TO guitarists that know Opeth.....

is natural minor like Aeolian, or what other's might call a straight up minor scale???

To all the people that are saying that scales limit your inspiration, that's not true. Personally, I use scales to guide me in my soloing, and riffing, and basically give me a place to start, and after that I throw in the notes that I feel sound best. Personally, I don't think you could improvise a solo to a riff if you have no knowledge of scales/chords/theory, or you have been locked in a closet with only your guitar for 10 years.

Originally posted by Innbydelse:
isnt harmonic a raised 6th? i guess i fucked up my info

Nay. Harmonic minors have raised 7ths ascending and descending. Melodic minors have a raised sixth and seventh ascending, but are played as natural minors descending (at least that is how a classical theorist will tell you to play it-- many people today play the melodic minor with the #6, #7 both ways, but the "natural" descension makes it more smooth).

Scourge of Amalek said:
Originally posted by Innbydelse:
isnt harmonic a raised 6th? i guess i fucked up my info

Nay. Harmonic minors have raised 7ths ascending and descending. Melodic minors have a raised sixth and seventh ascending, but are played as natural minors descending (at least that is how a classical theorist will tell you to play it-- many people today play the melodic minor with the #6, #7 both ways, but the "natural" descension makes it more smooth).

ok thanks

warsofwinter said:
Knowing your scales can be usefull but as long as you know what notes sound good in combination you are pretty much set. You aren't gonna play a "wrong" note if you know where all the "right" notes are. I find it much better knowing that I have developed my own idea of different scales on my own... I never really had a teacher but after hours and hours of just jamming you get used to what rhythm's and notes you are playing, and of course you can always get influences from thousands of awesome bands and songs.... half of them probably have no clue about scales either.

It takes more than knowing scales to write an awesome song and sometimes it takes not knowing scales at all, which allows you to view music in your own developed way rather than something put out in front of you... it's all about emotion .... the sound of Opeth comes from self-experimentation and inspiriation not their use of known scale.
This all true. Once your ear gets set in you can hear whats right and wrong and eventually you automatically hit the right notes.