Opeth's must-learn guitar songs

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
A bit of a thread with a twist. Since we're all sick and tired of the favourite song, favourite riff and favourite solo threads I thought I'd make a thread devoted to the Opeth riffs, songs, solos and whatnot that you feel are a MUST-LEARN for any player because either they're so damned, challenging, fun, easy, good to practice with.

I think I'll get the ball rolling and say... if you haven't at least attempted to play the Forest of October solo on guitar, you are untr00.

Benighted and Patterns in the Ivy are great for building fingerpicking technique.

Great thread, for guitarists anyways. As far as challenging goes, I find the Leper Affinity to be a very great song for building overall speed and accuracy, and I find the first half of the song to be one of their most challenging pieces. There's a riff in there, the one right before the solo, which I still can't nail, but I have the solo perfectly lol. I think a must know would be Advent, Forest of October, and The Drapery Falls, but my favorite songs to play would probably be songs off of Morningrise, because I find TBYFW to be beautiful, and I just love Nectar and TNATSW.

I'm still learning to play Demon Of The Fall...

now if only I could figure out how to re-string my guitar! Damn E-string broke on me! Haha... as you can probably tell, I'm an absolute beginner!

Moonlapse said:
A bit of a thread with a twist. Since we're all sick and tired of the favourite song, favourite riff and favourite solo threads I thought I'd make a thread devoted to the Opeth riffs, songs, solos and whatnot that you feel are a MUST-LEARN for any player because either they're so damned, challenging, fun, easy, good to practice with.

I think I'll get the ball rolling and say... if you haven't at least attempted to play the Forest of October solo on guitar, you are untr00.

Benighted and Patterns in the Ivy are great for building fingerpicking technique.
A thread with a twist..??? hey, hatever you say man.
Benighted is a fun acoustic song to play for your folks if they think they have wasted too much money on musical equipment in the last 10 years.

Get yourself a couple of good guitarists beside yourself and a pretty good drummer, get really high and try to pull off The Moor. It won't sound toooooo bad...... to you at least!

I'd have to say....Demon of The Fall is definately a good one to start with. It was the first one I learned...then I tackled Drapery. TBYF was pretty easy..and I love playing it. I'm working on Leper Affinity and Godhead's Lament...they are far more challenging than the other 3 I've bothered to learn. but totally killer!

Leper has great riffage in it, some finger stretchers. Forest of October will teach you a thing or too about badass harmonies...Godhead's is really fun. Advent has some great acoustic stuff to practice with, all the riffs are killer.

Damn, I just realized I can play alot of Opeth songs all the way through now.

Forest
Advent
April Eth
Demon
Godhead's
Leper
Drapery
Blackwater Park
Wreath
Deliverance
Fair Judgement
Windowpane
In my time of need

That's like a whole fuckin' set. Haha! (I don't know very many of the solos though...too lazy....) All of these songs are fun to play!

I've actually been itching lately to hear just normal forumers play. Ever since the Off-topic died, we have no more Bumblefoot deathshred polka videos, so I think after I get my Boss ME-50 pedal (few days) I think an Opeth riffage/solo thread would be in order. Just to have a bit of fun.

Advent and Deliverance
Oh and April Ethereal. If my music teacher from last year hadn't left i might have been able to grab the recording me and a friend did of April Ethereal. Alas, i just found out he left the school so there goes that thought.

april ethereal, I LOVE playing that song. Very easy, but lots of fun

for essential though..hmm...i'd put Bleak in there too, that main riff is something I use a lot now. Black Rose Immortal because it covers so much ground and has some great guitar melodies as well as concepts. White Cluster, especially the intro riff, because its so off time.

i've only just started to play the guitar, i'm trying to think of a really easy part of an opeth song to learn. i was thinking that start part of ''in my time of need''

any one have any suggestions for some easy opeth songs to learn for a beginner?

Yeah? Killer man. I tried mine out at the store I got it deposited at... I'm very happy with its simplicity and range of tones/effects.

@jay: yea, learn 'in my time of need' if you like the song and want something very very very simple. that song is about as simple as Opeth gets.

I learned all of Black Rose Immortal. Not as hard as I thought it would be...
Ending credits is a good starter. Not to hard really just a few hammer ons. You really need the beat to make it sound good though so I just play along with the CD... You can find uber Opeth tabs at Metaltabs.com

It's not just what songs are cool to play but you have to play them together with someone else, cause when you play them alone it's awesome but when you play it with someone else it's freaking insane! How the hell do they come up with those riffs? I like playing Forest of October, Advent and TNATSW together with a friend of mine. The Leper Affinity and Benighted are great when playing alone.

And I don't have the tab of April Ethereal :(

Kevin
http://opeth.fqelite.com