Music theory and scales for lead work

BeëlzeM

New Metal Member
Nov 14, 2007
Hello,

I'm new here. I finally thought it was time to seriously venture into music theory and scales for leads as I've been struggling with it for far too long now. I usually just lay it off to do other stuff when I can't figure it out.

I play in D-standard all the time and I play death metal, much like bands as Gojira. Also play my fair share of thrash in D. I want to get into soloing.

I know that all 7 major scales are essential. Any other scales that are really important?

I've also read that it's a major advantage to know all the notes on the fretboard. If I downtune to D or C, do I have to relearn all these notes?

I'd like to know what all 7 modes are and how they work. I've seen music theory sites that explain the scales of the modes. They all use the E-standard tuning and say the major scales are in the key of C. Are all major scales in the key of C? If I downtune to lets say D, what changes in these scales? Do the patterns change? The notes? And if I downtune further to C for example, do I have to relearn all these major scales?

I would venture to ask also what kind of lead players do you want to be. Running thru scales and learning them is good, but you also have to pull melodies out of them. Same thing with using modes of scales. Also, look at the chords your playing over. Since death metal tends to use the root/fifth chords, or lots of tremolo picking, you gotta think of what chord tones you want to pull out of those and work with.

And as for the notes changing when you tune down, well, the notes really just move down. Though in guitar tab books they seem to want to keep chord names and such as if they were still in standard tuning.

Just learn everything as standard it's all relative. I suggest learning the seven modes all with in your key. This will most likely be g major which transposed down to d will be f major. This will open up the natural minor scale all over the freeboard for you. Harmonic minor is another good one for darker sounds. Try just working in minor thirds as this also gives a very dark sound. Essentially it's just playing a diminished seventh arp in multiple inversions. Top that off with some Phrygian dominant and you should be sweet. Now go forth and learn.*

If he doesn't know theory I don't think he's gonna know the intervals but have a ganders around the interwebs (minor thirds = 3 frets from the original e.g. 3rd fret then 6th fret then 9th and so on, im sure you can count :D )

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

that site is great for all chords and scales. Just punch in what tuning you're in and you're good to go. I love the Major , Mixolydian , Aoelian , Dorian and Octatonic scales. ( I play dropped C)

Also - what professorlamp said is kinda true , except it is three SCALE NOTES up , not three frets up.

Read the charts and play your solo , then play it three scale notes up , that is one kind of harmony.

that site is great for all chords and scales. Just punch in what tuning you're in and you're good to go. I love the Major , Mixolydian , Aoelian , Dorian and Octatonic scales. ( I play dropped C)

Also - what professorlamp said is kinda true , except it is three SCALE NOTES up , not three frets up.

Read the charts and play your solo , then play it three scale notes up , that is one kind of harmony.

They don't have my tuning :mad:

fuckers

Oh well, not like I'd know what the fuck they were talking about anyway :loco:

Cheers for the replies so far guys. I found that page too, and it looks like a very handy tool. If I want to learn the scales in D tuning I'd just select that from the drop-down menu. But what should I do with the Chords? What does that mean? How does that site really work, and how should I set it at certain

Also, you can select 20 patterns in the menu. Do you have to learn all 20 patterns for all 7 scales? Is there any logic to all those patterns?

So far I don't know any theory behind intervals and things alike. I've always found it hard to start with this. Because when I start doing something like scales, other stuff like intervals and whatnot come into it before I even know how the scales work. It's all linked together and I feel like I have no starting point. Any advice for this? I'm kinda sick of laying it off all the time. Any good books maybe that explain it clearly?

Here's my take on the modal playing stuff- just my understanding and what works for me so someone else may object.

Basically, from a guitarist's perspective keys and note names are more or less irrelevant. Of course they aren't for purposes of communication with other classically trained musicians but for the purposes of soloing and composing all that's relevant is really understanding the interval relationships in terms of numbers and patterns.

