how did you discover Opeth?

It was in 1996, when I bought all Dan Swanö productions.
I bought Opeth "Morningrise" and Novembre "Wish I Could..." at the same time, at at that moment I saw the light...

Music Choice 4 or 5 yrs ago.

I've been hooked ever since. They also introduced me to the eurometal scene. :headbang:

If only I had discovered them sooner. When I was in high school, all the minorities would show up in their lowriders blasting hip-hop. I would show up blasting Metallica, Tool, Ozzy & Pantera. If I could turn back the clock, it would've been Opeth.

About a year ago I was reading posts on a forum about one of my favorite serbian bands -- Block Out. Block Out is a kinda prog-rock band, not metal by any strech of the imagination, but they do have a few heavier songs (a little like Tool I guess), and they have a few songs that would fit nicely into Damnation, but they are very different from Opeth...

So the guy on the forum said the following big words that stuck to me:

"I know of no other band in the world who plays music like Block Out... except maybe Opeth...".

And I was like: "Who the fuck are Opeth?!? :err: ", but I didn't bother to check them out.

A few months later I was reading the line-up for a rock festival here in Budapest last summer. And lo and behold, Opeth is in there. On the Metal stage. I was never really a huge heavy metal fan (prejudice, I guess...), I liked a few songs from Testament's The Gathering but that was about it. So I decide to check out this "Block Out" sounding band, I download Blackwater Park and I press play.

The Leper Affinity begins.. "nice & heavy" I'm thinking, end then I hear "We entered winter once again...". I must admit I giggled at the vocals at first. And then I hear "Lost are days of spring...", and I'm thinking WTF?!? By the time the "Devious movements in your eyes..." part in Bleak came I was hooked for life. :D

The festival gig was great, but the gig they had in december was even better. Probably the best rock concert I've ever been to (and I've been to a few, I'm 32). And I can't stop thinking about how I am going to see them again on Novarock in a few months! :D

So I am obsessing about Opeth ever since.

cousin told me she saw them in sweden in 2004 i think it was. told me i should listen to some so she sent me a mix and i got hooked on harvest. after that i got used to the death vocals and got absolutely hooked:)

a few years ago, on the new cd rack of a store was blackwater park...

the graphic on the front was awesome, an i remembered possibly seeing this band at milwaukee metalfest a year or two before, so figured might as well jump on with that one...

it blew me away...

i'd always been into metal, but never heard anything as encompassing as thier sound...
soon after i had all their previous works, haven't missed one since, and even bought the BP re-release, with the bonus tracks...

My sister bought an MP3 CD in rockshop. It was shop asistant advice, he told that this is one o the most genius metal bands in the whole world. Theirs style is special and I think that this style their own, there are no another one band, which playin like OPETH!

EVH316 said:
Yeah was that the one with 'When' on it? That's how I first heard them.

Yep, that's the one. Those identity compilations were great, i discovered so many bands that way. It's really weird going from these uber unknown bands (at the time) and then watching a lot of them (arch enemy, opeth, Lacuna Coil, Soilwork, etc.) become these bands you'd have to be an idiot to listen to metal and not know who they are. Kinda cool actually.

Went to the CD store looking for something new. (at the time I was into Linkin Park, Tool, etc. and getting bored) I decided to look at the metal section and saw Blackwater Park, there was a review sticker on the front that said Opeth was the "most innovative, inventive band in metal today" I bought the cd and was completely blown away by it - hooked ever since - now its my religion.

late 1999, still life had been released in europe. i had heard them a few months before on the century media "firestarter" compilation cd, and liked it. i again stumbled upon them by clicking the "similar artists" link for emperor on cdnow.com. so i bought the import version of still life and every other album that same day. i continued to follow the band since.

rrjii2000 said:
GreyHammer said:
Went to the CD store looking for something new. (at the time I was into Linkin Park, Tool, etc. and getting bored)

One of the cool things about Opeth is that even after 1000's of listens, the tunes dont get boring. Except for maybe Ghost Reveries.

lulz @ bwp, damnation and deliverence not being boring now...but saying ghost reveries is. :lol:

Back sometime in September or October I finally listened to Opeth because I had heard a bunch of people on other websites talking aobut how awesome they are. And also, my dad told me about em. My dad has Blackwater Park and Still Life, and I listened to Blackwater Park, and loved it. And since then, I bought Ghost Reveries, and went to see them in concert on Feb. 15 of this year. Really awesome.

I was hanging out with this guy who had the most massive collection of music, back in India. He was playing a compilation CD. I was listening to 'Sins of Thy Beloved' on his deck. I was intensely blown by the sound of that band. Then, there was the song Advent of Morning Rise, next on the CD. I thought it was the same band. When I double checked which band it was, from then on, I have been a fan of Opeth.

A friend of mine recommended Morningrise to me a few years back, and so I downloaded a track off of Morningrise (Black Rose Immortal), liked it, then bought Blackwater Park....and it took off from there, theyve been my favorite band ever since!!