Most insipring, evil, beautiful Opeth riffs...opinions?

almost everything in 'Karma', the perfect Opeth song...

the middle part in 'Dirge For November'

the ending of 'When'

the ending of 'Amen Corner'

5:26 - 6:24 in 'Baying Of The Hounds'

2:12 - 3:03, 5:35 - 6:27, 7:48 - 11:01 in 'The Twilight Is My Robe'

Hypnos said:
almost everything in 'Karma', the perfect Opeth song...

the middle part in 'Dirge For November'

the ending of 'When'

the ending of 'Amen Corner'

5:26 - 6:24 in 'Baying Of The Hounds'

2:12 - 3:03, 5:35 - 6:27, 7:48 - 11:01 in 'The Twilight Is My Robe'
Amen to that :lol:

All the riffs on Still Life. I mean, those riffs are incredible..Unfortunately I'm not a good enough guitarplayer to do that stuff...but Still Life is the album I turn to to get inspiration for my own songs.

The twin harmonies on Morningrise and Orchid also inspires me alot, mostly because of the emotions I get from it. It's so beautiful and sad. I'm a real sucker for that kind of stuff you know...

The opening to BYTPISIO, the riff just before the growling starts in R/HF, the calm part just before "DEMON! DEMON OF THE FALL!!" (I must have that album soon!!), the start of Master's (oh, fuck off), the bass in Apostle (CARVED ON A BLACK STONE! *bweedle bweedle (...)* doo dodo dododododo, doo dodo dododododo,)....

demon of the fall 2:17-3:08
when 7:42-8:26
karma 6:38-7:52
the moor 5:57-7:00
godhead's lament 1:43-2:29
in mist she was standing 7:15-8:33, 11:40-14:09
twilight is my robe 2:10-3:02
advent 9:27-954, 9:54-11:01
black rose immortal 11:56-13:36, 13:36-14:30

Evil:
-Opening riff of Leper Affinity for sure.
-Many riffs in Grand Conjuration sound pretty dark.
-Do I even need to say it? Opening riff of Ghost Of Perdition.
-Closure, or at least the lyrics at the beginning are quite morbid and mysterious.
-When the main riff in Serenity Painted Death picks up at about 2:12 minutes in Serenity Painted Death. Especially when Mikael starts singing too.

Beautiful:
-When To Rid The Disease picks up, and the keyboards come in with Mikael's soft singing...quite something. And Windowpane. I would list more beautiful Damnation riffs but there are too many...
-Opening riff of Face of Melinda.
-When The Night And The Silent Water picks up from the acoustics to electric guitar....sounds really cool and melodic.
-Harvest...the whole thing is beautiful and soothing actually.

Lietuvis said:
I read something by Mumblefood one time that really made me think about riffs... is it really the riff that is amazing, or is it the change/contrast from one riff to another that really makes it pop out? :)

I think that its a combination of both. It's not just the transition, cause there are a lot of great opening riffs to song. BUt a good transition can, yes, really make a riff pop out if theres a change of some sort.

PS couldnt help but notice your picture. You have my three favorite bands ever in there:

Dream Theater
Opeth
Pink Floyd
!

Lietuvis said:
I read something by Mumblefood one time that really made me think about riffs... is it really the riff that is amazing, or is it the change/contrast from one riff to another that really makes it pop out? :)

in the context of the song, you have to know that its a combination. but, i guess each riff stands alone, and the transitions between riffs stand alone. its hard to compare the two. quite often, when i hear a sweet transition into an amazing riff...(i don't know how or why, and i'll never know wheeeeennn...-epic-) i will rewind that part and listen over and over. i guess that in that particular section, what i really love is the outro...but its just not the same without what leads up to it, but thats only since i have the opportunity to hear what leads up to it.

in master's apprentices, this section

fading away
and leaving
long for sleep
closer now
lead the way into death

happens twice. its an amazing section, one of my favorites. but the second time, its much stronger, because of the transition...i enjoy the section more because of what has lead up to it.

so, i dunno. its obviously a combo, but you can't compare the two...interesting to think about though.

shark22 said:
Lots of old schoolers on this thread, where are all the n00b's?
How would you know?

Evil: Leper Affinity maybe? Have a hard time defineing riffs as ''evil''.

Beutiful: Whole To Bid You Farewell and whole Face of Melinda.

Inspiring: Death Wispered a Lullaby, the part during ''sleep my child''. Ending credits.

Opion said:
-Evil: Karma beginning (fucking brutal), Demon of the Fall main chant...DEMON OF THE FALL!!! The Leper Affinity's beginning, (Probably opeth's best album-starting songs.)
-Inspiring:Harvest's beginning. Just great all around...and The Grand Conjuration at around 6:30, when it turns to AMAZINGLY FUCKING AWESOME.
-Beautiful: The solo faint guitar in the middle of A Fair Judgement, Almost all songs on Damnation, and my favorite, Isolation Years. This is probably my favorite Opeth song and it is beyond beautiful. Incredible, short, and a perfect album closer. There's too many great parts in every single opeth song that gives them all a uniqueness. I love it. :)

THANK YOU.. i can't believe hardly anyone mentioned isolation years as one of opeth's most beautiful sounding songs, i agree that isolation is definitely one of the top 5 beautiful songs by opeth, if not the best one.. and with that, im out :oops:

Still Life has my favorite riffs i'd have to say out of all the albums, followed very closely by Blackwater Park. intro riff to Godhead's Lament is very evil sounding i love it. The intro and outro riffs in Moonlapse Vertigo are so beautiful. The outro for Face of Melinda is excellent. The outro to April Ethereal is very beautiful. So is the ending of Wreath. I put very vague desciptions haha well because Opeth has so many good riffs.

sage204 said:
THANK YOU.. i can't believe hardly anyone mentioned isolation years as one of opeth's most beautiful sounding songs, i agree that isolation is definitely one of the top 5 beautiful songs by opeth, if not the best one.. and with that, im out :oops:
I'd agree with that, the mellow ones on GR are outstanding.

Evil: DEMON OF THE FALL. Easily
Inspiring: Still Day Beneath the Sun
Beautiful: Isolation year for sure, hours of wealth, the 1st AFJ solo