have any of you used these exotic scales?

Stygian_Apothegm

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2003
Athens, Jo'gia
stygianapothegm.iuma.com
Neapolitan Minor:
C Db Eb F G Ab B C

Neapolitan Major:
C Db Eb F G A B C

Oriental:
C Db E F Gb A Bb C

Double Harmonic:
C Db E F G Ab B C

Enigmatic:
C Db E F# G# A# B C

Hirajoshi:
A B C E F A

Hungarian Minor:
C D Eb F# G Ab B C

Hungarian Major:
C D# E F# G A Bb C

Kumoi:
E F A B C E

Iwato:
F C E F A B

Hindu:
C D E F G Ab Bb C

Spanish 8 Tone:
C Db Eb E F Gb Ab Bb C

Pelog:
C Db Eb G Bb C

Hungarian Gypsy:
C D Eb F# G Ab Bb C

Major Phrygian:
C Db E F G Ab Bb C

Major Locrian:
C D E F Gb Ab Bb C

Lydian Minor:
C D E F# G Ab Bb C

Overrtone:
C D E F# G A Bb C

Leading Whole Tone:
C D E F# G# A# B C

Arabian:
C D E F Gb Ab Bb C

Balinese:
C Db Eb G Ab C

Gypsy:
C Db E F G Ab B C

Mohammedan:
C D Eb F G Ab B C

Javanese:
C Db Eb F G A Bb C

Persian:
C Db E F gb Ab B C

Algerian:
C D Eb F# G Ab B C D Eb F

Aeolian:
C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

Byzantine:
C Db E F G Ab B C

Hawaiian:
C D Eb (F grace note) G A B C

Jewish:
E F G# A F C D E

Mongolian:
C D E G A C

Ethiopian:
G A Bb C D Eb F G (The F and E can also be natural and the F can be sharp)

Spanish:
C D F E F G Ab Bb C

Egyptian:
C D F G Bb C

Japanese:
C Db F G Ab C

Chinese:
F G A C D F
C E F# G B C

ive used the spanish one for a song im working on. it sounds really cool. reminds me more of egyptiany type music than spanish.

yea so if you used any tell me how it sounds.

Whoa, those are some badass scales. Try this one.

A A# C# D E G A

Play it in fifth position..you can also add another octave that makes it sound awesome.

veil the sky said:
pff... too many scales are counter-productive, they discourage musicality.

They CAN, or they can create entire new sonic pallettes.

Its like paint, man. You can stick to your main colors, just Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Indigo, or you can broaded your pallette and use almost limitless colors.

You can stick to major scale harmony, or you can totally mix it up. There are 12 tones on most instruments. Why just only use the same sequence of 8 all the time?

The Master said:

Its like paint, man. You can stick to your main colors, just Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Indigo, or you can broaded your pallette and use almost limitless colors.

You can stick to major scale harmony, or you can totally mix it up. There are 12 tones on most instruments. Why just only use the same sequence of 8 all the time?

Indeed.

The Master said:

Absolutely, but in the same regard...

If you stick too hard to scales and patterns (no matter how exotic), you could possibly become too entrenched in theory, which could in turn limit what you do...you don't want to stick to rules too much. It's kinda like what you said, though...it works either way.

Cool scales, by the way. Thanks, Stygian.

Stygian, could you put them as tab doc? It's really tiring to think of the intervals and stuff. And btw, there are more more scales than that. For exemple, there are 462 heptatonic scales (with seven notes), as 11!/(6!*5!)=462

corect me if i am wrong, but this is just variations of how to play a ordinary scale....
y´know....
Mixolydisk, Eolisk, Locrisk, Jonisk, Dorisk, Frygisk, Lydisk
atleast thats what they are called in swedish(?)....
boxes and stuff.... too tired to explain :Spin:

alla.gif

i use the dorian(?) scale a lot (ABCDEF#GA) ´cus the high 6 more often sounds realy cool in a solo... otherwise, nothing beats the good ol´ eolian clasic minor scale :)

The Master said:

if you are just continually playing 8 note sequences all the time then your playing will be pretty boring!!! i don't think there is any problem with knowing the names of the scales you use, but it's far more important to concentrate on the relationship those notes in particular have with the rest of the song then you are thinking musically and not scientifically.

the trouble with the guitar being such a visual instrument is that people are tempted to play using their eyes rather than their ears. that's what happens when you concentrate too much on scale playing. you end up playing notes because they are in a particular scale rather than because they sound good!

The thing is that if you play those scales from the lowest note to the highest, it'll not mean a lot of things. To have a good listening of what a scale can do, you have to make a riff from it. And furthermore, that riff must be rythmically in the 'ethnic' style of the scale.For instance, an oriental scale will not sound a lot like 'oriental' if you don't make some oriental rythmical work on it. If Morbid Angel used such a scale in a song, it wouldn't sound like oriental, whereas with Orphaned Land and the kind of riffs they do, it will sound so.

I've used a few of those Japanese ones (hirajoshi, kumoi, etc.) and most of them just fit into a harmonic minor (I used a few of them together, and it all worked out as E Harmonic minor)

All I really use is Major, pure minor, harmonic minor and diminished, and a few different arpeggios, but then again I'm still a beginner (playing since augiust)