how did you discover Opeth?

NineFeetUnderground said:
rrjii2000 said:
lulz @ bwp, damnation and deliverence not being boring now...but saying ghost reveries is. :lol:

Wo Wo Wo easy, somehow this ended up sounding like I saif Ghost Reveries gets boring!! [see post #76](MY actual post said nothing of the sort) In fact I once listened to GR for about 5hrs really loud on repeat in the car and it became almost spiritual

Just downloading music. I found Harvest and wasn't too impressed.

Couple weeks later I found Deliverance And I've Been hooked since

I was in Generation Records in NYC and they were playing Bleak off of Blackwater Park. I immediately bought the album. I didn't like it that much at first (it was my first experience with roaring), but then it grew on me, and now not only do I own all the Opeth albums, but also tons of other metal albums which I wouldn't have gotten into if not for Opeth.

Thanks guys!

I read heaps and heaps of good reviews about Opeth on my fav music site Sputnik. Downloaded a few songs like Demon of the Fall and Karma which I thought were ok but I didn't really like growls at the time. Sometime later I was looking in the metal section of my fav music store and found a copy of Blackwater Park it had a cool cover but cost like AUD$33 when most CDs I get are like AUD$20-25. I remember not liking The Leper Affinity or Bleak but fell in love with Harvest and Blackwater Park (which was the song that got me into growls basically). The next week I walked past another music which had Ghost Reveries posters all over it and quickly went inside and bought it, and bought Still Life not much later, After that I was hooked. :worship:

back in 2001 i got a metal hammer cd with the magazine which had the drapery falls edit on it. i thought it was pretty cool but didnt look very into it. then one day, a few weeks later on the net i found a bootleg of demon and went HOOOOOLAAAAYYY! Haven't looked back since.

i kept hearing about them without any interest until I read an article in Guitar World Acoustic...

Deliverance and Damnation were the first discs I heard...

My friend Mark was using the Opeth logo as his avatar on one of the forums I frequent, and I found it quite intriguing. So I looked into the band a little. I also asked Mark about them and he soon sent me "The Moor", and at first listen I wasn't quite into it. But even then the contrast in vocals stood out to me. I wasn't in a metal mood at the time. I was listening to a lot of Hindustani classical music, so that should give you an idea where my head was.

About a month later I found a couple of their albums as mp3's on the network at work. I went back and listened to "The Moor" again and this time I was blown away. It's still my favorite Opeth track. I went out and bought Still Life a week later and I was immediately hooked. I think it's their best album too. Lamentations being my second purchase, over the course of two months I ended up buying their entire catalogue. That's rare because I'm really picky with what music I spend money on.

Mark also introduced me to Nevermore and Carcass, two more of my favorite metal bands. At the time I was listening to Slayer, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, stuff like that. Still love those bands too.

I read an article about them in a magazine (Rock Hard), where they were labelled as kind of "death metal + progressive rock" and that made me curious...I got SL first, but actually at first I couldn't get over the growls...took a whole year!

decided to check out the band after Edge of sanity's crimson (another metal masterpiece!!) where mikael sang the black metal parts. since it was really rare back then ('96) to buy any metal CDs in my country before all the mp3 DLing i've actually have to place an order from shop that i frequent. took a month, and when it finally came i was in utter shock.. to see just an orchid on the front cover and a luminous blue cd print inside... but it is indeed one of the finest record i've ever purchased. and it just carried on from there when morningrise was released.

was really into death metal 3-4 years ago, and was browsing the AOL metal forums, and saw loads of peeps recommending opeth as an "awesome death metal band". so the first songs i downloaded were 'credence' and 'harvest,' and at the time i was thinking :erk: "metal?" then i got BWP and liked it, etc.