Helped sell Opeth :-)

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
At work tonight (last night) I had put on Opeth (some of Blackwater Park then some of MAYH) and during "When", a guy was checking out and he asked who was on. He looked very suit and tie type of person had this sort of grin on his face and I expected him to start trashing Opeth, but he asked where their section was and where they were from. I was still wondering when he was going to say something negative, even as he started to look through. He asked which one was on and about the others and I started thinking "hmmm...he's really interested?". Then, I saw him check out, and he bought "My Arms, Your Hearse". I thought it was so awesome. He went on to tell me about some female singer from Germany who's music is quite interesting with lots of harsh parts, I can't remember her name, though. Then another guy came up, to my register this time, and he says "playing Opeth again, huh?", and I said "oh yeah". He's been in there before while I had Opeth playing. He then asked another I'd recommend. He has "Blackwater Park" and "Still Life" so I said I recommend them all, but maybe just go in reverse order and told him it was "My Arms, Your Hearse" I had on. He went to their section after checking out, and my guess was if we had two copies of the regular "MAYH" (we had a regular one and the import), that we would have sold two copies. Twas awesome to talk Opeth with two customers in the same day. Anyway, I thought I'd share this cool event with you guys. :headbang:

PS
The "MAYH" I had on was my own copy that I took to work with me, which really isn't allowed, but the managers weren't there. :devil: Doing my best to help out Opeth in this area before I leave for London! :D

Good work, MountainDweller! Opeth missionary work is very noble! :D And personally I'm thrilled they both bought MAYH since that's my favorite.

I think that a good way of luring people into
Opeth is to get them to like Katatonia first.

Start with LFDGD, and then work them backwards...
when they really love the new katatonia stuff, I
guess it'd be easier to get them to like the
growls on the older stuff....and when they do
*evil laughter* :devil:

I thought you meant...
"I helped Opeth by doing this. Ya wanna too?"

See, it's the thinking man...the man in the suit that you would least expect to be interested in. That reminds me. I was clicking through the channels last night and came across the part in American Psycho and if you've seen it you'll know. It was the part where "Su-Su-Suido...Oh...Oh-OH!" was playing. I was like, "CLICK!!" :lol:

(I don't know how to spell Suido or whatever it's called. So sue me.) :rolleyes:

Well, as a 41-year-old CPA, I usually flip people out with my musical taste. I find the reaction sometimes comical - people don't expect a man in a suit to come in and buy Opeth or Dimmu Borgir, etc.

[I'm not as much of a suit & tie man anymore, since I can go to work casual, unless I have to see a client]

That is Awesome......you should have told him about this Forum...Metalmancpa and JesusChristPose would have someone else to team up on us youngins with;) just kidding guys:)
jAY

:headbang: :headbang:

it is the most kick ass feeling to send someone out of your cd store with an opeth cd! ive sold a ton... the place i work at makes you harass the fuck out of people so i try to make the best of it and push metal. i cant take it much longer though. i need a nice locally owned cd store to work in...:)
...sometimes i think people buy them just so ill stop harassing them about it! :p ive all but told people they were a boy band to get them sold! hell i mean, most people arent going to bitch even if they dont like it! ahaha. im evil. but yeah a few people have come back for more!

and if people dont want to pay that much for band they havent heard, i direct them to the identity five sampler. cheap=easy to sell. for the past month, falling after linkin park and the new ozzy cd, identity five is the third top selling album in my store that is in this companys "heavy metal" cd's. (linkin park? heavy metal?????)-
11 linkin parks :bah:
9 ozzys
6 identiy fives.

haha how fucked up is that!

I'm hoping for some kind of part-time job at a record store once I'm in London. It's all I've known for the past two years. Plus, I'd be able to continue my Opeth "missionary work". :) (But for some strange reason I have a feeling metal is rather unappreciated in England.) I'd like to work at a local chain, as I do now, rather than some huge company like Virgin, because I don't want to be wearing a damn store uniform. I like the more laid-back atmosphere of the local-chain-type store. Any decent local shops around? If there are, give them fair warning of my coming! :devil: