A little music theory.

Mr. Hyde

Guitar, Bass
Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
If anyone wants to know some scales and doesn't have them, here are a few.
C Major scale: CDEFGABC
A Minor scale: ABCDEFGA

Key signature for either one: No sharps or flats.

The modes:
Starting with C major: (Also Ionian mode)
CDEFGABC
Next is Dorian mode
DEFGABCD
Next is Phrygian mode:
EFGABCDE
Lydian mode:
FGABCDEF
Mixolydian:
GABCDEFG
Aeolean(sp?) mode: (also natural minor scale, or just plain minor)
ABCDEFGA
and end with Locrian mode:
BCDEFGAB
Then the pattern repeats.

Now there are the seven modes starting on C including it's relative minor A.
Play the pattern for C major and learn to move it, learn the basic patterns for each of the modes and you'll know 7 different scales in all keys. Pretty neat.

Just for kicks how about something related to Maiden: Try these.

GABCDEF#G (G major, ionian mode)
EF#GABCDE (E Minor, Aeolean mode)

E MINOR PENTATONIC.....!!!!

Dudes.... 70% of all solos use this farker....!!! ( and most of the others use the same relative scale just in another key... :lol: )

E,G,A,B,D....

The root of all solos....

THEN....

Once youve mastered mucking around in that.... add 1 more note for the BLUES scale..... this is awesome also and when slowed down youll be bb kingin in no time.....!!!

e,g,a,A#,b,d

Thats the starting point..... Also... if u slide the same Em pentatonic ' shape ' down three frets.... Change the starting position to the new ' E ' note... it becomes the E major pent.....

Changing between these two ( in the relative key ) is practically all angus young has done for over 20 years.... sounds wicked though....!!

It's all about patterns. Learn a pattern that works in one key and move it anywhere you want. Take a Maiden song you know like the trooper, which basically is similar to many other Maiden songs, and use the E minor scale over it, or experiment with the pentatonic shapes Medsy spoke of. Then move everything down two frets. For example the "basic Maiden progression" of E to C to D becomes D to Bb to C. Move the patterns down two frets from the E position and you are in D Minor. Then you can play like Rhoads on Mr. Crowley!

Also, I don't think about what notes when I'm playing, as I'm playing them. It slows me down too much. Instead I've just memorized different sounds, patterns and shapes that work.

I agree with you Medsy, Angus has been using the same patterns very effectively forever!

The Dorian mode and Mixolydian mode are pretty bluesy sounding.