Guitar Scales & Modes

ooosanteooo

New Metal Member
Jun 1, 2010
Hi,

I am looking for a book (preferably short) that is a reference for all scales and modes.

Maybe if it includes information about the CAGED system and circle of fifths etc. would be a bonus.

Basically any book which has all the modes and scales printed out in tabs (+ notes) to have as a reference.

I know you don't really need a book to learn that stuff, and I know the theory behind it already.

Just wanted to see if anyone can suggest the best book on the subject!

Many thanks!

-J

Ja, well thanks for the input but I was asking for books specifically.

There are about 1000+ websites I found about the CAGED system and although some are useful I wanted a pointer to the best resource.

For example this one: http://www.highcountryguitar.com/caged.htm is quite good!

But there is a reason why I came on here and asked what the best resource is. Websites are fine, but I'd rather someone recommend a good and concise book.

As far as your input goes, thanks, but I can use google too!

The CAGED system is awful, absolutely terrible. Do not use that if you want to get good in minimal time/unless you want to be severely limited.

In response to your request for a book, the Guitar Grimoire series are good, but very redundant.

If you do want a free class on guitar scales/modes EMAIL me at zack@zackuidl.com and I would be happy to help.

Little hijack

if anyones got some links on understanding and implementing modes and some exotic scales then i'm game. I wanna spice up my leadwork. I've made my first run through musictheory.net and i'll propably make another one soon just to memorize some of the more complex stuff.

When you search for this stuff in google you get a zillion resoults and I don't know which ones are the good ones.

Ill repost this from a thread where we discussed it about 2 weeks ago: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/637360-guitar-songwriting-learning-question.html

Theory is really simple actually. This is going to be a very long post, so give me an hour or so to get it all together for you

IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE Root - 3rd 5th thing just keep reading. It will become clear

Applying music theory to song writing.

This is a very indepth subject but I am going to break it down to its core elements as it comes to song writing and the guitar in general. Music Theory is probably the monst important thing you can learn as a musician. The ability to use expanded chords and voiceings in your songwriting can add depth and dimension to even the simplest of riffs.

Part 1: The Theory Of Music:

All western music is based off of the 12 Note Chromatic Scale:
C-C#/Db-D-D#/Eb-E-F-F#/Gb-G-G#/Ab-A-A#/Bb-B

The foundation for most western music is based off of the C Major Scale. The C Major scale is the only Major Scale which contains no flats or sharps. Everyone knows the C Major scale, if you sing Do, Re, Mi .... Thats the C Major scale.

The notes of the C Major Scale are C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

We are going to use the C major Scale as the base of this lesson.

Part 2: Building Chords:

To put it in its most simple form Major chords are made up of the Root 3rd and 5th of any major scale. So if we use the C Major Scale as the base of this we end up with the notes C - E - G. If we play the 3 of these notes together as a chord you get a C Major Triad.
Minor Chords are built using Root flat3rd and 5th of the Major Scale. So if we use C Major as a reference we get C - Eb - G. If we play the 3 of these notes together as a chord you get a C minor Triad

Chord building and knowing how chords work is invaluable for a guitarist / songwriter. It allows you to build and create chord progressions, arpeggios, and give you the tools to create different moods and tensions when soloing over a chord progression by using Modes (more on modes later)

To put this into practice and songwriting in a metal context, one thing you can do is have the Guitar player just playing standard power chords (root and 5th) and you can have a clean guitar playing the Triads or the "tension" below it. The tension is what gives a chord its "color" wether its Major minor or diminished, tension notes are your 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 11th and 13th.

So guitar one would play C5 (C and G) and the clean guitar would play a C Major Triad over it. This would give you a very happy sounding riff. Alternately you can do the same with Minor chords. You can have one guitar play C5 and you can have the other guitar playing a C Minor Triad.
So to put it simple have the main guitar play a Power Chord and have another guitar play the tension on top of it to give the riff its color or mood.

Example:
Guitar one plays C5 (C and G) and guitar 2 plays Eb, and G, the Eb of guitar 2 gives the chord its minor characteristic. Guitar 2 could even play Eb and C and you would still get the minor tonality. Experiment with different chords and see what sounds best to you.

a.) Using octaves to your advantage:

An octave is 2 notes that are separated by 12 semi tones (half steps). For example, playe a C on your A string (3th Fret) then play an A on your G String (5th Fret) these notes are exactly 1 octave apart.

