What Opeth song got you hooked?

blinkgreenozzy

Raoul Duke
Jun 10, 2005
Sammamish, Washington
I first really got into Opeth about 4 years ago when my friend let me borrow BWB....I could tell right away that they were good but I never fully grasped the depth of their music.....then about a month or so later after occasionally listening to them, I downloaded the song Black Rose Immortal. (i know im a thief i hate doing it but its ok cuz i bought Morningrise because of it :Spin: ) It was during that song where everything clicked....I felt as if I had lost my musical virginity so to speak and ever since that moment I have been completely hooked on Opeth....All the different components of their music fit so beautifully well together it was almost overwhelming. (and still is at times) I've read other people's reviews and whatnot and quite a few of them describe similar experiences where everything just "clicked" while listening to a particular song....BRI will forever be my favorite song by Opeth not only because it is an amazing song...but because of the experience I had while listening to it....so I'm somewhat curious as to which Opeth song got other people hooked....(this is my first thread so if it sucks horribly just let me know and much apologies)

The Leper Affinity and the Demon of the Fall. I went out and bought BWP and MAYH soon thereafter. I recall visiting these forums half a year later and "Deliverence" was about to get released. It got some serious bashing from the lovely frusterated guys at this forum. Back then I didn't now they where piles of turd, so I waited a while before picking up deliverence. When I finally bought it, it ruled, there is a great atmosphere / feel to the whole album. From that moment I knew one thing: Take the forum-users for what they are..

first Opeth album i got was Blackwater Park around the time it came out in 2001 and i heard The Drapery Falls and have been a fan ever since...cant wait for their show here in Ft. Lauderdale in November!

Bleak.

I turned on my cable TV's digital metal station (April 2001), and for the first minute or so I wasn't really paying attention to the music. I stopped what I was doing to listen, because something in my brain told me too. It was in the middle of the song, and I just sat down and listened to the rest. I was totally mesmerized. Deep death growling, clean vocals, melodic music - nothing like I had ever heard before. Then Mr. Obsessed sat down at his computer and began to search out this band called Opeth. I found out the album and immediately went out and purchased BWP. In my search, I happened upon Opeth.com which led me to this forum.

Sidenote: At that time, there was a contest on Opeth.com asking "What Opeth Means To Me". Well, based upon my 1/2 a song listen, I entered even before I went out and purchased the album. A few weeks after, I found out I won one of 5 copies of a signed Blackwater Park CD.

Damnation, especially Death Whispered a Lullaby. GR and The Drapery Falls got me into the heavier stuff.

I would have to say Forest of October got me hooked on opeth, followed by In The Mist She Was Standing and Black Rose Immortal. Those being the first songs I heard.

It all started many years ago, when I was downloading songs off Napster.
After discovering this awesome music, I went out and bought the albums.

For me I'd have to say it was also Black Rose Imortal. Just the change and range of emotions that song put me through was amazing!

songs on damnation like hope leaves, death whispered a lullaby, in my time of need... benighted, face of melinda, to bid you farewell. basically all their slower stuff got me into metal. I remember really hating the song Deliverance for a while. It's one of my favorites now.