Thank You, Opeth!

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Here's an Opeth appreciation thread! Feel free to share your Opeth stories, like how you got into them, how they changed your life, etc.. I'll start it off.

It was probably 4 years or so ago for me, maybe 2001.. Anyway I was playing TFC (Team Fortress) with a clan I was in. I think it was a practice game, but anyway we finished up and some of us went to our mIRC channel to have a chat. So we talked a bit, and they said they had an internet radio but nobody was listening to it, so a few of us started listening. I don't remember what was on, but the radio controller guy said "What do you want to hear?" And I said "Metal" thinking they would put on Linkin Park, or Korn (which are bands that I listened to, even though they never really 'caught on' and I basically just listened to them to look cool around my friends) So anyway the name changed to "Opeth - The Moor" and a bunch of seconds passed. I said "I don't think it's working" and the guy said "Hold on, it just starts out low". :tickled: So anyway it fades in, and I was like "this sounds like something my dad listened to when he was my age" And that first acoustic riff made me think even more that it was something pretty old that my dad probably had heard before. But then it broke into the heavy, and I was like :erk: wow this is the coolness. I didn't say that but it's how I felt. Then the layered growls suddenly busted out, and I said "It was good until the singing started" :err: So anyway I ended up listening to the whole song and maybe the whole song of Godhead's Lament. So since it was pretty late at night, like 1:00 AM, I opened up Kazaa, put in the HUGE Opeth MP3s of as much as I could find of Still Life, and then went to bed while it was downloading. I was on 56k and I eventually did get the whole CD downloaded. :oops: I couldn't listen to it on the computer because I felt ashamed that I was listening to growling like this, so I burnt it on a CD-R and put it in my portable CD player. Many nights I would listen to the CD all the way through while I was on the edge of sleep, and just let it flow through my ears.. o_O

After that I searched for more metal bands, one that I saw on TV on Uranium was "In Flames" so I downloaded a ton of their songs from all their CDs and saw that it was good. Then I got Porcupine Tree because someone said Opeth had something to do with them, so I checked them out and ended up liking and eventually buying In Absentia.. To make this part of the story short, I own all the In Flames CDs, Deadwing and IA by Porcupine Tree, and all of the CDs by Pain of Salvation..

So anyway I eventually found a more convenient way to download these Opeth Tracks that are so huge in size! I downloaded My Arms, Your Hearse and burnt it on CD and immediately fell in love with the songs, especially the rampaging endings of the songs "the rain was waving goodbye, etc" And the ending for The Amen Corner, "So I rose from my sleep, etc.. " They just felt so powerful. So then when Christmas came around, I had ordered Still Life (the slip cardboard version) and MAYH <-- I think it is a reissue version but without bonus tracks.

So eventually I downloaded Orchid and Morningrise, they were crapped up internet versions and I fell in love with them, and I would always think whenever it would go over a skip or something "Wow, I bet the song would be so much more awesome without that" so eventually I bought an original Orchid for $6 and accidently bought a vinyl version of Morningrise that I still have in mint condition, for $13. I kept it in the original shipping box even. I think I'm just going to keep it for a long while.. i don't have a record player. So anyway I ended up buying Deliverance before I got my hands on Morningrise. And then I got Damnation, though I do admit I thought it was very strange when I downloaded it and that Opeth had completely pood on their sound, but after listening to it a few times it turned out it had the same effect on me as say Still Life or so. The same Opeth formula of emotions I guess you could say. So I had the entire opeth CD-ology. And I got the DVD. Woot. I'm so awesome, and not only that - I made you all read my boring story.

So anyway, previous to discovering Opeth I had listened to punk and stuff, so I do believe it is possible to be converted to metal very easily if you have an open mind. I just never had to chance to be introduced to metal until that fateful night. And now I listen to a ton of metal and I went to my first concert ever in 2004! Ozzfest. It was great.

I made MIDIs on the computer for a very small, crooked MMORPG that I would prefer not to name out of spite. :) I should mention that I learned most of how to make music on the computer by trying, and failing to have a remix put on www.ocremix.org ... There was a playerworld called 'Tribulation' that had a few of my oldschool friends working on it from back in the day of (un)said MMORPG. So they hired me for music, though I did eventually get promoted to work on levels aswell. But I made a minute long or so MIDI called "Tribulation" that had double bass drums in it, and orchestra and heavy guitars. It was pretty strange. That was probably when I started squishing my Opeth influence together with my video-game music influence. I still have most of the MIDIs I made but they're on my personal computer, if anyone wants to hear Tribulation, send me a PM and I'll send you a link or something later.

