Learn Fast Songs

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
[I know this isn't really Opeth- related, but I can play some Opeth riffs so... Yay opeth! *kiss*. P.S. Happy Birthday Mike!]

Hey. I am pretty good with the guitar, but I would like to learn fast songs. Maybe even fast solos, but my problem is that I don't know the notes or names of the notes.. I don't really even remember the open-string notes... but I'm pretty good.. :tickled:

I'll name some things I can play, and please help me, I would really like to learn some new things that can help me develop my speed and the complexity of what i can play.

All of this is in E tuning.

Bloodbath - Buried by teh Dead (full song - self-learnt)

In Flames - Everlost Pt. 1 and 2 (full songs - self-learnt)

Intro to "Isolation" by Into Eternity (self-learnt)

First two verses of Opeth - April Ethereal (one guitar part - self learnt)

Acoustic parts of The Drapery Falls (learnt from guitar lesson movies)

The beggining riff of "Beyond the Dark Sun" by Wintersun... yeah that one is a bit fast, and more advanced than the other things but, its short and self-learnt. :loco: And I have trouble playing it over and over cause there is string skipping involved..

Finntroll - Trollhammeren (full song - self learnt)

And there are some riffs I wrote, but you wouldn't know em so there's no sense talking about em! :loco:

So anyway you see what I can play now, can anyone tell me something I could learn, or practice on? Maybe a tab for guitar pro or powertab editor? I'd look for one myself but I don't know of a good educational song I could learn, plus if I thought I could teach myself I wouldn't have asked for help. o_O

Thank ya'lls..

I also have a bass and I'm trying to learn how to sing better. I have the vocal range of a female, plus lower swanö-esque male range.... I would also like to learn growls... I need to learn how to position my throat to get the sound through..

I'm not so much worried about learning bass. As far as I'm concerned, its just like guitar and I'm actually pretty good on it since its only 1 note at a time.. :tickled: In your face, Bass Player! :erk:

Well thank you! :worship:
If Mike tells us how to growl, I will faint. :Smug:

If you just need to build stamina for fast palm-mute single down-stroke picking and eventually solos, I'd recommend all songs of Sepultura, Metallica, Slayer, Lamb of God, Death...as they often are very easy to learn and very nice to practise on. Into Eternity are a bit difficult from what I was able to grasp a few time ago when I last looked their tabs, but you should try the other more-difficult songs as you mature

the first thing you need to learn are the names of the notes so that, when people post serious replies to this or any other music related question, you know what the shit they're talking about.

I didn't realize the opeth forums had turned into such a cesspool for moronic spamming and trolling.. Grow up already, people... I'm sure Opeth does not appreciate this nonsense..

@morningstar: I don't really dig the bands you mentioned that much, but I guess I could try to learn something of Lamb of Gord or maybe Slayer.. something exciting would be nice. :D I'll look up some tabs tommorow.. Any specific song you had in mind?

Oinkness said:
@morningstar: I don't really dig the bands you mentioned that much, but I guess I could try to learn something of Lamb of Gord or maybe Slayer.. something exciting would be nice. :D I'll look up some tabs tommorow.. Any specific song you had in mind?

11th hour or any from the "ashes of the wake" (as it's the only album I like and can speak about, 11th hour is probably the only song I like beyond the ones on AotW)

As for slayer, I know mostly the "Seasons in the abyss", a few good songs to learn are: War Ensemble, Spirit in Black, Dead Skin Mask (Not very fast...), Hallowed Point, Temptation

These are all good for starters, there're surely other good fast-riffing bands I didn't mention, but get around those and you'll get better...check www.mysongbook.com there're tons of tabs...remember to tune to the adequate tunings (i.e LoG is Drop-D/D, Slayer is Eb, but they may have a few albums/songs where things change so be on the lookout) also if you feel insecure playing at the tempo the tabs were tabbed like and can't seem to follow, lower the tempo to about -20 of the tempo where you feel you can play, just so you enhance your execution and get to learn the song better, without a lot of concern for making it right and increment it. Guitar pro has also this nice feature called 'speed trainer", where you can loop a few bars and allow it to increment tempo as the loop restarts. Hope it helps!

Moonlapse said:
In Flames - December Flower (solo)

This is a REALLY good solo to learn. Not too lightning quick, but it sits right on that line of being shred, and being just a nice piece of melodic greatness. The lines aren't all that linear either for the most part, which is good for learning to be all over the neck and do more than just blaze up and down scales or sweeps.

Hmm ok... I could learn 11th Hour~ LoG since I saw their tab on Guitar Pro and it looks pretty simple.. I know how to drop to D and my guitar pedal can drop my strings by just about any octaves I would need to drop it to. It can even drop my strings by 20 octaves but you can't really hear them that well..

I know how to drop D so I'll do that one for starters... I might check out this In Flames solo you guys are talking about also for December Flower.. I know the sound the strings make, and I can tune from memory and tune down to D and back up and such, but yeah.. Is there a webpage or something I can learn the note names from?

Oinkness said:
Hmm ok... I could learn 11th Hour~ LoG since I saw their tab on Guitar Pro and it looks pretty simple.. I know how to drop to D and my guitar pedal can drop my strings by just about any octaves I would need to drop it to. It can even drop my strings by 20 octaves but you can't really hear them that well..

Ok, what the fuck are you even talking about here? Your guitar pedal has NOTHING to do with drop D. I'll try to explain this very simply. Look, there are 7 notes, A through G. Each of these have a sharp and a flat. Sharp is slightly higher in pitch, flat is lower. for example, D flat is lower than D, and is halfway between C and D. The names are also interchangable - ie, C sharp is the same thing as D flat.

The exception to this is B - there is no B sharp, it steps directly up to C BUT THIS IS ONLY CHROMATICALLY IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO SCALES THAN SOMETIMES ITS DIFFERENT KTHXBYE.

When typing, most people use "b" for flat, and "#" for sharp. ie, C# or Db is C sharp or D flat.

On a guitar in standard E tuning, from the lowest-pitched string to the highest, the open strings are E A D G B E.

You know how to tune, right? The simplest way is to use a tuner or pitch pipe to tune your lowest string (E), then fret the 5th fret. When your guitar is in tune, this fret's note and your open A string (that's the one right above the E!) will be identical.

To tune your guitar into drop D: once your guitar is in E standard, you want to drop your lowest string down until the 7th fret matches your open A string. simple, right? Now that you know this, I bet you're ready to tackle the Decemble Flower solo.

edited for clarity

bangadrian said:
yes there is, smart guy

There is no B#. There is no Cb. The chromatic scale goes A A# B C. You are wrong, big fella.

Trey Parker said:
every single thing you said is wrong. besides, he's not using the pedal for drop d, he's using it instead of tuning down 2 steps or whatever. he said he already knows drop d

Yes, every single thing. Oh, what's that - I'm majoring in music industries and production? Oh! Well then, what the fuck are you talking about? tell me which parts of what I said are wrong. go ahead.

I don't give a shit how many octaves his pitch shifter can drop to. That has NOTHING to do with drop-D. Now, if he's saying his pedal can drop a single string on his guitar to drop D (I know Roland's MIDI controller can do that, but it requires a midi pickup), well...he probably should've said that WITHOUT sounding like a complete retard.

EDIT: oh yeah, and if he's using the pitch shifter to drop his entire guitar down 2 steps, that's D standard, not drop-D. he'll have fun with mentally moving all the tabbed out notes on the low D down 2 frets.