How did you hear about Opeth?

Undertow

Opeth Rule!
Aug 19, 2001
UK
Visit site
Somebody's probably asked this before, but seeing as how Opeth get no airplay and you can rarely find their stuff in the record shops, I was just wondering how everybody came across Opeth? Myself, I read about them in Kerrang magazine and heard one of their songs on a free compilation cd which was so good i went and got an album from that.

My brother leant me MAYH, and (after a few listens, not sure what the hell it was I was listening to) I was hooked. He then bought a copy of it for me for my birthday.

:)

I heard that Mikael sang on the "Brave Murder Day" and asked one friend for Opeth. Friend gave me "Still Life", but I disliked it. This CD lied at my table and once a mounth I listened to it and thought "What did they found in this?". At 4th listening, I got into Opeth so deep, that can consider myself really crazy on Opeth!

Originally posted by Undertow
Somebody's probably asked this before, but seeing as how Opeth get no airplay and you can rarely find their stuff in the record shops, I was just wondering how everybody came across Opeth? Myself, I read about them in Kerrang magazine and heard one of their songs on a free compilation cd which was so good i went and got an album from that.

Was that the one with the drapery falls on? I got that! Hehe :) I found them by searching for ethereal on Napster, looking for some nice relaxing ethereal music. You can guess the rest :)

i borrowed the BWP album of my friend, at my first listen i liked it until that is i heard the vocals :lol: , about a month later i was told that they were playing and as i was impressed with katatonia's recent show i thought that i'd go but only if i liked opeth as i remember liking the music but not the vocals. my parents were away and so i sat at the computer and decided to put some opeth on, for some reason it clicked and i ended up playing it really loud, from then on i never looked back.:D

by the way i saw Morningrise with a bonus track on it in HMV, i obviously didn't buy it as i'd already got it, i was just wondering what the song was called as i forget now, hmn, maybe i'll exchange my copy, hope theres no scratches on the cd.:loco:

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i borrowed the BWP album of my friend, at my first listen i liked it until that is i heard the vocals :lol: , about a month later i was told that they were playing and as i was impressed with katatonia's recent show i thought that i'd go but only if i liked opeth as i remember liking the music but not the vocals. my parents were away and so i sat at the computer and decided to put some opeth on, for some reason it clicked and i ended up playing it really loud, from then on i never looked back.:D
by the way i saw Morningrise with a bonus track on it in HMV, i obviously didn't buy it as i'd already got it, i was just wondering what the song was called as i forget now, hmn, maybe i'll exchange my copy, hope theres no scratches on the cd.:loco:

Eternal soul torture :)

You would never hear anything like this on the radio here in Virginia, but they did play The Funeral Portrait on the Comcast Metal channel. They had it at Best Buy, to my surprise. Then I ordered Morningrise and Orchid and am awaiting Still Life.

I was new to the internet at the time, and found a cool article about some band named Opeth. It was an account by some friend of the band or something, and was very informal. All I can remember was something about a patio door, and that it described the band, and the description made it sound like they were some unknown, unsigned band, but the story was pretty cool and made me interested in hearing them, though it did little to describe the music. They just seemed like an intriguing band from the story.

So off I went and found an mp3 clip (after much searching, there was no napster back then!!!) from their new album, about 2 minutes of To Bid You Farewell. It was, at that time, the most amazing thing I had ever heard. I immediately proceeded to make my first online CD purchase, and the rest just went from there....