How Did You Discover Opeth?

Whisper and Weep

Awaken from the Miasma...
Feb 4, 2008
Lately there's been a lot of tension and hype about Watershed which will be Opeth's 9th album so I thought maybe a thread about how you first found out about Opeth would be a little different

Well for me, It all came to be when I was taking a "What Metal Band Are You Quiz." Lol yeah I know its dumb but it was awhile ago. Anyways, I happened to be Opeth, a band I knew nothing about at the time :erk: So I got some of their stuff and eventually fell in love with their music.

What about anyone else?

I was a bumbling poser, sucking the Doom Metal cock, downloading as much Theatre of Tragedy I could get my hand on. A search for Gothic Metal brought up Serenity Painted Death, the first Opeth song I ever heard. I fucking hated it. I checked out Harvest next, and liked it. Slowly working my way into the acquired taste that is Opeth, I finally became a raving lunatic fan.

tl;dr - I was using a file sharing program and came across them, when they proceeded to systematically blow my mind. I own all the albums legally now.

Buddy of mine first introduced them to me and I fell in love with the song Deliverance. It's all uphill from there. I try to play them for people who listen to all genres of music just to see what they think of them. Somehow I converted a hippie from my work (listened to ONLY Widespread Panic, Phish etc) and he loves Opeth now.

I had a friend who was big into Opeth. So I watched a couple of their YouTube vids... and was uninterested.
A year or so later I went to a music store and found the Opeth section. I was curious, so I flipped through
their available CDs. So I talked to one of the sales associates who told me that Ghost Reveries was a really
good buy. So I bought it. And the rest is history.

I had a friend who was big into Opeth. So I watched a couple of their YouTube vids... and was uninterested.
A year or so later I went to a music store and found the Opeth section. I was curious, so I flipped through
their available CDs. So I talked to one of the sales associates who told me that Ghost Reveries was a really
good buy. So I bought it. And the rest is history.

Same with me maybe 4 years ago, but I was looking for a Music DVD, and he directed me to Lamentations.

When I got into Porcupine Tree I started reading interviews Steven Wilson gave. He constantly brought up Opeth so I checked out their stuff. I first listened to Ghosts of Perdition, and liked it which I found odd because at the time I wasn't into growls in most cases. Then the clean vocals came in and threw me off in the best way possible. The next song I listened to was Patterns in the Ivy II. I listened to it over and over without ever wanting to stop. Over the next few months I bought every Opeth album and loved each one.

A kickass teacher gave me a copy of Blackwater park a little while back. Since I heard "Bleak" I've pretty much been addicted, and I've gotten a few more Opeth albums.

I started with "Closure", picked at random when I heard about a Death Metal band who was releasing an all-mellow album.
I liked it, then I d/led some others songs such as "Harvest" and "The Drapery Falls", which I found quite interesting, and "Bleak" was the one that decided me to buy CDs.

Since no shops are selling Opeth where I live, it took me about 3 months to order every album online cause I did not want to go through the entire discography in one week.

So basically I'm into Opeth since Damnation came out and I've never been disappointed till now, and after 8 great albums, it's likely I won't.

First Opeth track I ever heard was Master's Apprentices on Chronix Radio (online radio station I listened to through winamp shoutcast)

I have 250 or so albums to listen to now so I don't ever listen to chronix anymore ;p

A friend of mine sent Bleak to me. Curiously enough, I liked the growled vocals at first listen (didn't really listen to any death metal before this, just dimmu borgir and in flames) but not the clean vocals... Now I know that's because I didn't like Wilsons voice :p love his voice now though!

Edit: Don't really think I started to like Opeth until I heard The Drapery Falls a couple of weeks later though.