When I was about 16 or so and really started to get into music it was actually the Red Hot Chili Peppers that got the ball rolling for me. I saw some live videos of John Frusciante soloing and was just blown away by the fact that he wasn't playing what was recorded on the CD- he was just making it up but it somehow sounded "correct" against the backing music. For some reason, in my passive experience with music I had never noticed this before. I then started on this quest to determine how in the world he was able to do this. It more or less altered the course of my life.

I had some limited understanding from highschool music class about the notion of "scales" or "keys" but didn't really see what relationship they bore to soloing. However, it probably helped a little bit by just allowing me to say, "Ohhh, so that's why that's like that" when I sort of stumbled upon certain relationships on my own.

The first thing I found useful was worldguitar.com which has all of the modes listed and a "jam machine" applet which lets you kind of try them out over a chord progression. Again, I'm not entirely certain how this happened but you start to sort of notice that each of these modes overlap one another and create a kind of network across the entire fretboard of intersecting modes. The beauty of the guitar is of course that it's all relative- once you've got your bearings in the "key" the patterns are always the same.

Eventually when you start to build that muscle memory of the fretboard network of modes, you'll find that as long as you can identify one note that "fits" against what you're listening to your brain and hands will just know where to go. I don't want to be one of those people that just says it magically happens with practice so here are a few little things that helped me to get to that point.

First of all, do your best to always try to "sing out" in your head what you're trying to play- it's very easy to just kind of noodle around in a pentatonic blues scale just going from note to note- it'll sound correct but not necessarily "good". A lot of blues guitarists will often actually sing what they play at the same time while they're performing- if you're able to do this at least in some capacity you'll know it's starting to become second nature. Secondly- always practice in the pitch black. Sounds stupid but it did wonders for me, just key up a track, turn the lights off and try to get your bearings without being able to see anything- it'll really help you get in touch with your "inner musician" hahaha. Thridly, try not to overplay too much. It's easy for us to do this as metal players but you'll find the first component much easier if you just relax and not instinctively play through patterns or arpeggios just for the sake of shredding. Leave space between phrases, really work with strong rhythmic motifs and try to make your guitar act as if it's a voice not a riff machine. Lastly, try to write a lot. This is kind of a two way street- as you start to understand soloing your composition will improve and as you write more and more you'll begin to develop a better understanding of why things are the way they are. Music is a language and the in order to speak it fluently you'll need to both build your vocabulary and understand the grammar and sentence structure.

Most of all what I'm trying to convey is that I think the best way to "learn" this stuff is to learn it in which ever way makes the most sense to you. Again, the communication issue can be a bit of hinderance if you want to be a session player some day but I've always found that it's easier to come at it from a less academic angle. If you've got a good music sense to begin with and some basic understanding of playing guitar you should be able to work through this over the course of a year (or less) if you're really diligent. Then, from there you'll just become more and more fluent in the language of music.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: To explicitly answer the OP's last couple questions- your tunings only matter if you're tuning to something that is not "relatively equivalent" (to make up a term) to standard tuning. So D standard will not change anything for you in terms of the nature of modes, scales or patterns- it will only change the notes names relative to frets, which as far as I'm concerned is meaningless when it comes to actually playing guitar. If however, you change the relationship between any two adjacent strings then you'll shift the modal pattern accordingly. For instance, if you tuned from D standard down to Drop-C, anything you played as you would in standard tuning on the lowest string would have to be shifted up 2 frets to compensate- this is why power chords on the top strings in dropped tunings are just barred across with one finger while in standard tuning they're played with the index and ring/pinky spread out across two frets. For the purposes of soloing, I find it's best just to avoid that string- haha. I should also add that I do a great deal of composing on keyboards now with digital sound libraries and my non-traditional understanding of music just means I always visualize the keyboard as I would a guitar- that is, in terms of intervals regardless of white and black keys. It doesn't seem to impede my playing at all when writing although I suppose it would present problems in terms of reading music or writing it to a score.

Find which part comes most easily (like memorizing scale patterns - hint: they can be moved up and down the neck if you want to play in different keys - versus understanding intervals) and use that to help you get everything else. If you don't already deal well with abstraction, you'll get more comfortable with something you can grasp easily.

Jeff