I want to write music, yet I don't know any notes...suggestions?

Blackmetal -- those were some very inspirational songs.

Especially the horse racing song, and the Dvorak piece. Great stuff!

I listened to the "exciting part" of the last posted video, but it sounded too much like power metal to me.

I don't want to get into power metal. I apologize if I gave off that vibe, because it's not true. I'm a melodeath guy. I like dark stuff, but it's not my favorite.

One of my favorite all-time songs is "Downfall" by CoB. I don't know if you've heard it, but the keyboard/guitar intro to that song really makes it one of my favorite songs. Obviously, that's a very complex melody, so I'm not expecting to be able to write stuff like that without eons of practice, but that's mainly the type of music I'm into.

Some of my favorite work is from Eternal Tears of Sorrow's album "A virgin and a whore". Especially "The Last one for life" and "aeon". Like I said, I don't mind dark, and obviously, these are very complex, well-written melodies.

But I LOVED the two pieces I mentioned before. PHENOMENAL! My dad, I think, is a huge Dvorak fan, so next time I see him, I'll definitely ask him if he has any cd's (although he probably only has it on record. He's old school like that :lol:)

Thanks!

Hey, so I'm opening my old thread again.

My school offers music theory courses as a minor. I'm not sure if it's a ton of work, or if I can even do it, but is it worth taking a class in music theory? Or will most of the stuff they teach simply not apply?

Just curious because I have about a month until I can declare a minor, but I figured I'd start the conversation earlier instead of later. Thanks!

I would definitely take the class. At an introductory level, there isn't a whole lot that will prepare you to write metal, but it will build the foundation on which that information is based. Then you will have the experience to relate to the stuff I posted on page one and apply it.