Where did YOU first hear about Opeth?

I read a review of Orchid in Close Up Magazine. If I'm not mistaken, it was Åsa Swanö (she wasn't called Swanö back then, but you know who I mean) who wrote the review, and she was raving about how awesome this album was so I decided to pick it up. At first, I thought it was kind of weird, but then parts of it started to stick and I found it to be really good. The next Opeth album I bought was Still Life I think. Like I said, I thought Orchid was a bit weird, so I never got around to checking out Morningrise and MAYH back then. But when I got Still Life, I was SOLD! This album was so fucking great I couldn't believe it! So I immediately got MAYH and Morningrise and now I love it all :)

I was in Amoeba music in Berkeley and thought I'd check out the Black Metal section and Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH were displayed out above the Opeth section. I thought the covers were cool and the length of many of the songs perked my interest so I asked the buyer for that section what he knew about them and he told me that if I liked Tool, which I do, then I'd dig Opeth. I bought the first three that night and the rest soon after that. That was in 2001. Been a fan ever since. Great band.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and stories. I've enjoyed every one. Miller High Death appears to be the longest-standing Opeth fan I've run across on this site. I seem to fit in with the average - slipping in the back door post-BWP. Can't blame my tardiness though, I'm not a death metal fan - more into progressive metal - at least I made an effort to branch out....

Miller High Death....awwwwwwesome name. Best I've seen so far. Yes, that magazine would have been Terrorizer. I'm amazed you even remember the other bands that were featured. That had to be sometime in 2002. Thanks for reminding me by the way.

You must've been in high school as the same time as me - or close to it - if someone was wearing a Morningrise t-shirt. I wonder where I'd be today if I listened to death metal back then. I was too busy with Yngwie! Ha! Is he still alive? I saw his fat face somewhere in a magazine awhile back.

i was into nu-metal and tool etc early last year and i was working at a place called "Hungry Jack's" which is Burger King with a different name, there was this metal head there (who looks exactley like , mendez) said theres this awesome band called opeth, when the store was closed and we were doing clean up he put on blackwater park, so i listened, didnt liek the death vox to begin with but when parts of bleak and harvest, the drapery falls came on and i asked what this song was called, and then i downloaded it, then bought it and gradually went through all the albums

I've always liked death vocals, I find them incredibly intense, but I'd never realy gotten into the standard death metal music like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide. I kept hearing good things about Opeth around the place, so I downloaded 2-3 songs. It was 'The Funeral Portrait' that realy stuck, but when a mate bought Morningrise and I had a listen to it, I was simply blown away. I borrowed it for a couple of weeks and then bought Still Life. I've got them all now, and I find their old material surpasses their new stuff greatly.

A guy linked to Credence on a forum. I downloadet, liked it, began browsing their site wondering why the headbanged :D Then I heard DoTF, thought they weren't serious musicians, and layed of them for three weeks. After those three weeks I was used to those vocals and I downloaded the rest of MAYH.

I'm short of cash and shit, it's been 1,5 years and still I only have D1, D2 and Lamentations :(

I first read about Opeth in the www.metal-observer.com database. Each of their albums was rated 9/10 or 10/10, and every review praised the beauty and genius of their music. I downloaded a few songs, bought an album, and so on.. :)

I heard an Opeth song - i think it was Karma - in the german radio ... radio fritz, the program's name is Stahlwerk. Yes, i was excited, because this combinition of mellow and growled stuff was great. So i downloaded DotF, because it was the most available song on Soulseek. And so and so on ...

Now i have nearly all LPs and went to their last gig in Berlin (missed one gig :( ).

I think it was around February 2003 or so, I usually go to musicianforums.com and they kept talking about opeth so I asked what's a good song and someone told me to download 'when' and at first the death metal vocals really turned my off because I didn't like death metal at all back then, but some parts of that song really stood out. For example, that clean part around 3 minutes right after the solo, it's a depressing part but it really captured my attention and soon after I got used to death vocals and started getting more opeth songs.

I recently bought Still Life and MAYH and I plan to get them all.

I heard The Funeral Portrait on Music Choice (digital cable music stations) about two years ago and I was floored. Then they started to play Deliverance, and that sealed the deal with me and Opeth.

MetalManCPA said:
I was listening to cable tv digital radio, and Bleak came on - 1st time I ever heard of Opeth.

I've never heard Bleak on Music Choice, just The Funeral Portrait, Deliverance and BTPISIO.

I read a review on powermetal.de...checked out some samples from amazon...BRI sounded cool and blackmetalish, so i downloaded it off audiogalaxy. I fell in love with that song and Opeth. Afterwards I recruited several new Opeth fans using icq and webboards who also followed the path of the missionary...
As an indirect result, opeth.ch , the biggest Opeth fansite with german language was founded...

I'm awesome..hail me :headbang:

;)

First time I heard about Opeth was in a Tool DC hub. I downloaded a few songs then bought the full library . Oh yeah , Ive also seen them twice at the 9:30 club in Washington DC.