What Opeth song got you hooked?

I've only been an Opeth fan for about a month now. It was when i heard the morningrise album when i became amazed by them. it took many listens for me to completely wrap my head around it, though.

My brother made me a tape ages ago and Benighted was on it. After I heard that song I couldn't stop thinking about it. I went to the local cd store to get Still Life and they were out, but they had Blackwater Park...so I bought that. I was hooked from the very first riff..I bought the rest of their cds within a week of the BWP purchase.

Advent - On Powertab \m/

.. i heard it before BWP was released if i recall correctly.. and fell in love with it .. downloaded the rest of the powertabs for the album and loved them too .. Then got a load of other powertabs and my old friend found out that they had a new album coming out - Blackwater Park. I waited until there were some powertabs for it, downloaded whichever ones were available .. and left it for some reason, even though i liked the songs.. then i downloaded The Funeral Portrait .. loved it loads.. had my mate download it and other songs at random (April Ethereal, Harvest, The Moor), decided i loved opeth.. bought BWP.. fell in love with it.. bought Morningrise.. fell in love with that.. bought My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life etc.. the pattern continues .. bought D1 and D2 after Lamentations was released though, and only recently bought Orchid and of course Ghost Reveries.

the songs that really did it for me: Advent, April Ethereal, The Funeral Portrait

I was shopping at an ex metal record store in Tampa (RIP Ace's Music) and the dude behind the counter gave me a sampler CD with like 20 different bands on it...Opeth being track 4 or 5....I had gotten about 15-20 miles away and "Bleak"came on and I actually pulled over on the side of I-75 stunned by what I heard. I immediately turned around and went back to Aces and bought Still Life and MAYH (BWP had already sold out at that location)....then drove back to Sarasota to Boogie Woogie and bought BWP.

I started out with the Damnation album, as I can imagine others did, and then I heard Deliverance and was completely blown away with it. It was the best thing I'd ever heard. And from there I was hooked.

To Bid You Farewell was the first song that I heard by them. I listened to it one night during a car ride and absolutely loved it, but for some reason, I forgot about it. A few months later, I typed them in on Windows Media Player search thingy and the samples of Bleak, Harvest, and The Twilight Is My Robe got me hooked.

So I'm going to say Bleak and Harverst.

Windowpane introduced me to the band, must have listened to that song hundreds of times... then I discovered Harvest and obsessed over that for a while. It took a long time before I could stand the death vocals, though. Godhead's Lament was the first heavy song that I really liked, mainly because of the folk section.

For me it was the very first song I heard from Opeth back in 1998, and that song was Advent. I fell in love with it. Shortly after I went to my local record(Metal) store and bought it. Opeth had become my favourite band instantly.