Recommend some guitar songs to learn

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'm pretty much fed up with playing Opeth. The majority of the non-original stuff I play on guitar consists of Opeth... right now I'm really in the mood to learn a track, but I have no clue which one. Prefferably something tuned to E though.

Any suggestions? Feel free to keep the thread going and offer general suggestions on what you think are good guitar songs to learn.

Had a feeling that would come up. I'll give it a shot. But I rubbed Death off the list just before, because the whole tech-death thing isn't quite what I'm after. I'll give a few cynic tracks a spin though.

If you're looking for riffs, try learning some Suidakra - specifically stuff off their latest cd "Signs for the Fallen". They definitely went more melodic with that album. their older stuff is a lot more black metal/medival folk driven, but they have some insanely catchy riffs.

Also, I don't know if you're into the whole "New Wave of American Heavy Metal" deal, but Lamb of God has some good Pantera-meets-slayer southern groove riffs. Oh, and crazy solos - the instrumental on their newest album has solos from the two LoG guitarists, plus Chris Poland from megadeth and Alex Skolnick from testament.

oh, and evergrey is always fun to learn.

FUBAR said:
I tried that, its a bastard to play but I learned a litte bit of it

It's a piece of cake compared to "The Clap" :erk: I learned the first few notes and gave up.

Maybe you want to try some Emperor stuff, but still in E. Looks like a real challenge. I always enjoy playing detuned songs in plain E. Gives you some thinking, and if you do it well, it still sounds fat. Anyway, I once started with Depraved and Tongue of fire, really big fun to play (that main depraved main riff, what a headbanger!), but I gave up quite quickly... (couldn't play the guitar decently back then :( )

Man I wish I was good enough to play half the bands/songs you guys have mentioned. I only started guitar about 4 months ago so I have a bit of catching up to do. I can play half of DotF and I'm proud of that. Alwell I guess the only way to go is up lol.

Atilla, Prometheus is played with a 7-string.

I gave Cynic a shot. They have some interesting riffs that I'm sure I'll be into learning sometime but at the moment they are way too sporadic/ecclectic for me. The search continues after I wake up tomorrow I guess... *goes back to bed*.

Moonlapse said:
Atilla, Prometheus is played with a 7-string.
I know. :D
That's why I said it would be a real challenge. I learned Iron Tusk - Mastodon a month ago (I also play DotF in normal tuning). Mastondon plays it in an impossible tuning, fattest string is A (yes indeed :yow: ) rest of the strings are 2 steps down. I really like to reconstruct the fat dropped sound as good as possible with a normal tuning. Fat power chords usually become st like this:

D----- > D----
A--3-- > A--3-
E--3-- > E--3-
B--1-- nothing...

Really simple, and it sounds really similar, especially with distortion.

Moonlapse, give it a try...

Bah, death metal is boring to play. Try learning William Mason's Classical Gas. It's really melodic and fun to play. There's a good Power Tab for it.

And if you have to learn some deahty stuff, why don't you give Deströyer 666 a shot? The songs "Tyranny of the Inevitable" and "Trial by Fire" are extremely cool.

Megadeth.. thats where i went after opeth, really expanded my playing. Try countdown to extinction, all the songs are pretty good and fun to play.

Crimson Velvet said:
Bah, death metal is boring to play. Try learning William Mason's Classical Gas. It's really melodic and fun to play. There's a good Power Tab for it.

And if you have to learn some deahty stuff, why don't you give Deströyer 666 a shot? The songs "Tyranny of the Inevitable" and "Trial by Fire" are extremely cool.

That song haunt's me. (Classical Gas) It SEEMS so simple, all the notes are simple chord structures, but it's hell to play.

I've been playing alot of Opeth lately actually, so I guess I'm not much help... uh learn some Dream Theater? Beautiful solo's, gnarly riff's, fun picking, or learn Scarborough Fair - Simon and Garfunkel, just for kick's and giggle's. Landslide by Fleetwood Mac has a fun picking patter aswell.

While were on the subject, what guitar's do everyone play?

Try some Megadeth songs, as others suggested. Holy Wars is a killer.

Tircky riffage in E tunning is kind of rare. Maybe some old Testament songs are tuned in E? Practice What You Preach has some nice trashy riffs.

A lot of Death songs are a whole lot of fun to play. Many of them are in D but sound okay in E anyways. "Spirit Crusher", "Pull The Plug", "Flesh And The Power It Holds" and "Lack of Comprehension" are my favs.