a bit of theory for u guitar freaks

Tony4552

British Airborne Warrior
Sep 27, 2005
Wigan, UK
www.6stringheaven.com
Right I am gonna explain through different aspects of music theory from Chromatics, Diatonics, Rythmn Harmony, Harmonies Chord structures, Scale structures, and so on so hopefully this will be help too people

Chord Structures

Your basic chord has 3 notes in its structure this is the

1st(Root note/the name of the chord)

3rd(Depicts whether the chord is major/minor)

5th

These notes are found from the DIATONIC (explain Diatonics later) scales

So say we are in the key of C (no #/b) the diatonic scale will be

C D E F G A B

so if we took the 1st 3rd 5th notes starting from the C we will have

C E G

This gives us a C major chord, then if you started on the D so D was the 1st you would have

D F A

This is a D minor chord, so if you went through all the notes like that you will have

C Major
D Minor
E Minor
F Major
G Major
A Minor
B Diminished

Now we see that we have MAJOR and MINOR chords and a DIMINISHED chord this is how theyre made

Say if we are in the Key of C then the family would be from the C major scale. With the key of D it will be the D major scale then all the notes would be different

D Major

D E F# G A B C#

E Major

E F# G# A B C# D#

F Major

F G A Bb C D E

G Major

G A B C D E F#

A Major

A B C# D E F# G#

B Major

B C# D# E F# G# A#

So above you all the keys and how theyre formed

Maj-min-min-Maj-Maj-min-dim

You can practically figure out the major and minor chords needed for that scale. If I havent explained that fully enough please don't hesitate too ask.

Scales and Diatonic Modes

The Pentatonic Scale

Pentatonic is a 5 note scale thats generally the 1st scale you learn. There are 5 different shapes for each of the notes of the scale.
The structure of the Pentatonic Minor is :-

1 m3 4 5 7

Looking at that we see we want the 1st note of the scale the minor 3rd 4th 5th and natural 7th

Now I might of lost you a bit there but remember the C major scale well the Major scale has its natural minor which is the 6th note of the scale

C D E F G A B

So if you used the A note as the 1st note you would have

A C D E G

This gives you the A Pentatonic Minor. So if you took the 6th note from the other scales shown before and done the same thing you'll have the Pentatonic in different keys

Now earlier I said abot the 5 different shapes of the Pentatonic well think of a circle so meaning

A C D E G A C D E G A C D E G Thats the scale going up in octaves ( I shall explain octaves later on)

So if you start with the :-

A note you'll have position 1

C note = Position 2

D note = Position 3

E note = Position 4

G note = Position 5

If you look through previous lessons I have done you will find these shapes.

Now a cool theing with the Pentatonic is if you add a b5 note you'll then form the Blues scale

Structure is 1 m3 4 b5 5 7

So A Blues scale will be

A C D Eb E G

Then its the same idea as the Pentatonic but this time you have 6 different position shapes too play with.

Now we want too know what chords can we play this scale over well thats simple. We are using here the A Pentatonic Minor which we now know that A is the natural minor of C Major so we can play the chords of C Major. Thats it basic but, A Minor shows up in other scales too, so you can also play with the chords from F and G major and still be in key.

Diatonic Modes

I love Diatonic as theyre the bread and butter of lead playing, and a lot of guitar players are scared of them for no reason, It took me ages too learn that yes ok heres a mode and what now. Well practically whatever you want too do just do it. Say like me you love the Phygian mode yet say your in the key of G which would mean technically the 3rd position would be phrygian. I say bollocks too it there are 4 minor modes in there play the phrygian or parts of it over them 4, same as the Pentatonic, all minor modes skeletons are the pentatonic minor so there use that bugger too. What I am trying too say is even though theoretically your meant too play in key you dont have too. Rule of thumb if it sounds cool then great.
The diatonic modes have been given greek names these are

Ionian The Major scale 1 - 2 - Maj3 - 4 - 5 - #6 - Maj7
Dorian Minor 1 - 2 - min3 - 4 - 5 - #6 - 7
Phrygian Minor 1 - b2 - min3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
Lydian Major 1 - 2 - Maj3 - #4 - 5 - #6 - Maj7
Mixolydian Major 1 - 2 - Maj3 - 4 - 5 - #6 - 7
Aeolian Natural Minor 1 - 2 - min3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
Locrian Diminished 1 - b2 - min3 - 4 - b5 - 6 - 7

I have also done a previous lesson showing the various shapes for the scales and you have the different scales above. Now too work out the relative chords for each mode is again really easy.
Basic form and if mode is in A here are the chords for each mode

A Ionian - Amaj-Bmin-C#min-Dmaj-Emaj-F#min-G#dim

A Dorian - Amin-Bmin-Cmaj-Dmaj-Emin-F#dim-Gmaj

A Phrygian - Amin-Bbmaj-Cmaj-Dmin-Edim-Fmaj-Gmin

A Lydian - Amaj-Bmaj-C#min-D#dim-Emaj-F#min-G#min

A Mixolydian - Amaj-Bmin-C#dim-Dmaj-Emin-F#min-Gmaj

A Aeolian - Amin-Bdim-Cmaj-Dmin-Emin-Fmaj-Gmaj

A Locrian - Adim-Bbmaj-Cmin-Dmin-Ebmaj-Fmaj-Gmin

Modal 4ths

Here is an awesome lesson I learnt of BloodandTears. its where you take the mode with the most sharps and cycle through each time removing a sharp til you have gone throuh all the modes so here we go. Play all the modes in the same key e.g all in A

Lydian - Ionian - Mixolydian - Dorian - Aeolian - Phrygian - Locrian

Circle of 5ths

Now this is exactly as it says on the tin. So from your start note count 5 steps theres your 2nd note count 5 again from there and thats you 3rd note and so on, You can do this in 3rds 4ths or wotever you want. The Beatles used this alot in writing their songs

example

A - E - B - F# - C#

Harmonies

Majority of Harmonies are either 3rds,5ths or octaves works on a similar idea to the circle of 5ths but you play the notes over eachother

example

A B A G E - Root

C D C B G - min3rd

E F# E D B - 5th

Well hope this lot is ok for you guys. If theres anything I havent covered please give me a shout and I'll try and help.

Actually, I'm sure I would have passed 10,000 a while ago. Hmm, I wonder how accurate the post count is considering it was missing for so long. Hmm.

Might have to start posting pointless ramblings (OK, more so than usual) to catch up.