How would You Introduce Opeth to a friend or parents?

I don't see the point in playing them a mellow song. I would play them something that's truly representative of Opeth, like "The Leper Affinity" or "Ghost of Perdition."

With Opeth, you need to dive head first into the music and give it enough time and attention before deciding whether it's for you. This seems to have been the case for a lot fans, including myself.

WTF? What a totally lame thread. Why is Opeth the only band where their more trendy fanbase feel they need to play the music for their mom and dad? I've seen this so many times on this board over the years and it's so gay! You never see this type of ridiculous teenie-bopper crap on ANY other death metal band board.

Dude, why do you need approvement of your music by your parents? This is heavy metal! It's not supposed to be understood or liked by your parents! If you can't understand that, then you don't "get" heavy metal and should be listening to top 40 pop music that you CAN enjoy with your parents.

WTF? What a totally lame thread. Why is Opeth the only band where their more trendy fanbase feel they need to play the music for their mom and dad? I've seen this so many times on this board over the years and it's so gay! You never see this type of ridiculous teenie-bopper crap on ANY other death metal band board.

Dude, why do you need approvement of your music by your parents? This is heavy metal! It's not supposed to be understood or liked by your parents! If you can't understand that, then you don't "get" heavy metal and should be listening to top 40 pop music that you CAN enjoy with your parents.
Stop trying so hard.

To go from disliking the growls to liking the growls, I find you have to be personally interested in developing that taste for the growls (you have to WANT to like the growls) - with some people it just won't happen. But I have finally gotten to the point where my parents and some friends accept that Opeth are good musicians and that their own predjudices are just their own opinions that growling is inherently ugly in a sense. So at least I've gotten past that point where everyone hears the unintelligible growls and automatically assumes its meant to be random noise dedicated to the devil. With my mom, I told her the storyline of Still Life (yes its dark but with the themes of love and all that) and then I told her what every song on Ride the Lightning means (used to be one of my favorite albums way back when - like every song is about a different way to die essentially...), just to get the point across that "how the vocals sound" =/= "what the lyrics say." So she was reluctant to believe it wasn't all evil emo crap but...I think that dispelled that myth in her head that Opeth was somehow evil. That combined with me showing off some instrumentation on some tracks (ie "just listen to how synchronized that kickdrum is with the guitar" - idk something random like that) and they should eventually accept that the band is musically good and they just dislike the growls because of their own opinions, opinions they should keep to themselves...

If they can't at least accept that Opeth isn't random screamo noise after all that, then they're either deaf, or incredibly narrow-minded to the extent that you should possibly consider how much you really give a shit about this "friend"

Loving your parents is totally un-metal.

Yeh, id agree with damnation, or some of the covers. Like soldier of fortune (good track for oldies), den stadiga resan (could be good for chicks), Would and bridge of sighs for the rest.

I played Heir Apparent to my dad a couple of weeks ago, and now he has bought Watershed and The Roundhouse Tapes DVD. 'nuff said ^^

It took me a LOOOONG time to get into the first album I bought, BWP.
I too was introduced by a friend through a mellow song, Harvest, and was initially upset when I heard the rest of it.
Then before long I had that CD in my player without a break for months...

If the people you are attempting to introduce the 'peth to are open-minded musically, just give it time to sink in.

I discovered Opeth when my band-jamming friends wanted to play Demon of the Fall with me, but I didn't want. At first, I thought that it sucked. Then they started playing Deliverance. After a really big lot of repeats, I finally got into it. It took a little while (like 3 months) but now I just can't get rid of it. :headbang:

I would have my victim tied up a la "Clockwork Orange" and then have them watch the Porcelain Heart video put on repeat for hours on end.

If they already like metal, then Deliverance or Advent.

If not, then it depends...

If you know they/he/she will listen to the whole song, no matter what.
Then Ghost of Perdition is perfect.

If you know they/he/she does/will not like growling, and you don't even want to try to "convert" them, then an acoustic or The fair judgement or Face of Melinda will do.

If they/he/she is already pretty open minded then I quess you can play pretty much anything, but I suggest something that doesn't kick right into the deathmetal, like When, Moonlapse vertigo or Bleak.

But in general, a fine choice would be Beneath the mire.

^ IDK, I, and several others, hated that mellotron weirdness in Beneath the Mire, at least on the first listen. Now it's one of my favorite songs period, but looking at my Opeth noob self of months ago, I would not recommend it to just anyone.

I would have my victim tied up a la "Clockwork Orange" and then have them watch the Porcelain Heart video put on repeat for hours on end.

Roundhouse Tapes or Lamentations maybe, but this won't do shit, as Porcelain Heart and another video (Burden) really don't come close to representing Opeth's music as a whole, and The Grand Conjuration video would be a little closer if it wasn't the shittiest chopping up of a song I'd ever seen. (WTF IS "THEEEEE GRAAAAAAAND -RAAAAAAATIOOOOOOON)

:lol:! It's not THE GRAND RATION, they just left the word CONJURATION :lol:

Strange, I was almost certain I saw one that was 5:00 and said that (roadrunnerrecords or something?), but I did just double check the 5:06 one under roadrunnergermany and yea..its conjuration...which is still stupid but at least its not a grand portion of food.