How would You Introduce Opeth to a friend or parents?

Having your parents/teachers/old people like Opeth, is like finally getting someone to realize how genious Mike is at composing music (in my opinion, he's as genious as beetoven or mozart) and that metal doesn't have to be all "vulgar and loud and obnoxious". I'de say Opeth try for that genious image, not a "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" image.

After all, you just don't see Slipknot donning scarves and coffee-shop poet type jackets in the photoshoots....=P

I honestly bet Mike wears reading glasses for the 'look' when no ones looking :DDD. J/kkkk. I'm glad opeth aren't afraid to be intellectual sounding and looking.

Having your parents/teachers/old people like Opeth, is like finally getting someone to realize how genious Mike is at composing music (in my opinion, he's as genious as beetoven or mozart)

lololxo3.gif
lololxo3.gif
lololxo3.gif
lololxo3.gif
lololxo3.gif
lololxo3.gif

i mean we all like opeth here, but come on now

I honestly don't underestimate him.

When you look at how songs are normally composed, by even the most complex and unique of bands, nothing beats Opeth's way of doing it. It might be a omgoshlolcat here, but writing songs in non-repeating movements, in 10 minute songs, is way harder to do than writing songs where you get to repeat a 30 second part three or four times in a 3 minute song.

And even there, the bands that atempt writing songs in movements, usually do stick to a 'just write different parts and attatch them together and hope they fit' style (grindcore is only horrible because of this), but in Opeth's music, Mike and the gang have already said that writing each part to perfectly fit with the next is their deal.

Well, that is your opinion, but there are plenty of bands that can do what you have just explained (in my opinion of course). Don't get me wrong, Opeth are great, but I hardly think people are going to be speaking of them in the same breath as Mozart.

I honestly don't underestimate him.

When you look at how songs are normally composed, by even the most complex and unique of bands, nothing beats Opeth's way of doing it. It might be a omgoshlolcat here, but writing songs in non-repeating movements, in 10 minute songs, is way harder to do than writing songs where you get to repeat a 30 second part three or four times in a 3 minute song.

And even there, the bands that atempt writing songs in movements, usually do stick to a 'just write different parts and attatch them together and hope they fit' style (grindcore is only horrible because of this), but in Opeth's music, Mike and the gang have already said that writing each part to perfectly fit with the next is their deal.

lmao jesus christ, writing metal riffs on a guitar is something any rebellious teenager can do. writing a symphony where you have to write melodies for every instrument in an entire orchestra takes trillions of times more artistic vision and talent. and where do you get the idea that opeth songs don't have repeating 'movements?' every single song on watershed has an aba progression in it, except maybe hessian peel idr

You're not so bad, frodo. *Or you suck terribly, whatever response a troll such as yourself is looking for*

As far as getting others into Opeth......Hope Leaves or A Fair Judgement.....Ive got a few people that way.

Or i tell them to listen to Masters Apprentices all the way through, even if the death growl turns them off, they still are shocked and love the softer vocals and dont understand how he switches so fast.

I tried for months to fully get my girlfriend into Watershed and Still Life. She was just never ever going to get into the growls.

So instead I burned her Damnation,

as well as a soft mix cd with the songs in this order:

1.Coil
2.Face of Melinda
3.Isolation Years
4.Patterns in the Ivy
5.Still Day Beneath The Sun\
6.Hours of Wealth
7.Burden
8.Benighted
9.Credence
10.Harvest
11.Hex Omega
12.Atonement
13.To Bid You Farewell

I tried for months to fully get my girlfriend into Watershed and Still Life. She was just never ever going to get into the growls.

So instead I burned her Damnation,

as well as a soft mix cd with the songs in this order:

1.Coil
2.Face of Melinda
3.Isolation Years
4.Patterns in the Ivy
5.Still Day Beneath The Sun
6.Hours of Wealth
7.Burden
8.Benighted
9.Credence
10.Harvest
11.Hex Omega
12.Atonement
13.To Bid You Farewell

No A fair judgement!!

Good tactic:

Introduce non-metal buddies to some REAL ACTION first, then they will tolerate Opeth no problemo and like it. Give them a smack of Suffocation or Cryptopsy, then they will get the "essence" of metal. Once they understand it, Opeth will be easy.

Whereas if you introduce opeth first then it has non metal parts mixed with metal and will confuse them. So give them the REAL BUSINESS first.

You know what, the people here have completely changed my mind. I now think of Opeth being on the same brainwave as Greenday and Britney Spears, since some peopel here obviously have taken years of classical music classes and composed compositions of their own, as well as having seen the musical notation of MANY famous classical peices and knowing their complexity and progression. Seriously, I just feel stupid.