Basswise in Opeth

jemis

New Metal Member
May 30, 2008
Hello. :)

I am looking for Opeth songs or riffs that have some basswise, stuff that got technique, emotion and are interesting and fun to play. Something that is good to practice technique, impressive and also is beautiful.
Any recommendations?

download the powertabs for:

Advent
The Moor
Godhead's Lament
Bleak
Harlequin Forest

those are my favourites to play on bass :)

if you've got the speed, try In Mist She Was Standing. it's brutal!

Err....

For technique: if you're a beginner try playing along to Credence. If you're more advanced learn Advent or something. Morningrise is a good cd for a bassist to play along to.

(btw regulars, I saw someone's signature around here saying that Mikael played most of the bass on Morningrise and Orchid - is that true? If so, is there a link to some info on that one?)

I really really REALLY dig the bass-part around 8 minutes into Blackwater Park. It's hard to hear, but while the guitar playes some monolithic riff, Mendez plays some awesome bass-melody.

(btw regulars, I saw someone's signature around here saying that Mikael played most of the bass on Morningrise and Orchid - is that true? If so, is there a link to some info on that one?)

No, that's not true. The bass on both Morningrise and Orchid was played by Johan DeFarfalla (incredible by the way). Mike played all of the bass on My Arms Your Hearse because Mendez did not have enough time to learn the songs as he had just joined the band.

I really really REALLY dig the bass-part around 8 minutes into Blackwater Park. It's hard to hear, but while the guitar playes some monolithic riff, Mendez plays some awesome bass-melody.

Yeah that slap riff is insane! Brings the song to new heights for me whenever I hear it :headbang:

And I thought that The Drapery Falls was quite fun to play, though anything from Orchid or Morningrise is a lot more fun :worship:

I am looking for Opeth songs or riffs that have some basswise, stuff that got technique, emotion and are interesting and fun to play. Something that is good to practice technique, impressive and also is beautiful. Any recommendations?

If you're looking for emotion and feeling, the softer stuff has some great bass parts. Take most of the songs from Damnation, for example. The bass and the drums work together, with the bass and the kick drum in unison. I don't know about you, but a tight rhythm section to my ears = beautiful. As for technique, perhaps the following suggestions would help:

To Bid You Farewell
The Moor
Godhead's Lament
Moonlapse Vertigo
Serenity Painted Death
White Cluster
The Leper Affinity
Bleak
The Drapery Falls
Blackwater Park
Ghost of Perdition

Keep in mind that Blackwater Park and Ghost of Perdition are in dropped D, and that To Bid You Farewell (and everything on Orchid and Morningrise, as I recall) was originally played on a 6-string bass.

That's the slapping part, right? If so, yes, I love it. It stands out over the guitar to my ears. That song has so many sick bass grooves.

it's not extrememly technical, but i really like the bass on some of the damnation songs, like to rid the disease and in my time of need, they aren't the fanciest, but some are crusing and heavy, while still fun to play

For great musical basslines : Anything Mendez did except maybe deliverance since he didn't have time to improve the basslines(He still did an amazing job, I love his playing)
For more technical stuff : Orchid, Morningrise

Talking about bass : that part in Advent at 9:32 : I just can't stand it !!! It's so unmusical... I mean it's only technique and I think it really ruins that part of the song...