How Did You Discover Opeth?

It's so frustrating... I try to get everyone to listen to opeth yet they always dismiss the death vox. In my friends group I've managed to get 2 people listening to opeth... yet the rest are happy with their DT *semi-cringe* and other shit... If only you could get some people to listen past the first 2 minutes... one of my mates I tried to get into opeth... I gave him deliverance and blackwater park to listen to... response following day "that stuff is shit" and then he goes and puts on slipknot or one of those other Nu' bands *cry* :-(

About 8 years ago I borrowed a cd from a friend that had a couple of songs from Morningrise (Black Rose Immortal and Nectar I believe). Opeth blew me away on the first go and I have been hooked ever since.

It was about 4 years ago when I discovered opeth. I was in a music store that I had seen and I saw they blackwater park cover and I bought it because it intrigued me. I fell in love with the band have seen them live 3 times now. I could never get tired of listening to them, they are so freakin talented.

A friend told me to listen this parts:

2:10-3:12 - The Leper Affinity
5:45-6:25 - Forest of October
7:25-8:30 - Black Rose Immortal
6:35-7:53 - Karma
6:21-7:07 - White Cluster
8:06-8:55 - By The Pain I See in Others
6:28-7:00 - The Grand Conjuration

9 years ago,we were still into casettes..copies..not the CD's..and a man from the shop named Rock Market gave me a casette named "My Arms Your Hearse"..i was walking back to home late at night..it was raining..and prologue..

A friend sent me In My Time of Need, Harvest and Demon of the Fall. I loved the mellow songs, but hated the growls (I was totally against growling at the time). I soon got Damnation and fell completely in love with it. It was when I was watching Lamentations for the first time and Mike started playing Master's Apprentices that I've seen the Opeth light in all its glory. I got the studio version of the song and decided to give the band a second chance. I've been hooked ever since.

Brother came over with damnation. liked it. Then there was the military and while being trained in Stavanger (Norway), heard Opeth was gonna play and went to the concert and headbanged so hard... I'm sure it looked quite funny, considering i was skinhead hair style at the time. heard still life, loved it... and with time i heard the other albums. and one day I found an opeth t-shirt on me and figured I had to be a fan already.

It's so frustrating... I try to get everyone to listen to opeth yet they always dismiss the death vox.

Well, that is kind of expected, though, isn't it? I mean, I don't think I've ever heard death vocals on the radio, so people just aren't used to it. And most people probably don't have the capacity to get used to it if they were to give it a try, don't you think? It took me quite a while to get used to death vocals, and I'm a music fanatic. Most people are not music fanatics who will give something new a chance to sink in if it doesn't grab them immediately.

the rest are happy with their DT *semi-cringe* and other shit...

lol, you get upset that people tend to dismiss Opeth, and then you turn around and dismiss Dream Theater. Hmmmm..... ;)

I frequent a audio forum for home theater and 2 channel stereo enthusiasts. A lot of guys there are really into Porcupine Tree and Blackfield. Any ways I started really getting into Steven Wilsons work, and every now and then the name Opeth would pop up in interviews I was reading or forum posts. I semi-checked Opeth out, but the growling would get in the way of me ever expressing interest. But again I kept seeing Opeth's name connect with Steven Wilson.

I did an Amazon search and found out about Damnation. Bought it and was immediatly blown away. What really got me hooked though was Lopez's drum work. All I could think was, "How in the hell can a guy that plays death metal turn around and percussion something so beautiful!" So damnation sat in my cars CD player for about 4 months of pretty much non-stop play.

I then decided to give the "harder" stuff a try again. I bought Ghost Reveries, and this time I was more prepared. I still had a hard time focusing during the growl sections, so I started listening to Reverie/Harlequin Forest over and over, and Mike's vocals finally became more clear to me, and how the "growl" really fits into the whole scheme of what Opeth is doing. Once I got that part of it, the rest of it all came together.

Then I bought the Lamentations DVD, and was blown away by Deliverence, Leper Affinity, Drapery Falls, and Masters Appentices. Now I am hooked for life. Thank You Opeth!!

wow what the fuck i seriously don't remember, i have a good memory too. it must of been a slow phase getting into them or something but i know the growls didn't bother me at all.

about the age of 27, i went travelling for 9 months and in that time i did a lot of road trips and i stumbled upon a few good metal radio stations in the US and i started to listen to metal again for the first time since i was 16.

when i got back i started to look at the more extreme bands (that were not played on the radio), as around about the time i stopped listening i was into morbid angel, kreator, entombed and death.

I read an interesting review on still life on amazon and it was only five pounds or something, so i decided to give it a shot. Took me little while to get into it and the rest is history as they say.

Heard "Morningrise." in 1996. Thought it was ok. Was listening to Porcupine Tree since 1994 and heard that Mr.Akerfeldt was collaberating with Steven Wilson sometime in 2000-02. Re-visited "morningrise" and purchased "Still Life". Opeth since have became one of my favorite bands. Own everything I could get my hands on. High anticipation for "Watershed."