How Did You Discover Opeth?

A friend came back from college and introduced me to Opeth while I was still attending high school. I have no idea what album he put on. The most extreme metal I had ever heard was Metallica so I hated the screaming. He went to college, but a month or 2 later I downloaded some Opeth (I know I am evil). I think the first 2 songs I really listened to were Demon of the Fall and Serenity Painted Death, so I got lucky in that my first serious exposure to Opeth came in the form of 2 of their best songs. Next I listened to Blackwater Park for a few months. I liked the music so much I forced myself to get over the screaming. I felt as thought I had discovered the one true meaning of life and everyone else had no idea. It really felt like some orgasmic epiphany. Surely, someone here can relate to that feeling. Even after it wore off I remained a fan, converting half my high school to Opethism. That happened years ago but I still keep the faith and have seen Opeth like 3 times. I have tried to expose myself to other metal bands too, in hopes they would sound as good; some sound ok, but Opeth pwns them with all with a vengeance in the end.

Old, old school thrasher here. Now the 1st time I heard Opeth(many years ago) I didn't pay them much mind since I'm not big on the dm vocals. Fast forward to a couple of years ago, I heard Grand Conjuration on someone's myspace page and loved it. Went out that day and bought the cd, next day I bought the rest. :OMG: They are now my favorite band and I don't think I go one day without listening to them. :headbang:

For me i was introduced to opeth by my friend 3 years ago.. he's not a big fan of their music but he let me listen to Ghost Of Predition.. and damn i loved it..yeah i got into opeth very late..

Anyway since then ive been listening to Opeth all the time and even bought some of thier older albums..tho have yet to buy D/D, Blackwater park and My Arms Your Hearse..
and yeah they are the most AWESOME band i've ever listened to:headbang::headbang:

My mate played me The Drapery Falls in about 2004 I think. The only metal I had really listened to was Metallica. I didn't like the album Blackwater Park when I listened to it in the CD store, but a few days later, I decided to download it and give it another go. I've been hooked ever since! I got Still Life and Orchid after that, and they grew on me quite slowly. But slowly but surely, I came to love them. Then came Morningrise, Deliverance and Damnation. The latter two hit me quickly and then disappeared from my care, but Morningrise stayed. MAYH has never really grabbed me though. Then I got Ghost Reveries when it came out and I was a bit disappointed, except for Ghost of Perdition and somewhat The Baying of the Hounds.

When My Arms, Your Hearse was released I realized I should act on all those reviews of the band where they were praised so much. I bought the CD, but couldn't get it into it, not because of the vocals or anything, I was already a fan of extreme music, but the whole vibe or atmosphere of the album was so depressing at the time. I listened to it occasionally, and liked "April Ethereal" well enough, but it didn't really click.

Then came Still Life (in '99) and "The Moor" just took me and raped the shit out of me and I became a fan, buying Orchid and Morningrise and falling in love with those two.

After the dissapointment of Blackwater Park, I believed Opeth's importance in my life had come to an end, but Deliverance and later Ghost Reveries both hooked me and now I listen to Opeth each and every day, and have done so since '99. I have at least 15 Opeth T-shirts, seen them several times live (and have a ticket for next time yiha) and am looking forward to Watershed with butterflies in the olde stomach.

Oh, and of course My Arms Your Hearse finally revealed its sombre grandieur.

lol, you get upset that people tend to dismiss Opeth, and then you turn around and dismiss Dream Theater. Hmmmm..... ;)

oh yes, but I have given DT a chance, for 3 years, I just get bored with them now. I didn't dismiss them straight out.

I think they should put opeth music on the waiting music line for ISP companies. I spent 50 minutes waiting on the phone listening to the worst of the 70s and 80s...

First song I heard was "Bleak" by some people back when I was in high school, then "White Cluster" and became a massive fan.

oh yes, but I have given DT a chance, for 3 years, I just get bored with them now. I didn't dismiss them straight out.

That's cool. I like them, but no band can be everyone's cup of tea.

I think they should put opeth music on the waiting music line for ISP companies. I spent 50 minutes waiting on the phone listening to the worst of the 70s and 80s...

That would be cool, though there are those who would think otherwise.

Actually, I think that those phone systems should give the caller options of what music to listen to while on hold. Something like, "Press 1 for classical, press 2 for jazz, press 3 for new age, press 4 for golden oldies, press 5 for classic rock, press 6 for 80s, press 7 for alternative, press 8 for country," or something like that. Of course, 9 could be for Opeth (saving the best for last)!

:hotjump::hotjump:Looks like this thread is attracting a lot of new people. Sweet! Count me in!

Hi, and thanks for having me.

The first time I heard Opeth was 8, 9, 10 years ago. It was before the turn of the century/millennium. I found a used Iron Maiden tribute album for cheap with a lot of bands I never heard of (forever on the prowl for new music). Most, I really didn't care for (death metal versions of Iron Maiden songs, in my opinion, are absolutely unnecessary and add nothing). But a few stuck out: Steel Prophet, Solitude Aeturnus, and OPETH!! Their version of "Remember Tomorrow" was DAMN good, and I remember looking in the booklet to see their band logo next to the song title, thinking it looked cool. I decided to order "Morningrise" shortly after hearing this, just to see what they really sounded like. I love REAL music, so my respect for these guys was almost instant. It did take a little bit to get into it however, I must admit. But it finally clicked in my head and MAYH (now with "Remember Tomorrow" on it) was next.

From then, on, it's been a musical journey with every album released, as well as every time each has been heard. At this time, I'm the only person I know who can't get enough. I'm trying to get a friend into Opeth, but he's another who can't get past the death growls. I mean, I take my death growls in small doses, but SHIT, these guys are AMAZING!! Sucks, though, in the 8 or 9 years I've been listening to their music, I haven't seen them yet.

Well, I've seen a thread on "favorite Opeth album" and my answer would have to be...THE NEXT ONE!!! :OMG::kickass::Smokin::headbang::OMG:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to do it!!

Thanks for reading (sorry so long)

Can't wait for "Watershed"!!!

listened to only metallica for a while (first 4 albums). i got into music at a late age i was 16 or something. friend told me about 'prog metal' and since i was a classical musician at the time it seemed intriguing. dream theater was his band of choice. i got really into dream theater and tried to find all the best prog metal bands out there. opeth was one of them, however it was extremely difficult getting into them. i appreciated their dynamics but the songs were intimidating with the death vox and such. over the months i began to loose interest in the symphonic, complexjustforthesakeofbeingcomplex kinda shit, and the darker side of music appealed to me more as my life took some very bleak turns.

but ill never forget the first time i heard opeth, i was a junior in high school walking up to eat lunch with my friends and my bud lent me his ipod and put on the leper affinity. the heavy guitars i thought were cool, i was bobbing my head to the riffs... when the acoustic segment came on my heart practically stopped.

I saw a gig advertised where Opeth were co-headlining with Arch Enemy, and Devildriver were support, and as I liked Arch Enemy and Devildriver, I decided to listen to some Opeth, and now I love them :) Now I really can't wait for the gig :D

A friend sent me The Drapery Falls and I fell in love with it. After a while,I listened to Harvest,Ending Credits,Bleak and Requiem.After that I bought all the records I could find.

I was bored with everything I was hearing...checked out some random recommendations on Amazon, found the Opeth reviews interesting..bought "Still Life"...thought it was good....but.....didn't quite get it. Then, took a chance on the "Lamentations" DVD and was completely and utterly blown away. I'd never seen/heard metal presented in that way. Bought all the albums, loved everything like a total fanboy, and now try and convert everyone I know to Opeth!. My favourite bands of all time would be The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Opeth...that's how highly I rate them!.

I was kinda sick a while back, the guy I was seeing had Damnation. So I listened to it repeatedly and it put me to sleep so peacefuly, being awake wasn't very enjoyable at the time. Ever since then, I have enjoyed much Opeth in my waking hours. :)

I first got aware of Opeth at hultsfredsfestivalen 2000! I listened to only one song and felt that it was nothing for me. Later at home I got BWP of a friend. After that I was hooked. Thats pretty much it.

Edit:Now I realize that I've been to an Opeth show without seeing all of it :O

At the time, I wasn't really into death metal at all (mainly the growls and vocals) but my friend had me listen to Blackwater Park (song). At first I didn't really care for it, but after listening to Damnation a lot that summer, I slowly grew to love the music and now they are by far one of my favorite bands (and probably the sole reason why I listen to death metal or metal in general now).