Opeth's live preformance

AI

Dec 26, 2005
Poland
It somehow bothers me that Opeth doesn't really improvise while performing on stage. The songs that can be heard live sound almost the same as the ones on the albums. What I would really like to hear is a noticeable change in the structure of at least one of the songs on the setlist. Of course now, with Per on the keyboards, the songs definitely gained on their quality and he does add something new to them. However, Per usually either replaces some sounds which were already present in Opeth's music or he can only be heard in the background. Naturally I can’t attend every single gig, but I haven’t heard of Opeth replacing a part of a song with sth that considerably varies from the original. Have you observed sth like that? If so could you name the song and the part which had sth innovative in it? (btw I don’t mean differences, for instance, in the speed of playing a particular fragment. I want to know if Mike changed sth in the main theme of the song or played the solo in a different way)

i agree, it would be cool....through in some different chords to alter the vibe a bit, or whatev. mike somewhat improves solos sometimes...especially if he fucks it up.

Closure they definatley improvise, the drapery falls solo he improvises ive heard some solos a couple of times where he improvises( the leper affinity, i had a bootleg). I would want to hear the songs exactly how they should be played. Id be dissapointed if they didnt. I dont like the sound of improvisation. Although, they do change some songs a bit when they play live.

Header said:
I don't see a point in changing brilliant music...:ill:
But I see a point in making brilliant music sound even more brilliant :D. I'm not saying that they should change every single song that they play live. If we take Pink Floyd and 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' for example. They changed a few songs by expanding them and adding a few new elements which fit their songs perfectly. Not only the songs sound great, but they simply make you think 'damn, this sounds better than the original'.

Well, i saw Opeth in utrecht, and like someone said here before, they played Closure/Bleak, bleak right after closure, but closure was so intense. Mikael added some crazy-ass solo in it. He just turned his back to the crowd and started playing some weird solo. It was great, but some of my friends didn't heard it, shame on them. and they kept on playing and playing and suddenly the began with Bleak. Don't know if you want to hear that. But that was definitely a change in one of their songs.

What are Opeth's Evening With like? Im going to the one in New York, and am wondering what im in for. Do they just play an extended set, or do they do other things like improvise and play full albums and such? Just wondering what to expect.

The only thing im really dissapointed about is that the Devin Townsend Band will not be at the evening with show. :(

k... I don't want to hear a change in any opeth song live and i sure as hell dont want them to improvise. save it for a shitty band.

blimey said:
k... I don't want to hear a change in any opeth song live and i sure as hell dont want them to improvise. save it for a shitty band.
Do you mean shitty bands like Pink Floyd or Riverside? :confused: I can't see how Opeth can ruin a song by experimenting with it (The edit versions don't count :p ). Opeth's music due to its complexity is just made for the band to show off. Mike doesn't have to use his new ideas on another album. He can incorporate them to the songs that already exist (and preferably record it and release the next dvd ;) ). However, I'm not saying that they should change a song and play the modified version on every concert from now on. They can do it just once, as long as I'll have the opportunity to listen to it :D

Opeth is not only metal. It's also cock rock :tickled: (isn't that what we all like about them :Spin: )
Apostle In Triumph said:
Contradicted yourself there buddy.
Sorry, what I ment to say is that he doesn't have to use ALL his new ideas on the next album :)

Oxyn said:
And Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan and Neil Young and....

Yeah, shitty bands improvise :Spin:
Of course you can claim that Led Zeppelin is a shitty band, but it seems that Mike has a different opinion. Check out his best ever albums, and you'll find Led Zeppelin - IV.

AI said:
Of course you can claim that Led Zeppelin is a shitty band, but it seems that Mike has a different opinion. Check out his best ever albums, and you'll find Led Zeppelin - IV.

How would you claim Led Zeppelin is a shitty band? By saying music is subjective? I think music sales and mostly everyone else will dissagree with that.

Improvising is for any genre. Metal bands can improvise all they want.