Opeth's guitar technique

Well, Fredrik's obviously the guy to have the best technique... but I'm glad Opeth haven't overused any scale (pentatonic blues minor eg) and instead have taken up various scales and keys.
And Mikael confirms it himself, when it comes to solos.(Rythms dont need that much technique anyways)

About how Mikael comes up with awesome stuff, well I think it's about how his mind works. It's pretty much given with you, I do not think that you can develop this. If you have it in you then after enough experience you might get it out as well and who knows you may be even better than him (though I am suspicious about what I have just said :p).

The trick to a great solo: hum it before you play it. That is, unless you're into Yngwie-type stuff. If so you're screwed :p

Sorry to bump this old thread, just like to share some insight with you about what ive noticed in opeth scales...

I've noticed in alot of songs like, patterns in the ivy 2, the apostle in triumph (at first i thought it was only the beginning couple albums, but some of the older albums have it too) etc, use the D major scale alot (2 sharps) as i noticed that C# and F# notes alot and said, hey this is in the D major all the way. C Major is another scale ive seen alot, but mainly in the pentatonic sort of soloing so im not too sure on the exact key its played in.

If my brain is working correctly i think D major's minor key is B (?), and i havent really gone into the songs that much to see which is the root so yeah. Try D major or B minor for an Opethy sound lol.

Surprisingly alot of the parts stay in key for alot of the song, usually with only a couple of dissonant notes here and there. That's pretty impressive considering mike didnt know any theory back then