You can use these octaves to your advantage to make a riff more interesting. So lets take that same C5 chord we played earlier and have the 2nd guitar play a slowly arpegiated chord using C E G one octave higher. This can add some depth to a simple riff.

b.) Chord Harmony

Using chord harmony is another way to make a riff cool. Say we have 2 guitars, Guitar one plays a C Major Chord in the 3rd position (your basic C major chord). The 2nd guitar can play an A Minor chord over that and harmonize the part using music theory!
How is this possible?
Well this gets into the deepest part of music theory. Scales and Modes

Part 3: Scales and Modes

The easiest explination I can give you of modes is they are scales that are built from different parts of the Major (or minor sometimes) scale. This can get very confusing so I am going to build you a small chart so you can see how it works.

The modes follow a specific order: This order NEVER changes

Ionian (Major)
Dorian (Minor)
Phrygian (Minor)
Lydian (Major)
Mixolydian (Major)
Aeolian (Minor)
Locrian (Diminshed)

If we apply each note of the major scale to each of the modes based in C we get.

C Ionian (Major scale)
D Dorian (Minor)
E Phrygian (Minor)
F Lydian (Major)
G Mixolydian (Major)
A Aeolian (Minor Scale)
B Locrian (Diminished)

Each note also get asigned a "degree" in the scale. This is very useful for chord progressions. ir would look similar to this.

C - 1 (Root)
D - 2 (2nd)
E - 3 (3rd)
F - 4 (4th)
G - 5 (5th)
A - 6 (6th)
B - 7 (7th)

So lets put it all together:
Ionian (Major) - C - 1
Dorian (Minor) - D - 2
Phrygian (Minor) - E - 3
Lydian (Major) - F - 4
Mixolydian (Major) - G - 5
Aeolian (Minor) - A - 6
Locrian (Diminished) - B - 7

So based on this we can build chord progressions based within the key.

Lets use a ii-V-I (2 - 5 - 1) progression for this example.

So if we take the 2 chord (D minor) the 5 Chord (G major) and the 1 Chord (the C Major) and play them in succession we get a ii - V - I chord progression. If we expand on this into soloing over this progression, you can play D Dorian over the D minor chord, G Mixolydian, over the G Major Chord, and C Ionian, over the C major chord

There are a million other options but for now to keep this "SIMPLE" we will just name those.

But how do you know what a D Dorian or a F Lydian Scale is?

That my friends is the most SIMPLE part of Music Theory. If you know the notes of the Major Scale you know ALL of your modes. The easiest explination is a Mode is a Scale staring on a Degree in a Major scale and continuing that scale through its octave. CONFUSING I KNOW, but onece you SEE it you will understand. Look at the example below:

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C ( C - Ionian Mode )
D - E - F - G - A - B - C - D (D - Dorian Mode )
E - F - G - A - B - C - D - E (E - Phrygian Mode )
F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F ( F - Lydian Mode )
G - A - B - C - D - E - F - G ( G - Mixolydian Mode)
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A (A - Aeolian Mode)
B - C - D - E - F - G - A - B ( B - Locrian Mode)

See the Pattern? Make Sense?

If you play all the notes of a C Major Scale starting from D and playing through D you get the D - Dorian Mode, If you play all the notes of a C Major Scale from A to A (octave) you get the A - Aeolian Mode.

See how easy that is

Part 4: Expansion into other keys

You can use the above examples starting from any Major scale. Lets use F major for our next example. The note of the F Major Scale are F - G - A - Bb - C - D - E

So that gives us:
Ionian (Major) - F - 1
Dorian (Minor) - G - 2
Phrygian (Minor) - A - 3
Lydian (Major) - Bb - 4
Mixolydian (Major) - C - 5
Aeolian (Minor) - D - 6
Locrian (Diminished) - E- 7

So if we have a progression that is A minor, D minor and F Major what modes should we play over each chord?

(scroll down for answer)

If you said A Phrygian over the A, D Aeolian over the D and F Ionian over the F major then you got it right! THATS MUSIC THEORY!!!

Ok guys I have to get back to work but thats the basics of how music theory works

I will explans on 9th's 11th's and 13ths later .... I just have to get back to work

Quickly, if you keep counting into the next octave the 2nd becomes the 9th and so on ....

Here is a little exercise I did back in the day to get used to soloing in each mode and to hear how just by changing the mode you play over a pedal tone each mode has its own sound and emotion.

The tone is shit I know... i just threw this together fast before dinner

http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/e_modes.mp3

Listen closely to each mode and you will see which ones sound happy, sad, create tension, and so forth. Do this exercise over each tone to hear how they make you feel.

This was the book I bought to learn about modes & scales. Covers the CAGED system & circle of fifths too.
I recommend it. It does come with a CD too.

"Progressive Scales and Modes for Guitar"

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Scales-Modes-Guitar-Gelling/dp/1864690585/ref=sr_1_38?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289940501&sr=1-38"]http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Scales-Modes-Guitar-Gelling/...[/ame]