Where did YOU first hear about Opeth?

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't locate it in a search, so apologies first. I find it interesting to learn others' first experiences with bands and I was wondering if anyone would like to share. That knowledge also helps me find new bands to listen to. I first heard of Opeth a couple years ago in a fairly common magazine that I can't remember the name of (it WAS a couple years ago). They were running a series of interesting bands from various genres each month. As a fan of progressive stuff, I got excited when the "progressive" issue came out. They happened to feature an interesting-sounding band from Sweden called Opeth. The description seemed to fit what I was looking for so I went and found me an album. Needless to say, I must've played BWP a million consecutive times and I'm still hooked. Does anyone remember that series of articles or the magazine? I'd like to know so maybe I could get a back-copy. My method of looking through metal magazines only works about 50% of the time though. For every Opeth and Nightwish I get a Nile and Lacuna Coil (nothing against the latter bands, I just personally couldn't stand them). Thanks for reading.....

I was at a mates house browsing through all his songs on his computer & i came across Opeth. I thought to myself ''What a great name for a band'' & clicked on one or two of their songs to have a listen, i think it was ''Moonlapse Vertigo'' & ''Under The Weeping Moon'' but i'm not sure because it was quite sometime ago & i really liked what i heard.

So around about 2 weeks later i was down in Sydney at Utopia Records & i noticed they had Still Life for $19.99 so i decided to buy it & it was fucking brilliant. I gradually bought all there albums & now there my favourite band.

My friend and I have a hobby of going to music stores and browsing for bands we have never heard of, but sound cool and look cool. So he buys My Arms you Hearse because the album cover sort of stood out a little. The next thig you know were in Florida for vacation and I buy Black Water Park, and i never looked at music the same way.

it was like 3 or so years ago and i was in a metal chat room and someone was going off about Opeth and how much they owned...so i said id like to hear it and they told me to download some...i downloaded Blackwater Park and immediately loved it...after that i downloaded Black Rose Immortal and again was blown away....

^ its alright, i heard of them back when i was into nu-metal, couple years back...
not surprisingly, i was talking about Otep to my then gf, and she told me how one of her friends is really into a band called Opeth, and i listened to some..... one of the first real metal bands that i liked, probably effected how i listen to music today, and still one of my favorite bands

Wolftribe said:
^ its alright, i heard of them back when i was into nu-metal, couple years back...
not surprisingly, i was talking about Otep to my then gf, and she told me how one of her friends is really into a band called Opeth, and i listened to some..... one of the first real metal bands that i liked, probably effected how i listen to music today, and still one of my favorite bands

Don't Lie......................You had a GF? :erk:

J/K You know I love ya! ;)

I discovered opeth through metallica.com's message board. Then I heard them on launch.com. The rest is history bros.
jump3.gif

When i first got into most of the stuff i listen to now by way of In Flames "trigger" being featured on the Freddy vs. Jason soundtrack(insert n00b to m3t4l jokes here).

Once I bought some IF albums RTR, TJR, Clayman I began searching for more bands and heard Opeth mentioned numerous times. One day I was in my local HMV and out of the blue picked up Damnation and Deliverance without actually hearing any songs by them soon after i bought Sill Life. Although I only have 3 of there albums(id buy them if my HMV carried them) I have enough of a sense of the band to know, their utterly brilliant.

An online friend of mine mentioned Opeth in a post on his site. He said something like "Despite everybody's immediate reaction to the vocals, Opeth is a great band." He always uploaded a lot of music to his site directories, so I checked out the two Opeth songs he had uploaded. The Twilight Is My Robe and To Bid You Farewell. I believe I listened to the former first. I was stunned.

I looked for them the very next time I was at the store. Blackwater Park was all they had, so I bought it. I ordered Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life, and Deliverance on Amazon a little later... Damnation and Lamentations are the only works released while I've known about the band, and I've seen them on both tours!

my friend told me to listen to black water park...i didnt like it at all
a while later as i was getting more and more into "real metal" i started dl some still life shit and i fell in love. to this day, opeth is one of my fav bands. along with iron maiden and shadows fall \m/

kno talint said:
i was getting more and more into "real metal" i started dl some still life shit and i fell in love. to this day, opeth is one of my fav bands. along with iron maiden and shadows fall \m/

curious.. do you consider Shadows Fall to be "real metal". no i know people are going to probably debate but their more "metal core" than real metal. i have nothing against the band but im just being a dick while i find things to do on this boring night.

dorian gray said:
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't locate it in a search, so apologies first. I find it interesting to learn others' first experiences with bands and I was wondering if anyone would like to share. That knowledge also helps me find new bands to listen to. I first heard of Opeth a couple years ago in a fairly common magazine that I can't remember the name of (it WAS a couple years ago). They were running a series of interesting bands from various genres each month. As a fan of progressive stuff, I got excited when the "progressive" issue came out. They happened to feature an interesting-sounding band from Sweden called Opeth. The description seemed to fit what I was looking for so I went and found me an album. Needless to say, I must've played BWP a million consecutive times and I'm still hooked. Does anyone remember that series of articles or the magazine? I'd like to know so maybe I could get a back-copy. My method of looking through metal magazines only works about 50% of the time though. For every Opeth and Nightwish I get a Nile and Lacuna Coil (nothing against the latter bands, I just personally couldn't stand them). Thanks for reading.....

Hey dorian Gray, could that progressive issue you're talking about be Terrorizer? They did an issue on progressive bands and I think some other bands featured in it were Rush and Ulver. I knew about Opeth in high school because of my underground metal friends who introduced me to the scene. One of them had a morningrise t-shirt when that was the latest album by them. My first listen to them was actually from the firestarter compilation cd I bought from Century Media (Nectar was on it). My first Opeth purchase was My Arms Your Hearse when it came out, I read some great reviews from magazines such as Terrorizer and the concept of the album was enough to tickle my interest. It was history after then. I bought morningrise a week later and Orchid a few months after, and bought every album after that in order as soon as they were made available. :headbang:

I would have to agree it was the cover art that really grabbed my attention. I had seen advertisements for Opeth's albums in Metal Maniacs years ago and remembered as well the description of the music. I was just browsing through a music store years later and ran across the Morningrise album and really loved the sombre cover art. And when I heard Morningrise, I thought it was the most majestic and most impressive album I had heard in years. I waited in anticipation for every note and key change. The opening of the album was really interesting where it started off sounding like happy metal then all of a sudden fell to some saddening hellish metal. Fucking awesome!

I actually stumbled upon a tab.....

back in 2001.

It was bleak I think....bleak or leper affinity.....I think both.

I started to play them and I thought "What is this band?" So I played more and loved it, and I decided to download a song, and I did, and I fell in love with the band. Now I own their whole catalog (all bought because I still believe in supporting the bands) and a DVD, I have been to a concert, and consider myself a true fan because there is no other band in the world with this perfection of style, and feeling put out through the music.