So I made some other songs, creatively titled "Battle" (which was my second song) and then I made some more songs, all with hilarious MMORPG names. Like "House". Most of these songs were looping 30 second or minute long tunes.

Now I'm at the point where I am creating long, real-sounding songs with guitar and bass recorded by myself. (That multi-instrumentalist craze is more credited to Jari Maenpaa though) My first song is 8 minutes, second is 11, the third song is 10... The fourth song that is still under construction is over 15 minutes long. I credit Opeth with most of my guitar and bass musical influence. I was very depressed until I discovered Opeth, and time seemed to just pass by and I thought that life was a very scary thing. I didn't even start learning to drive until a year late because I was so freaked out about death. Ironically, Opeth really changed my life and also got me interested in playing the guitar, so now I have something to live for. If I ever see the Opeth guys in person, they better freaking run, because I'm going to hug them so hard, they'll soil themselves. :worship:

The End.... or is it?

Wait a second -- you played TFC? I was HUGE into that game a couple years ago (and I've actually started pubbing again recently). Were you in any clans?

Oinkness said:
I credit Opeth with most of my guitar and bass musical influence. I was very depressed until I discovered Opeth, and time seemed to just pass by and I thought that life was a very scary thing. I didn't even start learning to drive until a year late because I was so freaked out about death. Ironically, Opeth really changed my life and also got me interested in playing the guitar, so now I have something to live for.

Aye, apart from the death thing, I'd say that everything you say here is the same as me.

I actually also happened to hear of Opeth through games. In my case, Action Quake 2. I was chatting to one of the clan members about metal. Back then, I was mostly into stuff like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and all that shit, although if it counts for anything, I was a bit of a Soulfly and Sepultura fan. The only other metal I listened to was the stuff on the Mortal Kombat soundtrack (which i'd listened to since I was 12), such as Napalm Death and (dare I say it) Fear Factory.

Anyway, the clan guy said to me something along the lines of 'Oo, new Opeth has just been released!'. Obviously i'd never heard of them, so he told me they were 'progressive death metal' sent me an MP3 - noneother than 'Bleak'. It was probably one of the first bands i'd heard with growling, and strangely enough, I dont remember having any problem with it - although I guess I was slightly desensitized due to the heavier songs on the MK soundtrack. I told him that Bleak was very 'uhhh, changey!'- to which he replied 'yeah, progressive :)'

This strange new sound, this 'Opeth', sparked my curiousity. So I bought Blackwater Park, and fell in love with it. :Spin: Their intensity and beautiful melodies made my head spin with joy. Being the loner that I was and am, I listened to a tiny bit of Blackwater Park between each class in school for a brief escape from the pain. Yeah, i found school very depressing. If it weren't for Opeth, there is no way I would have been able to handle it.

Soon enough, I bought My Arms, Your Hearse and was immediately disappointed. As most of you would know, this album didn't have the lush production of Steven Wilson, and in a way is a lot darker and muddier. It was lying around for a while, until i decided to force myself to listen to it. After literally about a year of listening to it, it finally grew on me, and in the process I had developed a new taste and understanding of heavy metal. I now own all of Opeth's albums, including all three tin cans and a decent amount of merchandise, not only for personal satisfaction, but also because I believe Opeth deserve every bit of money they get from my purchases, as they were one of the few contributing factors that made my life that little bit better.

On a side note, the Action Quake 2 guy sent me a Dying Fetus song - 'Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog' on the same day that he gave me 'Bleak'. I still love that song, I love mindless shit.

Thanks for making this thread, Oinkness. I haven't seen many 'share the beauty of Opeth' threads in a long time. :Spin:

Looking for a Job said:
hmm i'm afraid not. my medic/pyro/soldier skills are unstoppable

I'm not exactly as good as I used to be, but I was in H2K during their prime. That may or may not mean anything to you though, newbface.

I play CS occasionally with some friends, although I'd rather be playing CS:S (they're all too cheap to buy HL2). TFC will always be the gaming love of my life, though.