Recommend some guitar songs to learn

Yes! Megadeth, I might give some of their stuff a shot. It's just a shame that most of the ol' thrash bands tuned flat or a whole step down... I mean wtf, it's not that big a difference.

I started learning December Flower a while ago but stopped for some reason. Good suggestion that, I'll go back to it now that I have a somewhat usable guitar.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

BTW: With Classical Gas.. I'm so bored of hearing everyone play that track. Back in the day I learned Paganini's 5th caprice... that was underground enough for me to retain my tr00ness whilst dually impressing people with technical prowess :lol:

Paganini's 5th is so freakishly boring, I didn't even think it was posible. At least Classical Gas has melody, something the 5th is lacking completely.

Well I checked out some Megadeth tabs randomly on mysongbook.com and quite frankly they all bored me to tears. I went back to 'December Flower' though and am having a HEAP of fun learning the solo... only problem is that the frets on the upper registers of my guitar are way too small to comfortably play runs on... oh well, just an added challenge I guess.

Moonlapse said:
Well I checked out some Megadeth tabs randomly on mysongbook.com and quite frankly they all bored me to tears. I went back to 'December Flower' though and am having a HEAP of fun learning the solo... only problem is that the frets on the upper registers of my guitar are way too small to comfortably play runs on... oh well, just an added challenge I guess.

go for Poison Was the Cure. Really fast and really fun to play.

If they bored you, then look at Lucretia. The rythym is pretty tough to get down, takes alot of finger and picking work, but its a really cool song all around. Also, look at skin o my teeth. The rythym is simple and cool, the solo is fuckin bad ass, but will be hard at first cause marty basically has his own style.

Racer x - Technical Difficulties
Mr. Big - Green-tinted Sixties Mind
Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding

Fun songs to play imo ^__^

What are the Megadeth songs you looked at? I agree that some of their riffs are pretty boring, but most of the time they rock.
I would recommand some of their early stuff, maybe Wake up Dead would be nice. A lot of crazy soloing going on as well. Obviously any song from Rust in Peace is a good challenge, Take No Prisoner being a great example (though I haven't ever tried to play it, maybe it is easier then it seems to be).

The first few Testament albums are in standard E tuning. They have some quite intense riffs, take a look at Over the Wall, The New Order, Into the Pit or Practice What You Preach.

If you don't mind some power metal, I'd recommend you try to learn some Primal Fear riffs. I've been learning some lately and it really kicks serious ass. If you have never heard about them, think Judas Priest, but heavier, with catchy power metal choruses and multi layered vocals. You'll have to catch them by ear though, I doubt any gtp Primal Fear tabs exist, maybe a song or two but not much more.
Songs I like to play : Angel in Black, Magic Eye, Black Sun, Mind Control.

Rock on.