic!