How does Opeth inspsire you?

oh yeah opeth is damn inspiring... from poetry to music and singing techniques...i like the things i draw while listening...i'm a better person within moor's influence...hehe

well...
mainly it's just that when i see people doing something they love really well it reminds me not to be half-arsed about anything that i am doing.
more pointedly, i am taking up the bass because i just cannot handle not playing an instrument (i have always been a singer, and no bass jokes, please) and i think that finding opeth got me into new music again and just digging music more in general.
'dat's my 2-cents.
xo

Opeth is probably the biggest musical influence and inspiration I currently have. I've been playing bass for about two years now, and almost all I ever learn any more is Opeth. Their sound and style is so diverse between each album and song, it never gets boring playing them. And with each song, it produces its own special difficulty, as in the speddy bass part in the intro for The Drapery Falls, or the thrashy intro for The Leper Affinity. Ever member of that band is so talented at each intrument they play, that is just mind boggling to me how they all got together to form the pefect band. Lopez has incredible skill and speed. I have have heard quite a few drummers do faster beats than Lopez, but never better. So as long as they keep kicking out albums, people will be amazed and inspired.

Well, I'm a sucker for beauty, and many of Opeth's gorgeous folk or twin guitar passages truly inspire me because they evoke the emotional responses to beauty within me. Coupled with the frostbitten or poignant lyrics and natural themes in artwork and song titles, Opeth simply put me in touch with natural beauty as well, and I find that inspiring.

This may not seem cool and metal or whatever, but what inspires me the most about Opeth is Mikael's singing. Steven Wilson put it best, he really has an incredible voice for melodic singing. Especially on Still Life. Mikael's voice on that album, especially the double tracked parts are really amazing to me. The clean parts in Moonlapse Vertigo, "There is no forgiveness. . ." in The Moor, "Came with the moon. . ." on Serenity Painted Death, and Benighted as a whole.

And the same can be said on Damnation, but in a different way. His voice isn't as double tracked as often, but it's still wonderful to listen to. Hope Leaves is just perfect. I've put Damnation on, and people that have no interest in the music I like, and they've complimented Mikael's singing. He has an accessible voice in every aspect of the word.

And some of the lines on The Human Equation are just done so perfectly.

If I were to try and start singing seriously, Mikael would be a HUGE influence.

They've inspired my writing...I know Mikael's lyrics are extremely convoluted, but I do enjoy the overarching concepts as a writer (by hobby, rather than profession).

T-Rat said:
well...
mainly it's just that when i see people doing something they love really well it reminds me not to be half-arsed about anything that i am doing.
more pointedly, i am taking up the bass because i just cannot handle not playing an instrument (i have always been a singer, and no bass jokes, please) and i think that finding opeth got me into new music again and just digging music more in general.
'dat's my 2-cents.
xo

T-Rat, I think that's great that you will be taking up the bass. Good luck with that.

I have a drum set and I've played off and on through the years but my perfectionist ways got inbetween my progression. In other words, sometimes I give up because I'm too hard on myself. However, I think I will be "inspired" to get back into it once again.

I usually don't post on forums but this thread forced me to.

How does Opeth inspire me hmmm...let me count the ways.
When I jam with a drummer I am constantly finding myself struggling when I am forced to improvise to new riffs. It is very easy to play what I have written and get my drummer to put a cool beat to it as most bands do. When I am struck for a new idea to continue the song we are working on I just listen to Opeth, I listen to their transitions between arrangements and why they work, and they inspire me with new ideas on how to continue songs. I'd say this is the biggest way Opeth inspires me, they are technical, melodic, and brutal all at once.

Opeth inspires me many ways, the most obvious is musically. I always try with my playing to incorporate something I wouldn't normally, just to see if something does happen, just to check really if I can maybe tap into the creative vein and release something that moves me as much as the music Opeth makes. The music is a truly great inspiration for me. On another note, I really enjoyed anonymousnick2001's response and feel the same way.

Opeth inspires me ... to think in which is left behind :|
Like some of my friends say:" emotional crap!" lol
Also inspires to write poetry, music I wish in my bands, currently one band could put Opeth but my fingers!!! yeah right :zipit:

Mainly Opeth inspires my life, the way to live smoothly and not like the sad portuguese reality!!!

So as you can see in my id picture thid is how opeth inspires to make artwork (I wish i could place the fullsize though...)

Opeth inspires me to draw pictures and write poetry. And play guitar. They're pretty good. I use them as background music for everyday life.