Where did YOU first hear about Opeth?

I was tired of listening to radio music... REALLY tired. I hardly bought any albums at all because the new bands were pretty much all dismal and the old ones I loved back in the day had... changed.

So, browsing Amazon I found some good bands. Got some stuff from Soilwork and In Flames off Kazaa and liked those a lot. I went to buy their albums since they were obviously worth having. In the discussions on Amazon I saw a lot of people referring to Opeth. I downloaded "Blackwater Park" and was really impressed with the atmosphere. I'd never heard anything that surreal and aggressive at the same time. Downloaded the "The Leper Affinity" and was still real impressed, so I went and bought the real CD. The next week I picked up Deliverance and Morningrise, and so on, and so forth...

I heard about them when I got an issue of Metal Maniacs, the one that came with the Opeth/Impaled Nazarene poster. I put it up because my walls were bare, and soon after, one of my mates asked me "Who's Opeth?" and all I could say was "Uh I dunno...some metal band..." So quite quickly I decided to download some songs by them...don't want to be a poser after all! Hehe... Anyway, I downloaded 'Deliverance', then 'Blackwater Park', 'Demon Of The Fall', and 'Bleak'. The first few times I listened to 'Deliverance' I wasn't too keen on the death vocals, but the song lengths were really intriguing, as was the mix of heavy and mellow, both in style and vocals. Needless to say I was hooked. Within a month of hearing them for the first time I bought Damnation from a local music shop and ordered the rest off a New Zealand website.

It sounds kinda cheesy and pretty cliché'd, but discovering Opeth pretty much changed my life, at least in a musical sense. I never really used to like death/black metal, but ever since those first chords and dissonant lead guitaring of 'Deliverance' exploded through my speakers [gotta love that cheesy statement ;)] I've been getting into more 'extreme' underground music such as Amon Amarth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, and Tiamat. Not very underground I know, but it doesn't take much to be 'underground' in New Zealand!

And there's my story!

i was at audiogalaxy about a year before it closed down. nobody ever told me about them, i merely found a song called "Demon of the Fall" . . .

dorian gray said:
just wondering, do you still like dream theater?

sadly, no.. i can't listen to them now without getting a chill down my spine from the cheesiness of it all. i dunno... it's not like i outright hate them or anything, just not really my thing anymore.

#metalheadz or #metalmetal on EFnet. I was copying down some of the names as the packet numbers came up, one of which being Opeth. I hopped on k-lite and downloaded 5 songs* of theirs. (I think it was Bleak, Blackwater Park, Black Rose Immortal, Masters Apprentices, and Deliverance). Afterwards I listened to those songs on repeat for HOURS. Finally bought the albums and am one happy man. My favorite band to date.

**NOTE: Strange rule of mine, I always download at least 5 songs to check out an artist. You never know when you'll download a song of their's and it being just some track they did that doesn't represent their style at all.

err GameFAQs, Music: Metal message board was the first place i heard of them.
I mentioned it to a friend who had a brother with a big metal collection, and he brought still life over for a listen.

I was immediately hooked.

I heard about them in the official John Petrucci forum. It's sort of a standard procedure, every newbie on the forum is suggested to listen to Opeth. I'm still very thankful.

ErikSchierboom said:
I heard about them in the official John Petrucci forum. It's sort of a standard procedure, every newbie on the forum is suggested to listen to Opeth. I'm still very thankful.

I'm new to opeth

I picked up the damnation cd when i previewed it at a borders music store
I fell in love with the cd

I did a little search on the band and i found out they had other cds out and i became interested
the second cd i baught was bwp and recently deliverance

I cant get enough of their awesome talent