The first song I ever heard was Harvest.
It's kinda difficult being a really open fan, seeing as I don't know anyone else who likes their music. Or anyone who has even heard of them... Oh well. :)

like a year ago when i used to be fanatically obsessed with anime (lulztard), one of the mods (Nubbie) on the forum i spent most of my waking hours on, kept professing on about Opeth and their greatness and such. I thought to myself well "Dude, me and Nubbie are kinda alike in terms of musical tastes, so if he says Opeth are kewl i muight as well give em a try", and thus from that point on i became a disciple =D

I had been listening to alot of Metallica while raiding in World of Warcraft. A friend in my guild asked what I was listening to (he could hear it over Ventrilo when I talked), and he said have you heard of Opeth? I said no, and went away and downloaded Ghost Reveries from iTunes. I thought it was great and have since bought all their albums. I have to say they are my favourite band at the moment.

----------------
Now playing: Opeth - When
via FoxyTunes

I got into Opeth at a time i was fed up with the same old stuff classic rock. I was also at a turning point in my personal life so i really needed some fresh music. i had recently discovered Monster Magnet through are reccomendation at a music store and wanted to see what else i was missing. I was reading a friends hifi mag (dont flame me) where they had a review of Blackwater Park, the review interested me as i couldnt quite see how such a range of sounds and feels could fit together so i went out and bought Blackwater Park and a few minutes into the CD totaly loved it, seemed like someone was wrighting music without regard to conforming to a particular narrow style i loved the light and shade and the contrasts, from there i went and bought over the next few weeks all the albums. Each one is different and they all are great, i could have so easily missed an incredible band. ghost reveries was on constant play in my car for over a year with very little else played during that time, MAYH was also played for months on end, a rare treat to have music that withstands such repeated listening.
:headbang:

This is a bit long-winded, but I think it pretty much sums it up. It's from the post I made on Blackwater Park on my mp3 blog:

Before I bought [Blackwater Park] I'd been hearing a lot about Opeth, had read many a glowing review, and I didn't really know much about them or what they sounded like except for one or two tracks that I had stumbled upon. It didn't sound bad or anything, it just didn't speak to me. I thought I'd give the band another shot, so I went and bought Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. Gave it another listen and... Well, it sounded a little better than before, but still nothing earthshattering. Perhaps the three albums didn't do much for me because it was in the middle of summer. Opeth's music is many things, but "summery" isn't one of them.

Months later I went out for a long walk by myself on a beautiful, crisp afternoon in the fall (I even remember the date: October 15th). It wasn't too cold, not too warm - it was just right. The sun was shining, birds were tweeting and all trees and bushes had turned burning red, orange, yellow and pink. Blackwater Park was rumbling in the old headphones and finally I got it. I got it. The penny finally dropped and at last I understood just what Opeth was about.

The opening track, The Leper Affinity, certainly made me pay attention but by the time Bleak, Harvest and, most importantly, The Drapery Falls came along there was no longer any doubt: this is a fucking masterpiece, and that's final. An impeccable piece of work that's so much more than just music on a piece of plastic. I'm a fan of many bands and many types of music, but I don't recall ever being moved fundamentally , right to the core, the way I was on that day. Yes, I know it's getting pathetic but in all honesty Blackwater Park is the closest I've ever come to a spiritual (hell, religious even!) experience. Sure, many things played a major role, such as the place I was at in my life at the time, the mood I was in on that particular day, and of course the perfect autumn setting (Opeth is music for winter and autumn, no doubt about it). But at the heart of it all was the haunted, gorgeous sounds blaring into my impressionable little ears.

If you check out the album (and I strongly suggest you do) your reaction may very well be: "What the fuck is that idiot talking about? It isn't that good. It's death metal with some mellow shit thrown in. Big fucking deal. And spiritual? Religious?! This must be some bad joke. I bet he's on crack."

And that's perfectly fine. I don't expect anyone to feel as strongly as I do about anything, certainly not about something as subjective as music. But give it a try: Blackwater Park may be an eyeopener for you too. If not, maybe you'll appreciate it just for what it is on a more basic, down to earth level: A fucking excellent album.

Around the time Blackwater Park came out, I was making my baby steps into the metal genre. So I had this discussion with a guy from my school aobut great vocalists (I said Bruce Dickinson, for the record) and then he brought up a band called Opeth. Downloaded a couple of songs, yadda yadda yadda, I'm posting on the Opeth board with their entire discography behind me.